>>>>

Friday, August 12, 2016

Antiquing, Colorado Style!

20160809_142458
This is the iconic “Welcome to Golden” sign, pretty as a picture, and featured on postcards since the
welcome arch was first installed.

On March 24, 1949, it was dedicated with a parade and much fanfare.

I have been to Golden many times and each time I pass near the sign, I just HAVE to take another photo of it.  It is so perfect with the rise of the mountains behind it, the wonderful old buildings framing it on either side, and statues and other artwork make Golden a very fun place to slow down, take your time, and explore.

I love this post card from “back in the day” also showing the welcome arch:


pccoGoldenWelcomeArchStreet

Love the cars!

20160809_144350

Of course, you have to visit the Golden Quilt Company!

Love the old mining car out front!

And just a couple of doors down was an antique mall…I dropped in for a poke around.

Sometimes you find a lot, some times you don’t.  And quite often in touristy areas, prices are steep and the things we are looking for most are just not present.  This was my experience in Golden.

20160809_144148

One Household Machine ---

It’s the same model/brand that was at the Original Governor’s Mansion in Helena, Montana!  This time the shuttle IS present…but they wanted $375.00 for this machine.

Sometimes it’s good just to take a photo and move on!

I sure love having google on my phone!  After not finding much in Golden, it wasn’t that far of a drive to the Brass Armadillo in Denver.

20160809_150351

I love that they are open late!

Remember the Singer 201 I posted about a couple of days ago?  Lila Helm left a comment on my Quiltville facebook page that she had gone to pick it up after reading about it here on the blog!  Whoowhooo!  I’m SO happy this machine now has a home!

lila1

Go, Lila, Go!

I have to admit I had visions of 20 quilters showing up all at the time the mall opened, and rushing to the booth to go claim the machine, and luckily that didn’t happen!  But can we do it again?

Check this one out:

20160809_154502

I believe this is in Booth 59!

Kenmore 158.1040!

This machine is also highly sought after by those who want an all metal machine, in a very portable size that also does specialty stitches like zig zags and button holes.  I rediscovered this photo while going through my camera this morning, and SOMEONE needs to go get this!  It’s on sale for $50.00.  Contact the Brass Armadillo to see if it is still there as I saw it on Tuesday.  This is an awesome machine!

And see the wool quilt behind it?

20160809_154436-001

Wool samples!

20160809_154444

I love this!

20160809_152108

And THIS!

This mall was so crammed with small aisles that there wasn’t a lot of room for laying stuff out…but look at those hand quilting stitches..just beautiful.

20160809_152327

Little Free Westinghouse, no cabinet.

20160809_152701

Pink double 9 patch top!

I love the cheery fabrics in this one.

20160809_152537

Dirty 99.  Way too expensive.

20160809_153322

THIS I love!

Look at that cheddar!  And such great prints in this one.

Improved 9 patch, 1930s.

20160809_154532

Oh sweet 16 patch!

These ones speak peace to my soul.

20160809_154622

Isn’t it wonderful in its simplicity?

20160809_154842

9 patch on point!

This one is made of early 1900s mourning prints, but more recently quilted (within the past 30 years) and has a very lofty poly batting inside.  My thoughts are they used what was available at the time when they decided to quilt a vintage top. The stitching patterns are lovely, the hand quilting stitches are small and even, just beautiful – but that poly batting just didn’t go with the time period of the top.  But isn’t the texture great?

20160809_155150

Tied shoofly comforter –Wool blanket inside!

I bet this was WARM during Colorado winters.

20160809_155729

Beautiful Singer Red Eye 66 --

This was likely a treadle machine head converted to electric some time in the 1950s…the case and the motor are 1950s beige….yes, the motor and light are BOTH that 1950s putty beige.  Grandma’s machine with a modern up-do!  Still WAY too expensive for what I’m used to paying where I live.  Lovely decals…and of course, I’d put it BACK to treadle.  See that great large chrome hand wheel?

20160811_161141

This was my day yesterday!

Yes, you can bind and sew down a sleeve and label on a 2 1/2 hour flight between Denver and Atlanta!  Now to finish up the pattern for my cruisers so we are ready to head to Barcelona on Tuesday!

20160812_073129

That is if I can get this girl to let me get down to business!

8_12_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Always believe that it's possible! My Wanderlust quilt started as a simple block idea and found its way into Quiltmaker's 100 blocks by 100 designers. From there it became a real quilt dream and found itself on the cover of Quiltmaker magazine. It is now featured in my new book, Addicted to Scraps and its release is right around the corner! I am excited to share this online course with others. 

Always believe that anything you want bad enough is possible!

Have a fabulous Friday, everyone!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

12 comments:

  1. Love to have the Kenmore machine! Don't you just hate auto-correct! Look at the paragraph about the Kenmore. My hubby and I just about busted a gut reading it! LOL! We knew what you meant, but it was fun reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you notice they changed the sign... from "Where the west remains" in 1949 to the current one "Where the west lives"

    love all the quilts and machines you find.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra, it was fixed before you even posted your comment...HA! Yes, I saw it...whew, that was a close one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the improved nine patch, i've never made one, but admire them from afar. Maybe some day. Love the machines and quilts you post. I've never been to that area of the country but love the arched sign and so glad it's still there and not modernized or changed much. Looks like a lovely town. The quilt shops sign looked so small though, I could hardly read it. I am glad you had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful antique mall post!! So fun to wander the isles with you for the highlights. Hurray on the 201 adoption -- that is so cool. I hope the little Kennie gets adopted too. I have a vintage improved nine patch with cheddar as its background and love it. Whew on your correction so that is two for the list to double check; batiks and button hole!! Hugs, Allison in Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your shopping finds with us. I saved several on my Pinterest boards to enjoy again, and again. You really hit the mother lode! I have been in the Brass Armadillo in Phoenix, but the sewing related finds were very few. Always fun to look around these places. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lila has a long drive ahead of her.... she is from Mission, TX which is down in the valley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the 201 found a home. I believe that your '99' find is actually a '15'., since the tensioner is on the face plate, and not 'in the way'. ☺☺ LOVE those vintage machines! I just recently added a 101 to my collection and will be taking a test run this weekend.☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope somebody gets the Kenmore! That's a very good price. It's actually a 158.1045, which has a few more stitches than a 1040. The large red knob is the clue that it's not a 1040, which has a silvery knob.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a grandmother's flower garden top that looks much like the one in the picture. I was thinking of long-arming it and just straightening out the edges. It was from a friend who knows nothing specific about it. Alternatively I could baste on long arm and then finish it in the next decade.... What do you think? I am thinking getting it used is better than having it sit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling Sadie! Love seeing pictures of her at home. Hope she is doing well and enjoying her brief time with her 'mom'....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bonnie, I love your blog and read it regularly.

    Saw the note about the Kenmore in Colorado. I have a similar Kenmore with the clam-shell case that needs a new home. If anyone in the Boston/Worcester MA area is looking for one, I am looking to sell it. Is there any hope of finding a local buyer for the cute machine?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)