>>>>

Saturday, April 08, 2023

Just Me & My Girls!


Thursday was haircut & errand day - but after that, when I found that I still had plenty of daylight and the evening was relatively warm, and checking the forecast ahead for Easter weekend which is incredibly cold and rainy, I gathered up the dogs and headed out to Grayson Highlands to squeeze in an evening hike before dinner.

With this fickle weather, it came to be the only time I'd be able to get some steps in through the weekend. 

The mantra? "Grab it while you can!" because rain can come tomorrow!

This view is from the top of Grassy Creek rd.  The surrounding hills will be even greener thanks to the rain that fell all yesterday and through the night and will continue this morning.

Those trees?  They still need leaves!  But that will come too.


We were pleasantly surprised to come across ponies close by the horse trail gate that we like to walk up - they were just right there waiting for us!


Hi sweet baby! Nice to meet you!


The dogs however couldn't care less about the ponies - they were just raring to go!


I love how they pretty much stay shoulder-to-shoulder even though their double tether gives them a bit of room to spread a bit.

There were so many smells - I didn't think we'd EVER get to the top of this hill!


Ponies in the brush

We didn't see new foals on this hike - maybe it's a bit early yet, but I usually start seeing them around this time of year.

This is about 6:30pm (Loving that it is still light out!) and there were not many other people out hiking at all.

I did run across a father & son duo who were packing it in and planning to overnight at the top of Mt. Rogers, the highest peak in Virginia.

I love finding out about people - they were visiting from Charlottesville which is about 4 hours away.  The son is graduating high school and this was a promised dad/son trip.  Love it!

They planned to pack out early yesterday morning before the rain started - I hope they made it.  Because it raind ALL. DAY. LONG.


Girls at "the bench" - our half-way resting spot.


Trying to get them to pose by the AT trail sign?

Didn't work too well!


Grabbing some sippies by a burbling spring.


I'm not a fan of vertical photographs - but it was the only way to catch them and the horizon in the same shot.


Some grazers - (Some in the distance to the right)


That fresh grass must be pretty tasty!


Munching away -

It's getting me hungry for my own dinner, too.  Time to make our way back to the van and head on home for some eats and some evening sewing on that binding.


Right up against the fence...not scared of people or dogs at all.


What's going on in my world now?

Well, after the intense piecing of the last few projects I needed something simple.

Four-patches always fit the bill. 

And not in a miniature size either.  A fairly "normal" size foe something that is piece-easy and fun.

Using some of my favorite oldies in red and neutral.

There just may be some recycled plaids/stripes/prints pulled in to.

This quilt is not about reinventing the wheel.  It's something time-honored and familiar.

And that feels "just right" to me right now.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

It's all about perspective, and sometimes we need to look at life from a different angle to understand where others are coming from.
If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!


 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 AM EDT

    Thank you for this post. Love seeing the dogs and ponies. You are so blessed to be enjoying such a happy life. You have made my quilting world so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita Balgenorth9:29 AM EDT

    Your neutrals are so interesting - love the scissors and the ones with lines I don’t recognize 😊 so fun to see all your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:12 AM EDT

    That's a Wayne Dyer quote - If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. And it's true! What we focus on is important. The other stuff will fade to the background. So let's focus on love, compassion & kindness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing some fiddly paper piecing recently too, and when I pull 2.5" squares for a Leader-Ender, they feel ginormous in comparison! I'm still stumbling across Y2K fabric as well, usually just about the time I think I've used it all up....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shot of Mabel in the dry creekbed--perfect camouflage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bonnie, Thank you so much for brightening up my days! Love seeing the puppies and the ponies. Praying for a speedy recovery for Tula too! She's such a precious little kitty! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photograph at the top of your post is gorgeous! What a beautiful countryside. I am curious about the quilt shown in you quote photo. It is so interesting. Any idea what that block is? I can’t figure it out (how it’s put together).

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was reading this I just realized that I had not gotten on yesterday to see what you were up to... It was crazy busy getting things ready for the big Easter feast today. Thank you so much for always sharing your hikes. You always seem to know when I need to see the countryside. At least it has stopped raining and is warming up just a bit again. I know what you mean about needing to do something simple after a complex project or two. And I absolutely love the quote. There is always two different ways to look at the same thing! I hope you all have had a wonderful and blessed Easter Sunday. We kept it simple and stayed home, as always. I hope to get some sewing time in tomorrow, since I am home from school. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)