>>>>

Monday, November 18, 2013

Sewing Machine Obsession!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 008
Mary Beth picked me up at DFW yesterday afternoon and we discussed our plans for my time her over lunch at Panera.

Two things I love from Panera ---Fuji Apple Chicken Salad, and the Autumn Squash soup!  YUMMY!

Mary Beth had emailed me earlier in the week, with an offer to stop by Jan’s house and visit her sewing machine collection.

Would I like to go?

Did she even have to ASK!?

Of course I wanted to go!  It’s a lot of fun to talk to someone who has the same penchant for these old vintage beauties that I do.

There is something so exciting about seeing a treadle stand with a bonnet hiding the machine underneath ---



Granbury_FW_TX2013 009

We lifted the lid to reveal a Wheeler Wilson #8!

This is such a fun machine to sew on ---it reminds me of clocks and watches that had “see through” covers so that you could watch all the inner workings as the clock ticked.  All of the moving parts on this machine are exposed, so you see the arms moving and doing their job to make each stitch.  Fascinating!  This machine dates from the 1880s.

Jan loves to collect the ones that are a bit harder to find than “regular” Singers.  This one is really rare:

Granbury_FW_TX2013 004

Wheeler Wilson “Half Pint”!

I had never seen one of these before!  It’s about the size of a featherweight ---and was made to be either hand cranked as shown – or if you look closely, you will see a groove between the right side of the base and the machine ---

This little guy could sit atop a treadle base and be treadled as well!  I was all agog over this sweet machine!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 005

The coveted Singer model 12!

I believe this is 1880s also --- but look at those glorious decals!  The fiddle base shape is so graceful!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 006

Not sure which model this is – 128? 

I had not seen these decals close up and in person before – and they are lovely!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 007

Davis Vertical Feed!

The Vertical Feed machines are very sought after – they have no feed dogs.  The foot is a walking foot, and iot was cool to sew on it and see that foot do it’s thing!

I have a Davis at home – just a regular vibrating shuttle model, but still searching for a needle bar clamp for it – it is an odd size, and all of the spare parts I’ve found so far do not fit. I’ll keep looking!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 011

White!  I love the curly-q thread tensioner on top!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 013

The arm says White SMC  for Sewing Machine Company.

Isn’t that cameo on the bed pretty??

Granbury_FW_TX2013 014

Lovely Damascus in a gorgeous tiger oak parlour cabinet!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 016

Damascus is made by National – just like my Betsy Ross up at the Cabin.

Same crazy threading and weird tension system!  We had a good giggle about that!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 017

Fiddle base singer –I don’t remember model number on this one!  Sweet!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 022

This silhouette is distinctly NEW HOME!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 023

Cute little cabinet and a great pedal with NEW HOME in bold letters!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 018

AHHHHHHH!!!  A 66 with Lotus Decals!  STILL on my bucket list!

Granbury_FW_TX2013 019

Beloved Red Eye!

Red Eye 66 machines are not rare by any means – they were made by the many thousands, but the decals were such a favorite, and are so beautifully distinctive that no collection is complete with out a Red Eye machine!

We had a wonderful visit, and I’ll be seeing Jan again in my class today --- I am MOST excited to introduce her to Allison who is also a vintage machine nut.  I’m almost scared of what will happen when I put these two in the same room ---but I have a feeling it is going to be marvelous!

And with that, I better throw myself together and get myself breakfasted and ready to head out!  26 students in a Blue Ridge Beauty workshop today, followed by a lecture tonight.  It’s going to be a busy day in Granbuiry, Texas!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

14 comments:

  1. The 2 fiddle base machines took my eye, but all are lovely, thank you both for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bonnie,

    I think the Singer you showed is a 28K because the spoolsystem is low on the machine. I also have a 28K, a 66 Lotus and some (;-)) other old machines.
    I loved to see the pictures of all those fabulous machines! A lot of oh's and ah's over here.....
    With love from the Netherlands,
    Anne Claudine
    quiltenco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome collection! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful machines-bet my kids would have a fit if I had that many in my collection! I would be totally walled in by treadle machines and their cabinets! Love Jan's wonderful collection. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pictures! I knew my mom's treadle wasn't a singer. From your pictures, I think it must be a New Home. Hers has that piece in the middle and the very tall thing that goes up and down. ( You can tell I don't know the names of the parts of a sewing machine!) I need to get a good look at it when I go home for Christmas. It would be fun to figure out the date it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have me drooling again. I want more vintage machines every time you post pictures of them... hmmmm a Red Eye, A Fiddllebase, Treacle, Wheeler & Wilson. Oh how I love all the decals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness... me too... I am drooling at the beauty! What an amazing collection of vintage machines! It's like a quilter's heaven there!
    Does she want to adopt a daughter?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing love the old machines. Would love a treadle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love reading your descriptions and explanations. You are educating me and so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too loved reading all about these lovely old machines and getting to see great pictures of them. I hear you talk about the old ones all the time on Quilt Cam, so it's nice to see what some of them look like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tx Jan does have some beautiful machines and a dear friend of mine. That little singer 12 is really mine thanks to Jan. I will visit her this spring and deliver another antique machine to her and pick up my singer 12. She flies to Huntsville and we attend the Tenn Toga just a few miles from here and we have the best time. Bonnie I know you a nice visit with Jan and her machines. Jan is the best.
    Skip in Huntsville(The Rocket City)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful set of machines. I bet you had lots of fun touring that collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love to see all these machines. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. reading this and seeing these pictures... i just have to let you know i bought a handcranck pfaff today that has the birthyear 1914. it is an 11 model if i am correct. it still has those bobbins and a shuttle with it and if cleaned and oiled correct it schould sew smooth and nicely. i think it is a 1 stich only sewing machine but i am not sure, just got it today for 20 euro. it has very nice decals on it and i already named her granny after my grandmom who had the same year of birth. i guess that, together with my 1902 singer treadle machine, this will be all of the vintage machines i will be able to house... but i sure do love them very very much! thank you for charing these pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)