>>>>

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

That Hexagon Medallion Journey!

Long-Term Projects:
My Hexagon Medallion Quilt in English Paper Piecing.


((Note--- as far back as I can remember, this project was started in the spring of 1999, when my Grandmother's health was failing. I started it as a carry-along to take on my visit to Arizona from where I lived in Idaho ---and it has been a take along project ever since, spanning more than 12 years to date. My thoughts below were written before blogging and do not include specific dates on each bit of progress....))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love take-along projects! I love being able to make a good use out of otherwise wasted time. Time spent sitting in doctor's and dentist's offices, kids practices and ball games, long car trips, waiting in airports and sitting on planes can all be put to good use! I keep an on-going project in a tote bag always ready to grab when I head out the door for anything that might have even 10 minutes of waiting time.

I have been working on this current project for more than two years now, and it is coming along slowly, but it is coming along none the less! I have previously made a traditional grandmother's flower garden quilt, pieced in the regular way without foundation papers, but I wanted this one to be different.

I was inspired by an antique hexagon quilt in a medallion style, and being the scrap quilter that I am, decided to stick with a color scheme, but use lots of fabrics within the color scheme to achieve the look of unity that I wanted without boring me to tears by using only 3 fabrics. Why use only 3 when you can use hundreds?? *grin*

I started with hexagon graph paper and colored pencils and just began filling in with colors where I thought they would look good. I began in the middle with a traditional flower motif, and expanded it into a star..and from there farther on out repeating the star points with other motifs in them, the flowers, the diamonds, and etc.

Here is a pic of the center. It measures 32" across.

I worked in small units and then added the units to the center once I had the center star done...I am now working on the larger star points that will echo the first. They are made up of triangles with a flower motif in them, stitched on either side of a diamond.

Here is a pic of the center with one star point laid out against it:

Only 5 more points to go! Then I will start on the larger diamond motifs that will go between these larger star points.

I really love the look of these antique greens, reds, and shirtings...I have also monkeyed with some different borders that will frame the whole thing, but I honestly don't know how large it will be when done because I am just winging it as I go along.


More progress! 1/2 of the star points are done....I'm still working on it now and then!

For now, I will just keep my little "busy bag" hanging on the doorknob in my quilting room, ready to be grabbed when I head out the door for anything that might turn into more "found time!"


Update 2010!

After a long hiatus, I've started back on this project again! Hexagons really DO travel well, and here is what I've accomplished over the past few months:


It's a bit blurry, but it is coming along! I'm now working on the flowers that go in the next round:

It's "STILL" a fun journey, even if it doesn't have a destination or date of arrival!


Feb 5, 2011 -- Still Growing!~ I've got half of the floral border around the star sewn on! It's been traveling with me on all my trips across country and back to teach for guilds and quilt shows. It will be traveling to Germany and back with me in a few weeks to teach there too -- It's an international project!

August 1st, 2011 ---And growing some more! I'm adding the border units that will square off the quilt...the two sides are now added:


11 comments:

  1. This quilt will be a wonderful memorial to your grandmother - Hoping to see the finished quilt here someday... I'm so in love with this hexie layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about an update? It has been almost three months since your last report on this project. I'm lovin' it or I wouldn't ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:44 PM EST

    Bonnie I love your hexagon quilt! How big will it be and what size
    Are the hexagons? I love Orca Bay too.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one who loves this quilt. Have wanted to do a hexagon quilt for ages, but not the usual layout. Would you mind if I copied this one. It's just stunning. What size are the hexagons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:13 AM EDT

    Wow! I love it every time I see it. Lucky me, I got to see this in person when you were at our guild in Fredericksburg, VA last year. I always say that H-A-N-D work is a 4 letter word and I don't want to do any of that but your hexie quilt makes me want to change my mind!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:05 PM EDT

    My mother shared a picture of this quilt with me and I fell in love!!! I can't wait for you to finish it. Mom and I are both doing hexy quilts and I hadn't desided desided on a design yet but I would love to use this one, with your permision of course. This will be my 3rd quilt and I'm very excited about it. I've never been to a "Guild" as I dabble in a LOT of crafts, but would love to see more of your works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! What a lovely idea! I am sure I could never execute such a pattern. Do finish it quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful! It's grown into a true beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, are you going to sell this pattern in the future? I've just discovered hexies, and would love to start on this pattern. Yes, I know that it took you YEARS to put this together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size are your hexagons, and did you purchase pre cut paper pieces? Will you bring your hexies when you visit Helena MT this summer? We'd love to see your take along tote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made one of these medallion quilts. Now I don't know how to finish the outside edges. Do you cut the hexies off to get a straight edge? It has taken me nearly 2 years to get this far, and I love it very much.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)