>>>>

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Star Struck in Lansing!

This is kind of cool to have all these days of class photos to catch up on when home!  I get to sit and remember everyone’s face and the great time we had – and of course their beautiful blocks that will become fabulous quilts!

The adorable lady you see here is also named Bonnie!  And she and I were part of the same guild in Kernersville, NC when she lived in Greensboro. 

It was so great to make her re-acquaintance –not only do we share a love of featherweights, of scrap quilts, and quilting in general, but I feel a connection to those I share my name with.  Not just my FIRST name, but my MIDDLE name as well!  We are BOTH Bonnie Kay!

We also share a love of hexies – but this gal goes smaller than I am.  Look:

MI_Nov2012 264

Bonnie’s tiny hexie in progress!

MI_Nov2012 265

Hers next to mine!

These are the rosettes I started on the plane this past trip ---warm chocolate brows with some shades of cinnamon thrown in…3/4” per side hexies….mine look like Godzilla next to hers!  Isn’t it fun to see how different things look just by changing the scale?

Take a look at the variety of quilt beginnings that happened in class:


Is your holiday weekend still in full swing?  Not sure what the plans are here today – still afraid to venture out into the “real” world!  Now that I can get back into the studio I’ve got a quilt that needs a binding applied – and I can see myself later this evening with my feet up in the recliner sewing that binding down!

I’ve gone as far as I can in here for right now --- that is until I can get down to IKEA and pick up a couple heavier duty book cases for either side of the fireplace. All the books are in boxes on the “other” side of the basement for right now.  IKEA on the weekend? NOT HAPPENING!  Might be a plan for Wednesday, though!

Enjoy your Saturday everyone!

24 comments:

  1. I bought that book recently and make some hexie flower for a border, think they were 1/2 inch or maybe 3/4 tiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan to avoid Ikea on this weekend of all of them. The closest one to me is 3.5 hours away, but so worth it when I can get there. My other favorite is Container Store! Also in Atlanta, not Huntsville AL. Have fun turning that binding:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I am awestruck by these blocks. It is amazing how different these blocks look based on fabrics. It is on my bucket list but I am now not sure if I like planned or scrappy hmmm?? Got time to think on that one as I am doing your mystery for the first time. Waiting on the next step, patiently (not)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the slide shows, Bonnie! I sit here and go frame by frame saying"I remember that one and that one" or "I've got some of that one and that one" lol

    Lori in VA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! It's so much fun to see into your classes...
    I'm headed to IKEA today too. I'm after the Expedit book shelve for my new, improved sewing room. I'm so excited about it that I feel like a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a pain to put together but worth it - strong bookshelves are a must. I chose Expedit for my Craft Studio and they are standing up to it nicely

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:17 AM EST

    I started a Hexie in Red, White and Blue that will be shaped like a star last May. It is put away somewhere, but we are planning a trip in April to help monitor streams for fish poachers and I understand there is a group of ladies that hand quilt by the river, so I will save that project till then. I love to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anyone else having trouble viewing the slide show? Sky drive is being funky for me today. I had to sign in, then it says the slide show is no longer available. Sue K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here? Americans only?

      Delete
    2. Same goes for me. I can't view the slide show either.

      Delete
    3. Having problems viewing the slide show ... tried the Sky Drive thing to no avail ... hopefully Bonnie can help when she's back home ... I really LOVE seeing the slide shows. Linda

      Delete
  8. I am also hacking trouble with the slide show. Why do I need an account to view them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having trouble too. I'm using my iPad and I've never had trouble before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The thing with SkyDrive happens once in a while. I usually try later and it is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes SkyDrive does do this -- it worked for many others this morning, it worked for me when I uploaded it -- and now it doesn't, so I have no idea what is going on with their servers. I suggest trying back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoyed this workshop. How nice to run into Bonnie so far afield. She was also a really sweet lady. Hope to start work on Easy Street and finish some workshop block this evening and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiya, I am also having problems with SkyDrive. It is asking me to sign in. Well I will leave it until tomorrow and try again. Love the stars and would love to do this workshop too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sky Drive is asking me to sign in for the first time too - never had to do that to view the slideshow before - are they in a different format this time?

    ReplyDelete
  15. After several attempts to sign into Sky Drive, I was finally allowed to sign in and now the page is not found. Apparently I broke Sky Drive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for introducing us the "the other" Bonnie K. Her little hexie project is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. isn't it odd how different eeach persons blocks are even though it is the same pattern. really liked them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Skydive worked for me just now so perhaps it is back. It was fun finding my blocks in the mix.

    As for Ikea, I used to live 10 minutes from one. NEVER go on weekends. Wednesday is good because it was the day furthest from a weekend. Now I am hours away from one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It there a boo boo on the large blue pink and green photo?
    Second quarter down on the left?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find I most like the blocks done with a more controlled scrappy look (25) and I really like the ones that form another star where the blocks meet. The Christmas (8) one is fantastic! This block really shows that high contrast fabrics make a difference.
    A good, fun block, I'm going to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)