>>>>

Saturday, April 21, 2018

My Blue Heaven with the Cotton Patch Quilters!

20180419_075719
Palm trees against a blue southern California sky?  That IS a Blue Heaven!

And I love this My Blue Heaven class so much, I think it’s time to make a new sample…maybe in a different color way?  Maybe using a different size of strip?

Every time I teach this, new ideas come –if only there was time to stitch them all up!

We met yesterday morning at wonderful, wonderful Thimble Towne who has been so gracious to host all of our events this week.  It’s been a dynamic duo of 2 workshops and a morning lecture for the Cotton Patch Quilters of Kern County, and an evening lecture and today’s Jamestown Landing workshop as a shop event.

What’s been lovely is those who are staying for more than one workshop can leave their stuff in place and not have to move it in or out.


Because we all know, whether it is a 6 hour class, or a full 3 day retreat weekend, we BRING IT ALL!  Click to play:


Each morning the line of quilters waiting to get in (OPEN! OPEN! OPEN!) has been out the door, down the hall, wheeling in machines and fabric and everything that a quilter needs.

With hauling all this stuff, who needs a gym?


20180421_073904

Oh Christina!

Each morning since I arrived I have waited with great anticipation to see what Christina’s shirt-of-the-day would say.

Yesterday she was working with Kaffe Fassett fabrics….oh, this is too perfect!

20180419_100408

From Thursday’s double lecture day!

xx

Such a fun lady!!

She left home for Vegas yesterday afternoon where I hope she is home safe and sound and working on the projects she started with me this week.  I miss her already - Today won't be the same without her!

20180420_110706

We got busy with the Essential Triangle tool!

The pattern for My Blue Heaven is found under the free patterns at the top of the blog. 

And while this pattern was written more than 12 years ago before the tool was available, students loved using ONE tool for the half-square and  quarter-square triangles as well as for the combination units like Flying Geese found in this quilt.  So easy to use one tool instead of two!

20180420_144010

Oh the colors that came out to play!

20180420_150649

Oh, wheeeee!

20180421_073135

Great blocks, ladies!

20180420_125117

We all fell in love with the little 1970s Kenmore!

20180421_072918

Thanks for the wonderful day, ladies!

Another highlight of my day – second from the left, with red purse- Oh, my goodness!  It’s Nancy Rink!!  I’m so happy she came for a play day with us.  

One thing we agree on – quilting instructors, authors, and fabric designers do not get enough time to just PLAY with something that doesn’t have a deadline.  Nancy is a girl after my own heart, and I am amazed that she came to take MY class!

20180421_073508

What a great day to play!

You’ll find the rest of our day’s play time in the video below.  Click to play:



It just goes to show you - we ALL just want to be "One of the girls."  Our time together is much more about friendships and relationships than it is about the quilting.


20180421_074112

And yes!  There was more lovely Signature 60wt for each student!

I just LOVE this thread!


IMG_20180420_203320_015

Shouting out to Dolores and Barbara!

My thanks to Barbara and Dolores for their gifts of pre-cut Diamond Tile block kits so I could continue stitching on a borrowed featherweight until I return home on Sunday! I met Dolores at the morning meeting with the Cotton Patch Quilters and Barbara came to my evening presentation at Thimble Towne! What are the chances? Thanks, ladies!

20180421_072621

Last night’s batch!

The featherweight goes back to her owner today as I’m checking out of my hotel this morning.  But my block total this trip is 21!  That is significant!  How are you coming on yours?

It should be much easier to find the May/June 2018 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine – shops finally have them in stock!  But why not subscribe so you don’t miss any of my Addicted to Scraps columns?

When today’s Jamestown Landing workshop from String Fling is over, we’ll drop any leftover boxes of books at FedEx and be on our way to LAX where I’ll stay the night, flying home tomorrow.  The hotel shuttle will be easier than fighting traffic to LA tomorrow morning.

IMG_20180421_064545_518

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage tulip quilt found in Bakersfield, California!

I love that the things my mom told me again and again in my growing up years still ring true!

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone!



9 comments:

  1. What fun times! That featherweight is just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me, I have one of those Kenmore cuties in the rose covered case. I should get it out and play with it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I about fell over!!! That little Kenmore that popped up in the column today is the machine I just pulled out to clean up. Had to order a bobbin case. It is so cute, want to keep it but should I say should sell it since I have 3 featherweights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a subscription. Called them yesterday. I should have my copy by the 30th. Late but coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been blessed by your presence Bonnie. Your energy and passion overflows with love. Safe travel home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the workshop yesterday. Half square triangles, hourglasses, and flying geese will be so much easier for me to make in the future! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a wonderful time quilting. The Thursday lecture was inspiring. The classes were packed with information, hints, and great new techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie you have a huge following, and honestly I only subscribed to Quiltmaker because of your column. I would love to see your patterns showcased intead of a blip in the back of the magazine.I hope you are paid well for your talents because you are a true gem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like so much fun!! My Blue Heaven is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)