>>>>

Saturday, April 22, 2023

From My Cutting Table -


While the quilters quilted, and the Hubster was busy making a dozen (Or so it seemed) traps for the big and buzzy bumbling carpenter bees that are partying it up and boring holes into every aspect of the inn and garage that they can -

I took to my ironing board to press strips of recycled shirt plaids, stripes and prints and set to pairing them with assorted neutrals to cut triangle pairs.

How many did I cut?

Not sure exactly - just enough to get me going for a while and then when I felt I was at a good stopping place I set in to sew them all up.

No counting needed until I get close enough to count the "How many more?!" I need after making what blocks I can get out of these.


Unit organization at my machine side.

Some of the neutrals are from light colored shirts - others are just whatever I have on hand that I want to throw in.

I find a few florals here and there softens the look and makes it look more like it came out of a vintage scrap bag.  I like that.

Chances are - I'm likely to run out of 4-patches and need to make more of those before I need to make more blue triangle units.  That's okay.

We are winging this one after all!

Block count?  I'm up to 25.  It's growing quickly.  Big blocks with big units can be fun!


Lola is attempting to remind me that I still haven't put away the extra blue pieces from making the backing for Starshine.

I know.  I got a bit ahead of myself with the Jacob's Ladder blocks - and there is stuff to put away.  But can't I play a while first?


Yesterday morning's shot of my driveway -

The leafing out is happening at rapid pace.  It feels like one day there weren't any leaves, and now everything is filling in - BOOM! Just like that.  It's like they spring open in the dark of night and say "Surprise!" come morning.

I'm sure it will be even more so with the rain that started around 6am this morning.  Nothing like coming wide awake with pounding rain and loud thunder.

Is there an upside to this?  YES!  It just may help the pollen situation which has had me sticky-eyed over the past couple of weeks.


There are some happy finishes happening at the Joyful Quilter's retreat!

Hooray for a Grand Illusion finish in snuggle size!


Design walls are filling up with gorgeous works in progress!


Something exciting is beginning to happen here!


And I know these are going to be fantastic - 

Someone's been on a mission cranking out blocks!


I spy some fun in black and white!


And it is taking over this design wall!

I'm looking forward to seeing how things have progressed over night.  The rain isn't going to stop me from heading over to play with the quilters!

And perhaps I'll get some more time to make some more Jacob's Ladder blocks - and okay - put away that blue pile of random pieces left from making that backing.


And maybe more time to sit on the porch and just watch the cattle roam and graze around the old Field's Woolen Mill next door. 

Who would think that cows would settle my soul so much?  I just love seeing them "milling" around (play on words! Ha!)


Did you enter to win the Sugar Grove gift-away on the gift-away post?

I'll be drawing for 2 winners on Friday 4/28/23 (Because I leave for Vietnam on 4/30/23!!!) who will each receive a Sugar Grove PDF pattern from me, and a Roy G. Biv color roll from  Cotton to Quilts!

Captivating Triangles!

The ultimate in scrap stitching! This pattern includes full color photos and graphics and 3 different methods to ensure triangle success! Yes, you CAN make a dent in the scrap stash and have fun while doing it!

Quilt Size: 80’’ X 90’’

Optional but helpful: Bonnie K. Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool and either the Simple folded Corners ruler, or the Simple Folded Corners Mini.

Traditional rotary cutting methods are also given for those who don't have access to these rulers.

Introductory Pricing!  This pattern is already marked 25% off - no coupon needed!  Price reduction good through 4/30/23 and reverts to full price on 5/1/23. Hurry now and save!

You'll find it in both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

And this goes for Grown Ups too.
We should never stop asking why!

Vintage quilt found in Alabama.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone -


 

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:31 AM EDT

    We had carpenter bees last year. Drove us crazy. Nothing we did worked. Had to hire an exterminator! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:13 AM EDT

    Love your quote of the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Earth Day! Love the bigger blocks. Simple stitching 4-patches and Hsts. Will the vintage piece get bound ?? You're saving the best parts of shirtings. I hope to be Quilting by noon, lol. Agree with the meme. Let kids be kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:54 PM EDT

    The best thing I have found to discourage carpenter bees is hanging a gray plastic bag, stuffed with similar gray bags. The bees think the bag looks like a hornet’s nest, and stay away. Hope it works for you! Catherine in SW Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:58 PM EDT

    Your Quilt is beautiful! Carpenter Bees are terrible. Place steel wool in their holes. Be glade they are not sand hornets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:24 PM EDT

    When I was a child, I was taught how to think, not what to think. We were encouraged to be curious, to investigate, to question. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:34 AM EDT

    I am so excited see what those new blocks become!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dale Burnett8:07 AM EDT

    Hi Bonnie,
    I'm intrigued by carpenter bee traps. Can you explain how they are made? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing that photo of my quilt on your blog and for sharing the beautiful Quiltville Inn with our ragtag group of quilters, Bonnie. We had a fabulously productive weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)