>>>>

Thursday, April 06, 2023

In The Blooming!


With Tula Lou at the vet on Monday, with me waiting for the vet to give me a "Come pick her up!" call I had some time on my hands.

In all reality, I was more than an hour's drive from the Inn - I didn't want to head back there, because within 2 hours of arrival, I'd get that call and have to turn right around again.

The nearest Costco was 60 miles away in Winston Salem - I could go that way, but that felt more like work even though I do need to get some inn supplies.

Instead, I shot a quick text off to my friend Sally who was visiting her daughter in Roanoke.  "How about a visit and lunch out?" I said.

Once I received a resounding "YES!" reply, I was on my way.

Roanoke is not that far, but their climate is a bit different than what I have up in Grayson County.

From the time I hit interstate 81 the highway was lined with purple redbuds on both sides and in the median.  Dogwoods are starting to bloom.

What a wonderful sight to see!

This pink dogwood is blooming in Sally's front yard - I could stand beneath its canopy and stare up through pink petals to the robin's egg blue sky beyond for hours.

It will be several weeks yet before ours are blooming at my home elevation.


I love them so much!


Tulips are also happy!


They continued to open as the day warmed up -

This photo was from after we returned from lunch.

(Even the dandelions make me smile!)


Full blown bloom.  Gorgeous!


Pink ground cover and sweet daisy-like blooms.


Dogwoods at the park!

Sally suggested we hit up Green Goat near the green belt for lunch - and the day was so nice we were able to sit out on the deck and just enjoy folks riding by on bikes and others enjoying a gorgeous Monday afternoon.


Don't knock eggplant fries until you've had them!

Oh my word - this could have been a meal in itself!


Blooms from a redbud tree in the parking lot.

We enjoyed our long leisurely lunch and catching up - I'm also excited to be traveling to Ireland with Sally in June, and she's signed on to my New Zealand Tour for this coming January!

Yes, there is much plotting and planning going on - and I'd love for you to join us!

It wasn't long after leaving Sally and making my way back toward Hillsville that I did get the call and pulled into the parking lot at the vet at the appropriated time.


Tula's back on the porch!

Yesterday I went in to the back room of the garage, sat with her a bit - and after some petting and purring I simply picked up her box=bed and her food dishes and opened the door.

She followed me through the garage, up the walkway and back onto the porch.  It was a nice quiet "Welcome home" without any other activity going on.

She seemed pleased as she made no move to run off as she did after returning from the mobile vet.


Yes, it was a cool foggy morning!

But look at her - Porch princess if I ever saw one!

And then she followed me to the back door of the QPO.

Click to Play:


Feral No More!

(If she ever truly was)


Welcome home, little one!

Today is haircut day.  Oh, do I need it.

Friend Martha and I will head out this morning, run some errands along the way, grab lunch, visit, talk a blue streak, enjoy watching spring emerge -

And that's the plan!  Maybe some sewing when I get back.

What's up for your Thursday?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

How true is this!
Quiet the mind and listen to your heart.
I think the simple repetition of sewing pieces together puts me in the right place to listen.
Is it the same for you?
Vintage Carpenters Star found in North Carolina.

Happy Haircut Day!


 

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM EDT

    Tula is such a lovely kitty. Thank you for caring about her. You are as generous to other critters as well as us humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ellen9:56 AM EDT

    What a pretty kitty. I would take her ina a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula Nordt10:00 AM EDT

    Wow! Look at Tula soaking in the petting! She’s showing her appreciation for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tula looks like such a sweetheart and the two of you obviously hit it off well. While I totally respect whatever choice you make, I'd sure love to see you check out whether Lola or Ivy and the barkies would accept her as an addition to your indoor family one place or the other. If Lola could get used to the idea, it would be so nice for her to have company when you aren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy all went well with the Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i use to make eggplant fries years ago. haven't thought about them in years

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the Blooms. My Tulips are slower to bloom with our Snow this week that came and is gone now. A few brave ones bloomed in spite of it. My Crocus and Hyacinth are all in a row.to brighten my view at Breakfast. More stitching on my Purple Passion Jubilee. The 9 parts are all together, it's pinning time. Denise did a great job with the Instructions for Quiltmaker. You have a Patchwork Kitty on your porch now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that name/Patchwork Kitty.

      Delete
  8. I think Tula has found her forever home. I doubt she was ever truly feral, just abandoned and having to make her own way. Like our Sammy who showed up at our barn a couple years ago, an 8 week old little guy full of ticks, fleas, worms and every other vermin known to cats. These little orphans make the best pets, grateful for the love and care they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tula knows you are her friend. What a loving gift you've given her. May you enjoy her friendship for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:12 PM EDT

    The picture of Tula on the walkway leading up to the Inn made me laugh out loud! It's just like the pictures that you take of the groups that stay at the Inn, except it was just Tula like she's a guest at there. :) She looks so happy now. I'm sure she'll get lots of spoils as each group comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:57 PM EDT

    Love seeing Tula sitting in front of the inn so happy and loved!

    Marylee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it was so nice to see all of the blooms! We are cold, wet and soggy today. Hoping to get home soon and dry up. I love the quote. Miss Tula is very happy where she is and that was a great picture of her in front of the Inn. Hoping to get a little sewing time in this evening. WIth Easter weekend I would love to sit and sew all weekend but it looks like I will have to take what I can get as I am going to help prepare the meal. Have a great Thursday and enjoy that haircut! ( We need to add that to the plans too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Calico Tula!!
    I found some eggplant fries in the freezer section at Aldi. They were delish!!
    Thanks for sharing all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:34 PM EDT

    Elle vous a choisi. C est une évidence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww Tula is so sweet. She looks like kitty that followed my son home. We asked around our neighbourhood & checked with vets but no one came forward to claim her & she wasn't chipped. We decided to keep her despite already having 2 cats rather than send her to the pound. Pushka is a joy to have around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:25 PM EDT

    You have a wonderful heart and thank you so very much for sharing your world with us through your blog! Seems another kitty has claimed you as her own!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haircut day for Mom & me is tomorrow! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Love your sweet Tula. She's beautiful and loving. I'm wondering what's to become of her. Will you end up adopting her? What about the next set of retreaters? Will she remain an outdoor kitty? Love her beautiful eyes and the colors in her coat. You definitely did her a big favor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to meet Tula in August.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3:49 PM EDT

    I’m busy working on winter blues today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't believe Tula was ever feral... just scared & reacting to what bad things had happened to her before she found solace with you on The Porch. Love & cuddles

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)