>>>>

Monday, April 16, 2018

A Hawk’s Nest Day in Napa!

20180416_060322-001
Triangles, triangles, oh – SEW MANY TRIANGLES!

We met yesterday with the Napa Valley Quilters and visiting friends at the senior activities center (beautiful location!) for our busy bustling Hawk’s Nest workshop from my book Scraps & Shirttails II!

I am so tickled that these books that are 8 to 10 years old still have workshop quilts in high demand.  Quilts that have been in cold storage for a while get to come out and play and it just goes to prove that some block designs may be classic in nature, but so variable when it comes to fabrics and layouts and modern up-dos!

We were 44 quilters strong, and with the room divided up into two groups, we doubled up on the demos and got everyone working with strips and specialty rulers like the Essential Triangle Tool focusing on building triangle variety from short strip sets.  

Short strip sets are the best thing when it comes to building variety and variety we needed – each block takes 16 half square triangle units – 4 that match the center “Donut” in the block, and the other 12 randomly scrappy.

20180416_055730-001


Triangles, triangles, triangles, triangles!

All cut in matched pairs, ready to sew!

20180416_060528

Pieces and parts, and favorite featherweights!

20180416_055037

Sewing more sewing – oh so many small pieces!

20180416_060405-001

And more triangles – So many more triangles!

20180416_055642

Did I mention LOADS of triangles?

There was also a wonderful salad lunch – full bellies, a great show & share (to come in a future post!) and back to sewing….

20180415_111316

Stunning classic beauty.

20180416_060423

Busy little quilter bees, everyone!

20180416_054809-001

Group layout of blocks in progress!

You’ll find the rest of our day’s fun in the video below.  Click to play:


At some point in the afternoon the rain came in buckets.  And we didn’t mind.  The area still needs more water – and the grapes are not complaining.

20180415_085230

My digs while here!

A nice dinner out at a Mediterranean place in Napa and I was back to my little cottage with time to do some stitching myself.  Of course, my grandiose plans of stitching the hours away was cut short by my inability to keep my eyes open past 9pm.  

This time zone adjustment thing is just really kicking my hiney this go around.

20180416_054441-002

But SOME  Diamond Tile blocks are being made!

This is Jamie’s purple featherweight I was also pleased to borrow at Asilomar last month.

This morning the rain has started up again, and I have no idea how long it will continue.  We’ll be inside stitching away on Talkin’ Turkey from String Fling – and since we were able to leave our machines and STUFF at the center overnight, I’m happy that we don’t have to lump all of that through the rain – let’s just hope it has moved on by the time class is over at 4pm and it is time to pack it all up again.

Tomorrow – I travel to Bakersfield!

IMG_20180416_064845_168

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

(Hawk’s Nest Quilt from Scraps & Shirttails II)

Positivity reinforces positivity. What you put out there as energy comes back. Stay positive!

Have a lovely Monday, friends!


11 comments:

  1. which book is Diamond Tiles in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the May/June 2018 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine, just hitting news stands now.

      Delete
    2. thank you for taking the time to answer I know you are really busy!

      Delete
  2. Rain, Rain Go Away! Rain and a Monday sounds great for staying in to Quilt or Stitch. It's Quilt Guild Day, so I'll hurry back to get my stitches in. Jamie is so kind to loan out that Pretty Featherweight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting more and more tempted to start these Diamond Tile blocks each time I see some. I'm a Quiltmaker subscriber, so I have the magazine. The ones above are so pretty! Thank you, Bonnie for the inspiration you provide us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live down the road/hiway in Benicia most likely you will take a different route to Bakersfield but which ever bridge you cross wave I'll be waving.
    It's getting a bit of sun peeking through the clouds. Time zones heading West are ALWAYS difficult much better dealing with time zones heading East .
    Oh our Benicia town is FULL of antique shops, bars and restaurants since you are close to us the only draw for you is antiques but we have lots of those

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I lived on your side of the Atlantic - France is a long way to travel to get to one of your wonderful workshops, no matter how much I'd love to get there. As an alternative, I thought about doing one of your on-line courses, Bonnie then I remembered reading one of your blogs where you talked about how little you 9and other "teachers) got if we bought patterns, books etc through sources other than direct from the "author" - in this case, obviously YOU. So, how can I buy your course "Wanderlust Quilts with Bonnie Hunter" from a source that benefits you most. Thank you - I just love your books, blogs, columns etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bonnie: Napa and Bakersfield, Oh My- I know the areas well. But no Clovis or Fresno? At least you are there before it gets too hot. Have fun, and I hope it doesn't rain on you too much!

    Donna
    Kasilof, AK
    Where it is sunny and about 46 degrees, which is warm for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That featherweight is just adorable and the blocks are scrummy, such a beautiful setting have a fantastic time. Still trying to get hold of Quiltmaker Magazine not sure if it gets to the uk and can’t find it on download yet, but I’ll keep trying just love those diamond tile blocks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So enjoyed your blogs about Napa County. One of my favorite things in the fall is driving up 101from Sonoma County to Sacramento and passing Fairfield and the smell of onions. I sure do miss CA and happy that you were able to enjoy the beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so great to meet you on Sunday at the lecture, it was a wonderful event. On your way to Bakersfield if you pass a big purple motorhome pulling a trailer with a John Deere Gator on it wave, it's us headed to Tulare for a antique tractor show. You may even see my sewing companion Lacey the Jack Russell in the window. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)