>>>>

Sunday, August 02, 2020

Saturday in the Virginia Highlands!



A cooler morning.

Nothing pressing on my to-do list.

Zoey and I headed up to Grayson Highlands yesterday morning, dropping the out-going mail order at the USPS on our way.

The rain from the night before and the cooler temps had left a bit of ethereal fog between the rises and ridges, and it was a wonderful way to welcome in August.

August?  Really?  How did we get to August already?

And as they say, time marches on and stops for no one.


You can see a bit of the fog still clinging here -

Trying its best to stick around while the sun was doing all it could do to burn it off.


Even the ponies were enjoying the cooler weather!

Click to Play:


As it was a Saturday, and still prime time for family getaways, I am glad we went as early as we did.  Groups distanced from each other, but it can be hard on trails that really only allow for single file hiking.


Feeding my soul -


Sorry about the back shot -

But check out that girth!

This mama will be foaling soon.


A wonderful way to spend Saturday morning!

And the truth be told, not much else was accomplished – not the cutting time I wanted, the sewing time I wanted – My legs were tired and wanted a rest!

I received a call that my friend Martha had located a gallon glass jar with a lid that I have been looking all spring for.

I swung by for a round of socially distant lemonade while enjoying the breeze and the shade under the old trees in her front yard.

Why did I want a glass jar?


Because it makes the best sun tea!

She had gotten a truckload (literally) of canning jars at an estate sale, and found amongst them the gallon glass pickle jar that I have been looking for.

The afternoon sun on the deck was just the ticket to get this batch going -

And while it brewed and steeped in sunlight, this girl crashed for a 3 hour nap in the cool of the upstairs room with the ceiling fan whirring.

The kind of deep sleep that can reset a body clock after a busy week of go go go.

So much for sewing with that 3 hours!  But that nap was wonderful.


There was some applique in the evening -

Just one block.


The cut out center is trimmed and saved!


There really isn’t much waste here -

And these pieces are way too small to use.

(Can you believe I said that?!)


This trimmed pile is growing too!

Not sure what they will become yet -

But fun, all the same.

If you are looking for something to do for your Sunday – how about starting here:


We are gearing up for HollyAnne Knight’s Fall session of Free Motion Quilting Academy to start registration later in the month.

If you missed the spring session and were waiting to register for the fall session, keep following along.  I’ll let you know when the Early Bird special registration begins so you can save some in the process.

But to get us excited about learning to quilt our own quilts on our home sewing machines, here is a little quiz for you that comes with a free video tutorial that is sent to your email so you can start practicing today!


It’s a little multiple choice quiz – and I happily played along just to see what it would consider me to be.
My answer:


Perfect!  I love quilting paisleys!

And after finishing and inputting my email and confirming it, the “How to free motion quilt paisleys” video showed up in my inbox!

Which Free Motion Quilting Motif are YOU!?  Let me know in the comments section below.

And be watching for more Free Motion Quilting Academy ramping up to happen here over the next few weeks. (Registration isn’t open yet, but will be soon!)

Today – will I get to the sewing machine?

I hope so!

Anything special going on for you this first Sunday in August, 2020?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Many problems are just temporary setbacks. Keep moving forward!

Vintage strippy quilt found in Virginia. It has me heading for the string bin all over again!



83 comments:

  1. Hurrah for naps and paisleys (I got it also, my personal fave). Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a woodgrain. The horses looked so calm and peaceful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:15 AM EDT

    I am a "Wishbones" pattern, which looks like I might be able to do. I am looking forward to the video. Thanks for sharing that quiz and the info about FMQ, Bonnie. I live "down the road" a bit from you off of Hwy 16 in NC. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine came up Paisleys also...I'm in good, make that GREAT company. Love your blog, can't wait to read it every morning with my coffee. your quilting has been an inspiration.
    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wishbones and glad you were able to nap. Naps are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got paisley, too! What a fun quiz. I may take it again and see if I get a different design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the pony pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I scored pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of those gallon pickle jars They are wonderful for all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm Wishbone! Looking forward to taking her Academy this fall!

    Catherine in SW Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m paisley too! Nap today sounds good. One of our smoke alarms went off at 4:25 am, needing a battery change!, it took us a few minutes to figure out which one was chirping (after being awakened by a full blown alarm. It was in my studio - good thing I had turned off my iron!). Note to self and husband, change all smoke alarm batteries the same day and plan ahead for 9 months to schedule the next battery change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am "woodgrain". I love the idea of a lazy (err RESTFUL) day. Glad you got to enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hooked swirls which I adore. Necessary naps are. . . well, necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm paisley too- which is perfect because I love paisley fabric!
    I always enjoy seeing the ponies. Such broad bellies!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grateful you were able to allow your body the needed rest!
    I am a Paisley also. Seriously considering the opportunity to learn free motion quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got Pebbles! Also I think I have to join her academy this up-coming session

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got Pebbles! Also I think I have to join her academy this up-coming session

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got Pebbles! Also I think I have to join her academy this up-coming session

    ReplyDelete
  18. Apparently, I am hooked swirls and that was a surprise. Today will be a gardening day for me. I'll be looking for hooked swirls. Happy stitchin', y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I seem to be a paisley. What a fun little quiz. I wouldn’t have guessed paisley, although I think that’s a great quilting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures! If you ever want a lite read pick up Sandra Dallas's The Persian Pickle Club. Takes place back in the 30s. That is what they called a paisley back then. It is about a sewing club. Really fun and a little mystery. Have a great rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woodgrain, though paiseleys speak loudly to me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got hooked swirls. Like the paisley motif as well! I was wondering if you were trimming out behind the hexagons... I see that you are and making use of the cutoff pieces! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wishbones is my FMQ motif. Love the ponies what a great day. Finishing Hurricane preparations in Jacksonville, FL. Enjoy your stitching time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got Wishbone. Not as brave as you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am also a paisley. Nothing special planned for the day today. I am looking forward to a sunny day. We have had nearly 10 inches of rain over the last 3 days.
    I have a row by row kit I bought in 2014. I am trying to figure out what size Dresden wedges to use. There is nothing in the directions to indicate which size and the shop where I bought the kit is now closed. Not that they would remember anyway. Hope you have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have SO many of those pickle jars! My 14yo can eat a whole jar of those pickles a day! She just loves them...then makes the juice into pickled sliced beets (after draining the juice from 4 cans of beets and letting it sit 24 hours, YUM), then makes THAT juice into pickled eggs. You can do green pickled eggs too. Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have half a dozen jars ready to be recycled now. I go thru a gal of pickles about every two months!!! Glad I am not the only pickle junkie!!!!

      Delete
  27. Looks like I am Wishbone! Thanks for all you do day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wishbones.

    My birthday was last week, and it is usually the hottest week of the year (and this year didn't disappoint). Apparently I arrived a week-10 days early, and I've often thought of my poor mother, waddling around in the heat, waiting for me to arrive. Looks like there is going to be a pony explosion soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You definitely remind me of paisleys! I got pebbles, which I have never done. This should prove interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Waiting for my new refrigerator to arrive. Yes Lowe’s delivers on Sundays. Just in the nick of time since our old door fell off when my husband opened it this morning for his OJ. I heard a noise and when I went in he was holding the door. We had ordered a new one in July because the door was not shutting. Not a sewing day but one of the necessary days. Your are so blessed to be able to walk and see the beautiful horses and country.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Haha, I got wishbones, love that design. Love the ponies, wish I could see them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. woodgrain! meh! cherish that gallon "tea" jar gift! saw them on sale by zully, 4 for $36.99!!!! whoo eee...Cats in Carlsbad CA...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pebbles will cover my quilts, so I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I also got paisley, even though I like everything to do with quilts!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am Paisley too! YaY!!! I love Paisley but don't do much in the way of quilting. I need to learn, but first I need to finish projects that are started. Today my finishes will be two more pillow cases as a thank you to a friend and neighbor who came with her tractor and mowed our back four acres for us! YAY friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm a pebbles kind of person!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I got wishbone which happens to be the first one I’ve felt confident using on my new Sweet Sixteen!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm a paisley, too. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Paisley for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am feathers. I needed a nap today too! Zzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh such lovely chubby tummied ponies and sleepy foals. Thank you - adorable little things.
    And woodgrain for me!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I got pebbles and those scare me more than paisleys!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Paisley here too. Since it's already Monday morning here, I guess I'll try to watch that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I got wishbones. Thank you for an enjoyable blog. I always love hearing what you and the animals are up to for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am paisley also. I hate to admit it but I haven’t fmq in a long, long time. My quilts over the past few years have been mostly charity quilts that were to be done quickly and turned into the guild for donation. Those quilts that weren’t charity quilts were for my sons and grandsons and were sent to a longarm quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Always enjoy opening my day with you. I got Woodgrain, fits me perfectly! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Swirls for me which is my most natural go-to motion because I can relax more while using it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Paisley which I love! I don't know how to quilt them but I can learn.
    I love seeing the ponies and the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I’m paisley too! Nice to know we have this in common also.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Bonnie,

    Thanks for the clip on the beautiful ponies.
    I got pebbles. Funny when my sister got her quilting frames I did pebbles around the stones in the fabric in a baby quilt years ago.
    Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for the fun quiz! I am Wishbones - "the Tshirt and blazer of quilting motifs".

    ReplyDelete
  52. "Real" sun tea is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mornin' Bonnie, Hey, has that mama about to foal been taking "rump up" classes from Zoey?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am Wishbones! I love Wishbones but hey I love just about any design! But one that is as free wheeling as Wishbones could only be fun to FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I have about a half dozen of those gallon pickle jars that I got over 40 years ago. They are so useful for not only sun tea, but storing pastas, flour, etc. Love the combination of the string blocks and English paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Gallon jars for the sun tea win! I have one that was actually sold as a jar for making sun tea and even though I broke the lid I have kept it because it's hard to find glass gallon jars. On the free motion front, I got pointed swirls, which is on target. I love them! Simple, not real busy is my style.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hooked on swirls! Love sun tea, we actually found a big 'sun tea' jar years ago with a sun decal, which is pretty much fades totally off, now! Have a 'awesun' day!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I got hooked swirls! I so enjoy your treks up to the ponies! The scenery is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm wishbone. Looking forward to watching the video later today.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I came up paisley as well. I still have not gotten around to FMQ, but perhaps someday. The strange thing is while waiting for sleep, I sketch paisleys in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm a PAISLEY! Can't wait to put this motif to use!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Turns out I'm a Paisley also.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I am wishbones, it's a great fmq design for a quick finish. I too, love a good glass jar with a lid...refrigerator pickles, sauerkraut and sun tea. Every once in a while I find one at a yard sale and snatch it up.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I am Paisley also. Loved the ponies. That is beautiful country, so peaceful and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  65. I am wishbones also. Love my sun tea jars too. Thanks for sharing the ponies. I love watching them through you.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I'm a PAISLEY too.

    Virginia
    (your Minnesota look-a-like)

    ReplyDelete
  67. I imagine you are really enjoying this CALM time to be at home with hubby, playing with your fabrics and welcoming new friends to the retreat house! No having to reset your internal clock after trips to opposite sides of the world. Time to slow down and enjoy being you. When this covid nonsense is over I hope that you slow down your flighty life and take life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Pebbles --- lloking forward to learning how to do it!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  69. My quilting is "Wishbone"

    ReplyDelete
  70. Im up for swirls! sure enjoy your beautiful photos...the serene landscape, the pets and most certainly the quilting! thank you for making my day again.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)