>>>>

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

From Sadie to Zoey with Love


Do you ever ask yourself WHY you put something off for so long, when it really wasn't that big of a deal?

Sadie chewed this quilt at least a dozen years ago.  I know I finished this top before our move from South Carolina to North Carolina - and that was 2008.

I just simply could not be bothered for whatever reason - and so I kept it folded good-side-out and displayed on top of a book shelf.

Chewed spots out of sight, out of mind - right?

There are so many other things that I SHOULD be dealing with right now - so again, I ask myself.  Why is this important to me NOW when it hasn't been for the past dozen or so years?

It just is.


The first thing I did was cover the holes in the quilt center with a piece of batting, machine stitched into place.

I don't want that batting to shift and become a lump during washing.  It's on there.


You can see where a few lines of machine quilting through all layers on the batting piece are anchoring it in place over the holes.

I cut a heart shape out of freezer paper (I had just changed the paper on the pressing stations at the inn next door and used the removed paper to cut my heart!) and because string piecing is bulky, I pressed all of the seams on the back side of my string block open.

I then fused the shiny side of the paper to the backside of the string block, trimming to leave 1/4'' seam allowance all the way around.

I snipped here and there into the seam allowance to allow me to go around the curves and into the gentle V at the top of the heart.

I thread basted - because I enjoy the process. I am not one who enjoys gluing.  

(And I only add this here because there will be 100 comments saying "You should have glued that."  You do you, and I'll do me, okay!)

I appliqued the heart in place, leaving  about a 2'' gap on the side.  I removed the basting stitches, pulled out the freezer paper, and finished appliqueing the rest.

This has been my "TV Time" project over the past couple of nights.  


I did the same thing for the back - finding a fabric that was "close" as the original backing fabric was no longer available.

This time, I did a circle - because there was no way to line up a heart on the back with a heart on the front.  The circle was traced from a saucer I had at the QPO.  

It's a bit bigger than the heart on the front so I wouldn't be piling up seam allowances in the same place -


Once both were appliqued in place - I did some larger stitch hand quilting through all layers.  And there were a TON of layers!

Back patch.  Quilt back.  Batting. (HOLE) Quilt top string blocks with all those seams. Batting Patch. String heart patch.  SO. MANY. LAYERS!

A size 9 between needle and loads of stab stitching - there was really no way to get a nice rocking stitch on this patch.


The underside.


I finished the two border chew holes last night - there was no way to match the fabric, and I wasn't even really trying. I just chose something that blended.

Following what I did with the circular back patch above, I traced a jar lid on to freezer paper and cut a circle.  I fused it to the wrong side of the patch fabric, and trimmed leaving 1/4''

I thread basted the seam allowance over the edge of the paper.


Another batting scrap sewn in place to fill the hole.

Folding the basted circle in half, I pinned it in place over the chew hole, appliqueing first the front half-circle to the quilt front, and the back half-circle to the back.  Then I removed the basting, cut the circle in half along the fold at the quilt edge, and pulled out the papers.


Half the circle stitched on front.


The other half on the back.


The bigger chew really took a chunk out of the quilt, so it took a larger patch. I traced around an antique tea cup for this size of circle.

Today - I'll splice in replacement binding (close but not exact) and tonight I'll be able to finish up the mending, throw it in the washer, and present it to Zoey.

The little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying "You are doing all of this - for a DOG!?"  

And the voice inside my heart says "Yes.  For both of them.  For Sadie.  And for Zoey."

In other quilty news:

On Ringo Lake made it to my aunt Katherine in Minnesota!  Click to Play:


It was there on a summer visit a few years back that an early morning sunrise along the dock inspired the colors for that year's Quiltville Winter Mystery.
It just felt right that On Ringo Lake  would find its permanent home this way. 
The PDF pattern booklet for On Ringo Lake  is available in the digital pattern section of the Quiltville Store.

Things are shaping up for the Shippenstitchers, arriving at Quiltville Inn this afternoon!

I'll be doing all of the finishing touches to welcome them - including the back porch autumn themed décor as we have a GORGEOUS long September-turning-October weekend ahead. 

And if I'm lucky, I'll be able to finish piecing the LAST 4 border blocks for my Cabin Corners quilt today and can start putting the monstrosity together. 

All the while muttering to myself - "It didn't make a dent in the scraps.  WHY didn't it make a dent in the scraps?  I'm never going to be able to sew myself out of the scraps!" (Do you feel this way too?!)

These things are also winding down - only hours left!

September Sky  Spider & The Fly, the September Sky Pattern Bundle, and Appalachian Autumn  are still on sale at 25% off through 9/30/21.

And the PDF pattern for my Punkin Patch Runner is HALF-PRICE at only $5.00 through 10/31/21.

No Coupon Needed!


DRAWING HAPPENS TOMORROW!

Head back to last Friday's Post to enter our September '21 Quilty Box Gift-Away featuring Botanica fabrics by Kasey Free and Paintbrush Studios!

Drawing to happen tomorrow, 9/30/21.

Okay, let's kick this mid-week day into gear!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

9 Ways to See Good in Everything:⁣
Express Gratitude. Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul. ⁣
Meditation. ⁣
Help Others or Do Something Good. ⁣
Embrace Yourself.⁣
Repeat Positive Affirmations.⁣
Challenge Negative Thoughts.⁣
Stop Overthinking. ⁣
Feed your soul.⁣
-Live, Laugh, Love!⁣
Have a terrific Wednesday, folks!


 

42 comments:

  1. I love this post and all your tips about quilt repair! I am repairing a few quilts that my granddog has chewed. It is a labour of love and I enjoy the process.
    I'm very happy in my growing stash of scraps and hope I never sew myself out of the scraps... it's a great scrappy life! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for showing how to make your chewed up quilt usable again. These are great ideas to discuss with someone who brings you a precious quilt that they would like to be able to use. I have repaired a couple of quilts for people and I love what you did with this one. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. binding/label, too on Appalachian Autumn... she's far from perfect and her 'stems' don't all meet, but she is so very pretty and the colors just grand! Thank you, Bonnie, this is one of my favorites and the border pattern so fun!!! Also, i LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos of quilts moving in the breeze! If you're looking to "adopt" an older quilter to help expand your family, I'm available... smiles, giggles & grins from Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just a clever woman. Love the heart on the quilt.
    I think I have an idea for a repair on a quilt my husbands grandmother made. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Love the bowties on your saying today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you repaired that quilt that Sadie decided to taste! Zoey will love it...and of course you did this for a dog...they are family after all! The time was right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE what you did with patching the quilt! Our fur babies are so deep into our hearts……. How special you’ve made that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadie would be so happy that you fixed “her” quilt for Zoey! And thank you for talking all of us through the process. Wonderful morning classroom learning! 🐕‍🦺🐶💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post this morning. As usual, when you've let a project percolate until you decide how to handle it, your approach was just right. The patches are both effective and charming, and add to the memories.

    I appreciate you detailing how you applied the patches, in case I ever need to do something similar. Would it be worth adding this post to the Tips and Techniques tab?

    Give that Zoey a scratch behind the ears for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I make a scrappy quilt, and I mostly make large bed quilts, I think I’ll make a large dent in the scrap bins. I never do, and I’ve decided it’s because digging thru the scraps I fluff air into them making them appear to have grown. I love you method of repair on the chewed quilt. I’ve repaired many quilts for folks over the years, and it’s so rewarding to save them to be used and loved again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love that you’re mending a quilt for your dogs (past and present). Zoey is a sweet pupper and deserves a quilt digested by Sadie :) Non-pet people will rarely get it and the rest of us know without explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quilt repairs. From Sadie to Zoey with Humama's loving repairs. '

    Wishing you a beautiful fall day Bonnie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely, lovely way to repair a much-loved quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have repaired holes in my quilts that my dog Dale left, he loved gnawing at quilts. Today hen I look at those patches I remember all the joy he brought me. I lost him to osteosarcoma in April 2020 and not a day goes by that I don’t think of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to lose a furry family member! Enjoy all the precious memories that you must have of him.
      Susan

      Delete
  14. Bonnie, wouldn't 9 ways to see good make a wonderful banner to fly behind an airplane across the sky?!?!!! It is a wonderful touching message that needs to be shared far and wide! Thank you for all of your terrific scrappy designs and for sharing mending for fur babies and today most of all encouraging words!!! You are truly a messenger of inspiration! Thanks for warming our hearts. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand completely the patching from doggie bites. I would do the same. Love our furry babies! Tears in my eyes for my pups, past and present. The best companions and teachers of a joy for life. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Bonnie, what a wonderful post! We miss your Sadie girl and totally love Zoey!! I'm so glad you are fixing their quilt and I am so delighted On Ringo Lake is going back to Ringo Lake! And your suggestions for good mental health make my day because I am living thru so much mental pain right now. So thank you!!! And yes, Cats gets my vote for honorary auntie status in the Hunter family! 😉🤣❤

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this post! I read every day, but seldom, if ever comment. I have a few quilts out in the world getting used by my children and grands, and well, "chews" happen. This post is such a great instruction on how to repair. I love the PATCH on the patchwork! Thank you Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic idea to give the quilt Sadie sampled to Zoey Jo. She will appreciate it! Thanks for the idea of patching the edge of a quilt with a half circle prior to reattaching binding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our young dogs have often developed similar habits as their predecessors. We tell each other that "Meggie found one of the notes that Willie left for her."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gracias por esta hermosa publicación. Y rasca a Zoey de mi parte.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I give a quilt to someone I say "Use it and use it often and use it up". Then I can make them a new one. So when you showed the damaged quilt I thought it was used up. But oh when you showed how Zoey curled up into a tight ball to cover that quilt in the back of your van. Wow, so glad you decided to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonnie:
    What a wonderful idea and way to put Sadie's chewed up quilt back into use! You are so smart and creative! Thank You for giving us all ways to think about fixing some of our worn quilts.

    We are having sub-freezing temps in the morning, but nice temps in the afternoon, with lots of sunshine. Beautiful fall days. Quilting Studio tomorrow to work on my All Stars quilt, and Quilt guild on Saturday. Snow in the mountains when I took my little SIS back to plane in Anchorage on Friday (6 inches at the summit). She is safely back in Idaho. Luckily no snow on the Kenai yet.

    Donna
    Kasilof, AK

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm also touched by this blog. The quilt mending is a labor of love for both of you fur babies. You are the best inspiration to all or you quiltvillians. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great repair on a very important quilt. As I'm getting older, I try to reduce the scraps to no avail. I've given away a lot and nothing seems to help even though I'm always using from my stash and not buying. Trying to keep in good health so I can use it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will sew or repair a quilt for a dog faster than many humans. It's the quilt worthy factor :)
    Please hug Zoey for me and a dog hug from Gus and Elle in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad you fixed that quilt for Zoey. When I saw Zoey on it my thought was fix it and given it to Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that is perfect for Zoey to have the quilt. It was meant to be and you were meant to keep it with you. And I expect Ivy will take it over too! LOL!
    Lovely heart idea and it all looks fab. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bonnie, what a puuurfect mend for Zoey, and in memory of Sadie. Warms my heart. Every post warms my heart. It’s the last email post I read before I go to bed at night, it closes up my day. Everything we try to do, is stitched with love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful post, Bonnie. I haven’t commented in a very long time but never fail to read your posts very early in the morning with coffee. Although I manage to put off mending, I do believe it is a beautiful example of slow stitching. Your repairs to this quilt, made with love and creativity, are great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It was lovely to see you put a *heart* to cover Sadie's little misdemeanour <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your repairs were instructive and bring this quilt back to life in such a charming way! As always, you inspire me and lots of other quilters! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just inherited some old vintage quilts from my stepmother and some are not in the greatest shape. I am thinking of making a quilted jacket with at least one of them.....

    ReplyDelete
  33. There’s something special about a mended quilt. It shows love.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for the lesson on repairing a quilt,it was a great idea .my granddaughter had a old baby quilt she always wanted repaired,I did it but it didn’t look as neat as your heart ❤️! I’ll always remember this for future repairs, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now Sophie and Zoey are both happy 🧡💜💙💚💛

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for showing me how to repair a quilt. My oldest sister gave me one that my paternal grandmother made back in the late 20"s early 30's.ot has pieces that need replacing. I hesitate to use more recent materials on it so it sits in my bedroom. My grand daughters love the quil as is since I told them theigreatgreat grandma made it. When they come to visit they go to my bedroom find the wilt and hug it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice tips and Zoey is gonna be so happy, Precious! Paula in KY

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for showing how you repaired your quilt. I am sure it tugged at your heart to cover Sadie's chewed parts. So glad Zoey will be able to enjoy! How would you fix a chewed corner? Pretty big hunk gone from a naughty grand beagle.😆

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hope you are going to document the Sadie/Zoey quilt by the swing like you have been doing with the others. This is a very important quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Glad to hear about the quilt mending. It is a necessary thing with utilitarian quilts. The time was right to mend it.
    Scraps are always with us quilters, unless we give them away or throw them away. They may never go away, but there are new scraps to take the place of old. I cut a bunch into squares and strips long before I heard of your scrap saver system. I cut from 1 inch to 5 inch at 1/4 inch increments because I didn't want to waste fabric. I have been using those a lot and I can see that those have dwindled down, since I have not added to the odd width ones lately. What I didn't cut were the really odd shaped pieces I inherited from garment sewers and despite making lots of crazy quilt blocks and wonky log cabin blocks, I still have a pile of those. I gave almost 200 blocks to a charity quilt group and they made those into baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bonnie - anyone who would ask if you are doing all this for a dog, has never owned a dog. You kept that quilt because it held precious memories of your Sadie. Zoey let you know it was time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)