>>>>

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Breaking Up is Easy to Do!


Quiltville Inn got a new fridge last night.

It was a “MUST HAPPEN” event - It was time to break up with the old one.

The existing fridge is 10 years old, proof found on the dated label inside the fridge.  We have tried to fix it three times in rapid succession since March.

We tried “ALL of the above” recommendations and there is just no fixing that thing.  We’ve lost trust in it.

And dealing with a failing fridge is not something you can easily work with when you are running a hospitality business.

You can’t have the ice maker not make ice.  You can’t have the freezer compartment leaving ice cream soft, while the fruit in the chill drawer in the fridge side freezes.

We had to bite the bullet.

This photo is of the guys loading this thing into the trailer last evening.  Thank you Lowes for masking up your employees!


Heave, Ho!


And now that it is in, let’s get it upright!

I also wanted to point out the clouds on the mountain just in front of the truck – I love clouds like that, don’t you?  Due to yesterday’s rain our temps never left the 60s.  Nice!


Anchoring this puppy down!

I am a Nervous Nelly when it comes to moving things like this, and we did have to stop a couple of times to tighten the straps as they were coming loose. Winding mountain roads and tall boxes on a trailer.  Freaks me out!

Friends Martha and Don met us at Quiltville Inn to help us offload it.


Out with the old, In with the new!

The plan is to put the old one in the garage/shop to use as fridge overflow (Not trusting the freezer!) But should work for beverages, produce etc on the fridge side.

No residential freezer is going to make enough ice for 12 retreaters with huge polar cups, but the back porch fridge can always hold a couple spare bags of ice.

We were even talking about removing the under-the-counter wine rack area and plumbing in an ice maker, but that would have to come WAY down the line on things we need to do in the future.


It’s in!

This was getting late last evening, about 8pm – and we hadn’t had dinner yet.  Today I’ll go back and remove all of the protective films and tape that is holding shelves and drawers and stuff in place and get it ready for the water to be turned on later and get that ice maker filling.

This fridge extends a bit further in front so it has a bit more capacity.

Also discovered last night – the island is movable!  I never knew!  So now we can scoot it back a bit to make better use of the space for when folks are working in the kitchen.

And while the guys did the install – Martha and I did this:


Zoey, herding the swing! LOL!

On the quilty front – this happened between 4:30am and 7:00 am this morning:


Five more Nearly Lemoyne blocks underway.

What can I say?  I got hot about 4:00am.  I got up to the restroom, tried to go back to sleep.  Turned the ceiling fan on to move air.  NADA.  The brain started firing up. (You know how that goes!)

I came down to the sewing room, kitted up a few blocks and sat down to sew.  This is the result.  There may be a nap this afternoon!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Vintage pinwheel quilt shared by Kevin the Quilter!

Shift happens.

It's how we adapt through that shifting to our new normal that ultimately makes our ride a happy one!

What does your Tuesday hold in store for your new normal today?



34 comments:

  1. It is never dull at your house Bonnie! I would love a new frig, but we can't afford it rite now and the old one is working. I love Zoey herding the swing, she is wonderful! I am up early for me and off to the grocery store before it gets to busy. I love the nearly Lemoyne stars! I look forward to seeing the beautiful combinations you are making. Have a wonderful day and thank you for these wonderful early morning chats! I get my coffee in the morning and first thing check to see what is happening with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that Zoey! Was she nervous something would happen to you??? New fridge looks great Sio does what I could see of the kitchen. I am in Iowa-just know that I would LOVE to retreat there. I suppose thousands of people have said that they don't make appliances too last like they use to. We handed down a gold fridge many, many years ago to our son to use in his cabin & it is still working! Must be over 25 years old. I am trying to not think about a new normal and doing one day at a time. Why is it we are all more comfortable with what use to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our refrigerator is ten year old too knock on wood it's still running good.I am painting by morning when it's cool and quilting in the afternoon. It may take me all summer to paint my house but a few hours a day I'm making progress, slow and steady wins the race, boy what a difference a fresh coat of paint can make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got our new fridge Sunday, just as the door to our old one fell off in my husbands arms Sunday morning. Sunday was quite an exciting day!!! LOL Enjoy your new fridge. Your Almost LeMoyne blocks are delicious like candy. Going to have to start those. And your day was so full of relaxing fun. Hope your weather does not get too bad this week. Stay safe, healthy and happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning! Did you get to keep your kitty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She mentioned that in Monday's post, I believe.

      Delete
    2. My mistake - it was on her Facebook feed yesterday. There was no chip, so Kitty Ivy is a Quiltville resident!

      Delete
  6. me too, coffee first, bonnie next first! Love the haircut, you look mahvelous! Thanks for the fun, Zoey didn't know how to handle mom swinging around!!! hadda be herded u p... <3 Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. We built our house in 2001. We are on our 3rd refrigerator, 2nd dishwasher, 2nd microwave and 3rd garbage disposal. Nothing lasts. I do still have my same oven tho. Zoey is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wine rack verses ice maker???? Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In 33 yrs in my house in Pgh, I am on my 4th hot water heater since that was the very first thing that needed replacement after I moved in. The Frigidaire I bought when moving in lasted past 25 + yrs - and hadn't broken but I realized how inefficient it must have been compared to a new one. I didn't even keep it for the basement. Third dishwasher, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had frig problems last summer and the repair person told us appliances are made to last 8 to 10 yrs max. How depressing so we know what your dealing with. How fun on the rope swing gave me a nice smile to start my day. Thank you for all you do and say Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about Ivy? Is she moving in permanently?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did the vet appointment go for Ivy?
    Nice refrigerator. They don't make them like they use to:)
    Have a wonderful day, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bonnie,
    How did you make out with Ivy? Are you keeping her?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on being able to actually get a new fridge when you needed it. Our upright freezer gave up the ghost last Saturday so we went to Lowe's yesterday morning and ordered a new one. Delivery will be Dec. 2nd! Two hundred-fifty are available in a warehouse in Charlotte but according to Lowe's, actual shipping in the US has been greatly slowed by the pandemic. I had searched at multiple stores before ordering at Lowe's and was repeatedly told same story. So, we wait.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad has been trying to buy a new fridge for a month, and can't find one anywhere. Thank goodness his still works, but the freezer door won't stay shut!

      Delete
  15. Our appliance repair guy says the energy efficiency requirements have led to parts and systems that aren't as robust as the old equipment. We're lucky to get ten years out of appliances these days, esp those that use water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We need a new fridge too, but alas, there is no really good reason to replace this one at this time. We did replace our stove/oven a while back the burners were bipolar.
    I love the swing and Zoey playing along. She is such a happy pup!
    I also love "shift happens", it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a chuckle out of your stove burners being bipolar. Good description.
      Polly

      Delete
  17. Eager to hear about Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We hardly ever run out of ice in Alaska, but a friend in Florida has a portable ice maker that sits on the counter and chugs out ice without a separate water line. Might be the perfect solution for the Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I sit and sew my ankles swell really bad. What was the name of the cushion that you ordered? Would that possibly help my ankles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try propping the left leg on a pillow on a small overturned trash can. Maybe you could learn to switch out legs every half hour or so. You know, like ambidextrous but with your feet 😬

      Delete
    2. You can find the link to order the SewPad in the Quiltville Store at https://quiltville.com/shop.html Click the SewPad category image. it will direct you to the site for purchase.

      Delete
  20. Our Lowe's will jot allow anyone in the store without a mask. Period! I appreciate that and told them so!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am also wondering about the chair cushion you mentioned, Bonnie. Couldn't find it in your For Sale area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the link to order the SewPad in the Quiltville Store at https://quiltville.com/shop.html Click the SewPad category image. it will direct you to the site for purchase.

      Delete
  22. Great laugh first thing - that swing was going for ages - brilliant fun! Today we are in those clouds with misty rain. I like it when it isn't so wet but it is very atmospheric. That lovely fabric that you are using. Super progress even if it was a tad early to set things up. Enjoy that snooze!
    I miss our big fridge freezer - it decided to short out while we were on holiday/vacation before we moved here. We came home to half a melted and refrozen freezer. The ice box had dripped down and as it was icing back over, it gave an appearance of a jelly fish at the front of the shelves! Thankfully it hadn't burnt the house down!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Our fridge is 20 years old and I'm getting nervous. We had to replace it a couple of days before Christmas the year we moved in. We found one we like and I'm sure more efficient but our spot isn't tall enough for the new monsters out there. A friend who works with cabinets is going to modify our existing opening and then we'll get the new one.

    Kitchen sink is next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We,too,have had a new refrigerator delivered within last week. The 20 yr. old one was repaired three times. Grateful for new one!
    BTW the delivery people did not have masks on them and they were from Lowe's.
    I am enjoying your progress on the almost Lemoyne stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diane Holder
    As a PA, I am hoping you will check in with medical provider about leg swelling. Usually related to cardiac issues. Also start monitoring sodium intake. Read labels, it is shocking! Dietitian can give you guidance. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Our frig at the cabin is from the early 70s. When I was trying to buy a new gasket for the freezer and they didn't have it in stock I made the comment that we might need to buy a new refrigerator, the employee quickly said not to because the new one would not last more than 10 years. We found a new gasket and it's humming along beautifully. Ugly as everything but works great.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)