>>>>

Saturday, April 07, 2018

Spring On Mount Rogers.

20180406_140024
Sadie and I played getaway yesterday afternoon. 

The weather had settled into a breezy low 60’s hover for a while, and I harnessed her up with the intent to head up the road about 6 miles to Grayson Highlands State park.

It’s long past due time to get my winter butt out the door and start moving again.  I can feel it.  This fair weather walker just doesn’t like to get out in the winter –but it’s time.  Long over due time.

Spring green is emerging everywhere, though the hardwoods still don’t have their leaves.  There is a benefit to this – it means you can still see through the trees to the beautiful mountain ranges in the distance.

20180407_090933-001

Are you a little hungry there, fella?  Or –lady?

20180406_132433

The ponies were out in droves!

I had seen a few during December when we went up on what turned out to be a rainy day short hike.  But they were off in the brush, behind the rock walls.  Today – a bit of sunshine and fresh green grass to graze upon, they worked their way from area to area like 4 legged lawn mowers.

20180407_090906

Dinner with a view!

This one was curious enough about me to walk up to me, give my hand a sniff and let me pet its nose before moving down the road to “greener pastures.”  Oh, I’m so glad we came up here!

20180407_090826

Sadie sniffing at the trail post.

Oh yes, there are loads of smells as well!

20180407_090751

Oh, these beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

There were other people hiking the trails as well.  Rhododendron Trail goes right into the Appalachian Trail and there were day hikers as well as hard core “hiking the whole thing” folks with backpacks, hiking sticks and all of the other must-have gear for camping out on their journey.

A chat with a family coming back down the trail let me know that there was something mighty special to see just up ahead:

20180407_090241

Mama and new born foal. 

Precious!

I took so many photos  and video clips.  I combined them in this video – click to play:


It was windy - and getting colder by the time we reached as far as we were willing to go.  I needed to turn around before the rain started. (Where did that come from? It WAS sunny!)

At one point an Air Force jet flew noisily overhead – it seemed so out of place in this setting.

We made it back to the van and were soon on our way back down this mountain, toward another mountain – cabin home.


20180407_090146

But I can guarantee that I’ll be back!

It is $7.00 per vehicle to get into the park.  I asked about a season pass, and it is something like $68.00.  I’d need to go more than 10 times to break even, so I think I’ll hold off until I’m 65 when it goes down to 1/2 price.

20180406_210442

Evening sewing!

Did you receive your May/June 2018 Quiltmaker issue yet?  This is my Addicted to Scraps column block – Diamond Tile.  It was inspired by an antique quilt I found while on my journeys, and I’ve pulled the block together from Scrap User’s System sizes! 

I need a new “On the Go" project for hotel stitching while teaching, and I can easily kit these up and take them with me.  That’s next week’s goal – KIT. MANY. BLOCKS.

I was talking to my friend Terri about doing a sew along with these blocks, but I don’t have the ability to really do something organized. I’ll be posting my progress on these blocks, and if you would like to join in for yourself, pick up a copy of the issue and dig right in.  I’ll be posting to social media using the hash tags #quiltville #addictedtoscraps and #diamondtilequilt.  Tag your social media with these tags also and I’ll be able to find you and see what you are sharing.

**Note**  All information on this block is in the magazine and I am unable to post sizes of block units.  Thanks for understanding.

20180406_102526

Oh, and I found the perfect place for that mirror!

Now in search of a small stand to go beneath it.

As the Hubster arrived last evening - this morning’s not so pleasurable chore involves taking both vehicles into town for their yearly inspections – I am not having what happened to me LAST year happen THIS YEAR. (I was caught driving with expired tags, remember?!)  We can have lunch out while we wait and catch up.

IMG_20180407_084856_212000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Quilt found in Illinois.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Be the light for someone who needs it. That someone just might be you!

Much love from my rainy corner of southwest Virginia -





17 comments:

  1. Here in Michigan we can pay for our car plates we can pay a extra fee I think it is like $15 and it will get us into any park in Michigan free. It was the best thing Michigan ever did. So I buy it every year and even if I never go the money goes to keep the parks up and running so it is worth it but if I go once it pays for itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I wish Virginia would adopt that deal!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for my magazine to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters were so tickled by mama pony and her brand new baby. Thanks for including that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. I do admit to the same winter butt affliction. Not even going outside today. It's 37 degrees here in the North Dallas area. Know you will enjoy your day out & about town & a bit of relief that those pesky car tags rules have been fulfilled for another year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Quiltmaker, but I would love if they would give "Bonnie's Alternate Cutting Instructions". Longtime Quiltmaker subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got my Quiltmaker magazine yesterday. I thought about making a block. Fun one, but I have to resist starting a new project. Beatles all around you. Thanks for sharing. No such thing as overgraming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the video. Are those horses wild ones? So interesting. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gracias Bonnie, es precioso.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came in from a BUSY day at work and loved "armchair traveling" through your beautiful scenery. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the video with the mountains in the background - the horses were also a treat! Our highest point in RI is a little over 800 ft LOL!!!
    Watched the hot tub video. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the coloring on the new foal, I think it was literally just born when you took the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome story too your venture of the hike.Thank you for sharing and I love the Quotes.The video is so cool of the horses and nature around them.Sadie probably enjoyed the hike too☺.Your a great lady Bonnie and we enjoy your stories and your quilting.Have an Awesome Day 🕊🌷🌹🌺⚘🥀🌲🌾🌿🌳🏞🏔⛺🌄😉❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely loved the Blue Ridge Mountain video with the ponies! I just moved to Driftwood, Texas from south central Virginia and miss the beautiful Virginia spring and mountain views.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos. Almost like some of our wild ponies. Had a close encounter myself with a horse today. It wanted it's head scratched and made sure by nodding his head up and down my hand! I love ponies. And the view is stunning. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)