>>>>

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

While the Quilter’s Away --

IMG_20170720_1036186_rewind
While the Quilter’s away, Her quilts were on DISPLAY!

My exhibit in Hershey happened at the same time as my family reunion here in Utah.

And while I wasn’t able to be there, so many of you sent me photos so that I could share them here.

This was my first exhibit experience and I was sad to not be there to experience it, but I wouldn’t have traded family time for anything.

So thank you for keeping me in the loop!

I loved all of the comments that came with your photos, what you loved, what you couldn’t wait to make – and HOW LONG would it be before the next book is available?

Patience, my friends – there are enough UFOs to keep you busy for a while, including our new Checkerboard Rails Leader & Ender Challenge as well as our next Quiltville Mystery (which is only 4 months away!)

IMG_20170720_1032507_rewind


I wish I could have been a fly on the wall!

I know you are anxious to see the quilts for the new book, so I’ll start with those.  Please remember that these photos are taken in show lighting and colors may appear darker than they really are in real life.

received_1820032178012671

Emerald City.

How green can you go?

I love finding traditional block elements that can bedazzle by the simple addition of string piecing within the unit. Any large unpieced area where one piece of fabric is cut to shape can be greatly enhanced by the simple addition of string piecing.

In Emerald City, I have combined string pieced units with traditional patchwork elements such as half square triangles, rectangles and squares.

The range of neutrals used in the background of the quilt from white to cream to beige to tan play just as important a role as the colored main design elements.

Emerald City Quilt designed, pieced, and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt size: 83” X 83”

received_1820032378012651

Day Break

4 patches are a staple of my Leader & Ender parts department. I can’t live without Leaders & Enders sewn at the end of each line of chain piecing, and I can readily attest to the fact that “If you build the units, the quilt will come!”

When a 4-patch challenge was raised by American Patchwork & Quilting magazine, I was on board with a collection of ready-made 4 -patches just waiting for the right project.

This quilt has extra special meaning to me as the aqua setting fabric was inherited when my mother-in-law passed away on Christmas Morning, 1983. It took until 2016 for me to finally decide to use it.
Daybreak quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter.

Quilt size: 73” X 83”

received_1820034198012469

Silver Linings

This quilt could be entitled “I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends!” At the tail end of our Allietare Mystery, I was having a bit of a tough time and had put out on the blog that I was looking for “grey strings” for a project. My intention was that those who were cleaning up from their own Allietare quilts would slip a couple of leftover grey strips or strings into a regular envelope and mail them to me with a regular stamp.

I was not prepared for the windfall of blessings that came my way from all across the country and around the globe. In fact, it wasn’t just strings or strips that found their way to me in North Carolina – it was fat quarters, half yards, recycled clothing pieces, strips, strings, squares, rectangles, and everything in between. This global love filled 2 laundry baskets and I am still sewing from it today.

I dedicate “Silver Linings” to those who lifted me through the gift of fabric when my heart needed it the most!

Silver Linings Quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt size: 84” X 84”

received_1820033971345825

Xing
Xing is the Chinese word for STAR.

The shape and configuration of stars within patchwork are many and oh, so varied! Stars are also a favorite of many, and I am right there in their midst. I love a star quilt design!

The stars in Xing started out their life as a way to use up the many small crumb blocks I had made left lying forgotten in a bag in the depths of a cupboard. Using them as star centers was the easy part. Setting the blocks after they were made became the challenge.

Small string blocks became the alternate, and I used the rest of the aqua sold from “Daybreak” as sashing.

Xing just fits everything that is going on in this quilt!

Xing quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt Size: 73” X 82”

received_1820035821345640

Serpentine Web

String Spider Web quilts are traditional by description, but modern in interpretation!
While playing with the very traditional blocks, I found I got a completely different appearance when I set the blocks vertically, dropping every other row by half to create the serpentine effect.
Just give me a bucket of strings and a foundation and I’ll piece myself into complete and utter scrappy oblivion and have the best time while doing it!
Serpentine Web quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt Size: 74” X 85”

received_1820036018012287

Geese on a String

Inspired by an antique quilt purchased in Greensboro, North Carolina, Geese on a string uses leftover bits, strings, strips and chunks from de-constructed clothing.

I love working with recycled fabrics. There is something elemental about taking a garment apart, returning it back to “fabric” and refashioning the pieces to become a quilt. It’s as if the fabrics tell a story of sorts.

Geese on a string uses purchased solid yardage in conjunction with the recycled fabric giving it an instantly vintage yet timeless appeal.

Geese on a String quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt size: 70” X 80”

received_1820036168012272


Over the past 7 years (can it be that long already?) I have been honored to participate in Quiltmaker Magazine’s 100 blocks by 100 designers, a bi-annual special issue. As often happens for me, designing a single block for a magazine often leads to seeing what I can do with it as far as layout goes were it to become a “real” quilt. Oh boy!

This one held so many bells and whistles for me as it is an asymmetrical block.

And it includes string piecing! What could be better?

Dawn’s Early Light quilt designed, pieced and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter
Quilt size: 87” X 87”

received_1820037154678840


The Straits of Mackinac is a series of narrow waterways in the U.S. state of Michigan, between Michigan's Lower and Upper Peninsulas. The main strait flows under the Mackinac Bridge and connects two of the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

Every year in May, the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island hosts a fabulous Needle Art Seminar and I’ve been lucky enough to teach there twice. It has become my favorite place on earth by far.
The main block for Straits of Mackinac was featured in volume 14 of Quiltmaker Magazine’s 100 blocks by 100 designers and after making just one block knew instantly that I had to keep sewing until I had enough for a full quilt.

String piecing is by far my favorite quilting style, and my overflowing string bins know no bounds, and that’s a very good thing!

Straits of Mackinac Quilt designed, pieced, and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter.
Quilt Size: 94” X 94”

received_1820040974678458

Sand Castles on the far right is also destined for the new book.

After finishing the Daybreak quilt, I discovered that there were MORE 4-patches still at hand.  In fact, they seem to multiply overnight, and I quickly dreamed up another block to put them to good use.

My goal was to use the “sandy, toasty & tan” strings – the ones that have been left in the dust since more current black-on-whites, modern neutrals and contemporary low volume fabrics had captured my fancy.  I love how the colored blocks chain across this much warmer-than-white string background. Includes fabrics from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s to current as well as recycled pieces from shirts and other clothing.

Sand Castles quilt designed, pieced, and digitally long-arm quilted by Bonnie K Hunter

Quilt Size: 80” X 80”

Other tried and true favorites also made an appearance as well as several of our past mysteries!

received_1820039604678595


received_1820040671345155

Orca Bay and Roll Roll Cotton Boll from String Fling!

received_1820040241345198


received_1820038468012042

Day Lilies from String Fling!

IMG_20170720_1036310_rewind

My thanks to those who came to enjoy the show!

I’m here in Brigham City, Utah –ready to start my first workshop day of 5 for the Utah State Quilters Guild, and It’s almost time for me to hit the door and get over to our workshop location.

7_25_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

The one thing I’ve battled through this whole journey is fear.  But the more I push through it, the more I realize that I CAN do it!

Don't let fear rule your life! Show it who's boss!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

35 comments:

  1. Sand Castles!! Finally a name for the quilt I have love, love, loved since the very first little section you posted a picture of. It is funny how one quilt will just draw you in. I can barely wait for the book and pattern. I wish I could have been in Hershey to see them all in person. Thanks for the pictures, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, Bonnie!! Simply incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to all of you who sent in pictures. Oh Bonnie, I love all your quilts, but Emerald City and Straights of Mackinac really struck my heart. I'm hoping patterns will be forthcoming in a book or individually. Please say they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How special for friends to send you pictures of your lovely quilts. And thanks for taking the time to share them with those of us who couldn't be there in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful show! Yes, I'm in there eagerly waiting for your new book. These quilts and their stories are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful post! I almost felt like I got to be there for the exhibit. I'm glad people sent you the pictures, and thank you for sharing with us! It was exciting to see the batch of new quilts for the next book. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so fortunate to have seen these quilts "in person" in Hershey. The photos are great, but they don't do the quilts justice. Nothing like the real thing.

    Thanks for all you do for quilters everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful display! You should be very proud of all this creativity--congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just LOVE Daybreak! The aqua is so nice. How small are those four patches?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts are amazing as always. You inspire me and challenge me. Thank you! Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Such gorgeous quilts. If I quilted all day every day I couldn't get all my favorites made. LOL. I keep pecking away though. razzle Dazzle at the quilter and En Provance blocks ready to be assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful exhibit, Bonnie! Dawn's Early Light especially caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did they get permission to take photos? The exhibit was posted no photos allowed. My friend didn't see the sign and the guard made her delete the photos while he watched.

    I did enjoy seeing the quilts and there are several I look forward to making.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the quilts are beautiful and even more so in person. Your display was packed with people! I just love Emerald City. It is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They're all beautiful, but emerald city is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,
    I love the new quilt "Emerald City". The sashing borders on that quilt are lovely and so unique. I might just have to buy your new book when it comes out just for that pattern.
    Good Work....

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I missed when preorders for the new book is coming! Ha Ha Sign me up now. Love the quilts and the special exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all your quilts. I have seen you sewing on several of these quilts at QuiltCam. Its wonderful to see how they turned out when sewn together. Never thought that the grey stringquilt would be this amazing!!. Nice to know that my grey fabric might be in there. I am looking forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WoW!!!!!!wish i could have gone to the show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your quilts in Hershey PA at Quilt Odyssey! The photos are wonderful but the quilts were so much more beautiful in person. I came home with no photos because the signs in the special exhibit section said "No Photos." I guess I will have to wait for the next book. Thank you for sending your quilts to this show so that we all could enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also enjoyed looking at your quilts. Pictures do not do you quilts justice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful quilts. Your next book is going to be a best seller. I know we have to wait quite awhile, but it will so be worth the wait. Hope you are enjoying your family time amongst your teaching gigs....happy sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilts are beautiful!!! I would give anything to be able to see them in that show! Regarding the checkerboard rails, do you know how many we will need for the whole quilt if it is done the same size as yours? I am asking because I would like to get those done first and then just add the other strips on to them. I am making the same size you are making. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I belong to a quilters forum which is private and I am hoping that I have not broken any rules by posting a link to this page, I couldn't resist as I am such a Bonnie addict and to see some of your beautiful quilts I just couldn't resist sharing. If I have broken a rule let me know and I will remove it. thank you for all that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the quilt show. I love to read your inspirations for each quilt. I have only every made one string quilt and am not sure I have the patience you do.... but I will see, I never say never! It is just so effective. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so enjoyed the quilt exhibit by the way of photos! Thanks to all that managed to take pictures. The first thing I do, when I get on the computer is to go to your blog. You make my day, as I am certain you do for many others! Glad that you had a great family reunion. We all love to see your many great adventures. I love seeing all of the sewing machines at the retreats! A big THANK YOU for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful retrospective exhibit, Bonnie. I look forward to the new book and the 2017 mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh Bonnie! Emerald City!!!! i have a mish mosh of blocks/strings and odds n ends green and neutral! in a hugely failed attempt to create my own scrappy quilt!!!! The parts I've done will be turned into Emerald City as soon as that book comes out !!! for now it's an impatient UFO... LOL or once started soon changed? and the Leader ender project? I must have missed where that is located or when it was posted... you bet i have plenty to work on until the first of the year or even until the mystery quilt... thank you for all you do for us...<3 Cats

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was there - beautiful exhibit and the pictures don't do them justice! I was under the impression the "No Photos" was just the 9-Patch Antique photo exhibit. I thought photos could be taken of Bonnie's and the "regular" entries.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness Bonnie that is incredible!
    What an amazing show of spectacular quilts!
    I can't even imagine what life would be like without your inspiration and leadership in the global quilting community!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you have outdone yourself once again! These are all so beautiful. I wish I could have been there to see them in person, but I will enjoy making my own versions once the new book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Bonnie, ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW!! I am blown away and excited to see all the new quilts! Amazing!!
    My sweet quilting teacher is there in Utah with you...she came from California to take your workshops...so happy for her.
    Thanks for all you do! Linda Marglon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome quilts Bonnie you are one amazing lady! Thequts are inspiring you have sooooooo much talent Bonnie it is no wonder what a super star you are!
    Thanks so much for sharing your quilts! Wish I had seen it in the show!
    You have amazing talent I am speechless!!!!!
    Happy quilting,
    Yoka Bazilewich

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)