>>>>

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Story as it Unfolds ---

bestrfriendsred1
I am so thankful for my friends!
 
The plan yesterday was for the guys to go up to the cabin ahead of me...to stock the wood for the wood stove by the covered back door because of the incoming weather -- to warm up the house, etc. DH and Jeff headed out about 4pm, to meet Jason who was driving up from Columbia SC.
 
I was going to pick dad up at the airport when his flight got in at 6:22.  I got to the top of the driveway and something didn't feel right.

I had a flat front drivers side tire.  Do you know how STUPID it is to try to get a spare out from UNDER the van?  
 
Thank heavens it didn't happen on the interstate.  I was safe here at home.  I called my friend Lisa -- she sent her hubby over while she went and got dad.  I sent dad a text telling him who to look for.
 
By the time it was all said and done, I had a guy from across the street, a co-worker of The Hubster's who lives not too far away, and Lisa's hubby all helping with the tire.  We had to borrow a jack because the one that came with the van wouldn't lift the van high enough to get the flat off.
 
SO --- Dad and I went to dinner at Chopstix, a local place less than 5 miles away.  (Yes, that is as close as it gets out here in the boonies!) and talked about our plans --We came home, watched some TV, he went to bed, I went to bed....and now I'm up again listening to the freezing rain outside of my windows.
 
The plan is to get the tire fixed as soon as the roads are safe ---and I can't really see what is going on until it is daylight outside ---but the weather channel says it's 32 right now with light rain/freezing rain and it isn't safe to go out driving with a donut on the van in that.
 
So I'm making the best of it ---we will get there when we get there, and it may be burgers tonight for everyone if we get there too late to start cooking a turkey today!
 
It has been nice having dad all to myself for a bit.  It's been almost 2 years since I have seen him -- far too long!
 
I'll keep you updated as the drama unfolds....it will be a Thanksgiving to remember, that's for sure!  As I type this dad is still asleep in the guestroom upstairs. 
 
It’s all good.  Not as I had planned, but all good.
 
So back to the antiquing thing in Fort Worth last Thursday!  It already feels like it was a month ago!
 
Dianne’s hubby is from Germany, and we had talked a bit about my upcoming trip to Germany ((We leave December 6th I can’t wait!)) and as we started to paw through some linens…look what we found:
 
Granbury_FW_TX2013 260
 
An apron with a pocket for “Klammern” or Clothes pins!
 
Granbury_FW_TX2013 255
 
A hand embroidered linen towel for covering the laundry basket.
 
Granbury_FW_TX2013 256
 
Another one for when the wash is clean, or fresh!
 
Granbury_FW_TX2013 257
 
And a bed pillow cover with a beautiful saying!
 
“Streut Blumen der Liebe bei Lebenszeit und bewahret einander vor Herzeleid."
It  translates somewhat literally to "Scatters flowers of love in life, and keep each other from heartache."
 
And this word I new instantly:
 
Granbury_FW_TX2013 259
 
It’s a sewing machine cover!!
 
Dianna bought both the Streut Blumen and the Nahmaschine, but that silly girl gifted ME the nahmaschine piece later that evening in the car!
 
Cabin_Nov2013 083
 
To keep the dust off!
 
Cabin_Nov2013 084
 
Thank you, Dianne!
 
Things are getting lighter outside, and I can now see through the rainy dawn just what is going on out there.  I’ll keep my eye on the weather channel, and when it is safe to head out, we will make our way up to the cabin.
 
Happy Tuesday, Everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:37 AM EST

    Hope you get an AAA membership for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift, and a wonderful memory trigger for you! Drive safely and have a great day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping you get to safely leave soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AA may not be the answer. When my van had a flat in my driveway, the AA man could not figure out how to get to the spare tire. He just blew up the flat one and sent me to the closest garage to get it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOPS!!! I meant AAA, not AA. AA is the answer for some issues, just not flat tires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I love those linens! Stay safe, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do hope things get better and you are not too long delayed. But you will get there when you get there.

    The linens were absolutely beautiful so thanks for sharing.
    Regards, Linda in England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That clothes pin apron is genius. I want it. I hang my clothes out (even in the winter) and that would be great. I am so making one. Love your antique jaunts. The machine cover is lovely. I just have a flour sack dish towel over mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Husband & sons need to start cooking! Remember you'll get to the cabin, and the weather outside will be frosty and everything inside will be great, who knows you may even brave a walkabout outside .. .
    Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana from SC8:48 AM EST

    Hope you get AAA for Christmas....give it a try with all the traveling you do. Have a safe trip and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet of Dianna to gift you the machine cover!! It is perfect!!
    Side note on AAA . . . member since 1987. In 2006, while my Aunt was visiting, the car died in an intersection 2 miles from home and called them. They never came!!! My husband reached us before they did. Called again and they had no record of my cell phone call. Not exactly a confidence builder! Stick with your friends and neighbors. If you are out on the road, call your guild contact. I'd wager your network is wider and more reliable than AAA. Hugs, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  12. A couple of years ago my husband suggested that we NOT renew AAA. The *day* that our membership expired my car had a flat (in the library parking lot). I called AAA, had the flat fixed, and renewed our membership that evening. We've kept it up ever since.

    As for the bluework -- lovely pieces. I began collecting outline embroidery (red and blue; other colors, too) when I lived in Texas in the 1970's. Since then it has become much more popular and much harder to find vintage pieces. I need to revisit my stash....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bygone beauties ... how many of us today cover our laundry? Times do change. It is terrific someone saved the lady's hand work for generations to come.

    "All is well" Bonnie. You will have a wonderful Thanksgiving no matter where or when --- having the love of your family around you.

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Be safe :0).
    Love vintage linens, these were all hand made so lovingly, maybe given for a bridal shower....maybe by a sweet MIL to be :0).

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  15. wouldn't be the first time weather has changed plans...at least you are safe, warm, have food and loved ones....that is really thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely machine cover! What treasures. I'm glad they found good homes. : )
    You may already do this, but if not--I would suggest grabbing some Reynolds oven bags, turkey size, if you have a chance to stop at a grocery store. Turkeys cook up much faster in those, so you may still be able to do it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nobody remembers the holidays when it all went right; they all mesh together. The ones that stand out are the ones where something unusual happens. Enjoy the unusual. And, be safe. lane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is wishing you a safe journey and a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quite a few years ago, we had an ice storm in NE on Thanksgiving. The power was out all day. Luckily we had a fireplace, so with my father-in-law and his wife visiting, we cooked hot dogs over the fire for our dinner! We had turkey the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are safe. Have a great Thanksgiving wherever you are. Time with your Dad is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you get to have your turkey today since not everyone can be there tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stay safe and enjoy your dad. And as you say, you'll get there, when you get there. Things have a way of working out as they should. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck and stay safe. I hope you get to the cabin and can enjoy the wonderful Thanksgiving day festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We lived in Germany for three years back in the seventies. Love those linens with the German words. Can't wait for the quiltalong.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)