This backing is a MONSTER!
Who’s big idea was it to make this a king sized quilt to fit the king bed at the cabin, anyway?
That would be ME!
After I sent off the last two sections of the next book to my editor this morning ((YES!! WE DID IT!! It is ALL in the capable hands of Jenifer now!)) I started measuring and figuring and deciding what to do.
After trying the quilt on the bed, I added about 1.5” to the width of the originally planned outer border so that it would hang right. I know it is going to shrink up in quilting a bit. ALL quilts do.
I had purchased fabric in Pennsylvania with Mary Koval on one of our running around shopping days this past July – and I knew even then that this quilt was going to be big ---but not THIS big! I ended up “THAT MUCH” too short.
I love this fabric though! It’s got all of our colors for Celtic Solstice in it – so what can I do?
I pulled a second contrasting fabric to be an accent stripe!
Isn't this blue beady fabric fun?
Cut several 8” widths of the blue bead fabric…and sew end to end.
Insert the blue strips between lengths of the green originally intended backing fabric!
It’s even a monster to iron!
But here is the blue stripe inserted between the panels of green. There will be TWO blue stripes..I’m in the process of treadling the next panel together! Yes. Treadling. By far my 227M is the smoothest treadle machine in the fleet! She doesn’t have pretty decals – but what a smooth sailing machine.
I better get back to it….I’d like to get this loaded in the machine this evening ---but then….
I just remembered….
I’m going to have to piece a batting too! I don’t have a king batting on hand. I’ll cut from my roll to get the length I need and add to the width with remnants I’ve got laying around.
If I don’t resurface any time soon – send a search party!