>>>>

Friday, August 14, 2020

Moving on to Binding!


Did you know that Binding is my favorite slow-down sport?

And I got to this stage just in the nick of time.

About the time that I was finishing up the last machine quilting pass – the clouds were gathering overhead outside, turning the sky a 5pm-after-fall-back-time-change DARK.

Which was crazy – as it was only about 2:30pm!

And when that storm let loose – it let loose!  Lightning flashed, followed by instantaneous booms letting me know that lightning was VERY close.  The rain came in buckets as the thunder continued to roar.

All computer items including the quilting machine were turned off.

The power blipped a couple of times.  But in between those times I was able to get this binding, label and hanging sleeve stitched to the quilt so I’d have several evenings of feet up handwork ahead.


That “on the verge of ugly” backing fabric!

it’s even got gold glittery dragonflies to tie in the garden theme.  I’m not sure if that helps or not because I am not even sure where this fabric came from – I don’t tend to buy anything with shiny metallic on it! 

Still, it works for this quilt.  it eliminates 6 yards of the stuff (that I didn’t buy!) as well as using up an extra length of green string border and some Kelly green homespun that was laying around.  What a combo! LOL! 

I hope 50 years from how there will be someone laughing hysterically at the fabric combos in this thing – it will have made it all worth it!


I love how the Hyacinth Grande pantograph turned out.


And that green string border -

From a bag of gifted string blocks -

Kismet!


And this is what Ivy thinks of it all!


And you KNOW where I was come 8pm!


Close up of backing, dragonflies and binding.


Someone begging for attention!

Thank you for understanding that this version of my Blossom Time block and quilt won’t be available in pattern form until the publication of my next book down the pipeline.  

The tulip block is found in the March/April 2019 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine in my Addicted to Scraps column.  Digital copies are available.  You can start making the blocks ahead of time.  You’ll be ready to set them together when I have a publication date.

More rain is expected today – it’s about 1,000% humidity out there.  It’s another great day for staying in and doing something quilty.

I think there may be some organization of the crumb stash happening today as I dig back into my Snail’s Trail blocks now that Blossom Time is in the binding stages.

Anything fun in store for your Friday ahead?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

I love this quote by Georgia O'Keeffe. I can so relate, can you? 

If only our quilts could talk!

Free pattern for Dancing Nine Patch found under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Have you made one?  Simple nine patches are such a feel good, aren’t they?

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!


33 comments:

  1. Miss Ivy is a beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful quilts and beautiful critters go together and Bonnie has both for sure.

      Delete
  2. I am binding in frantic haste a quilt to gift ti a friend that has a diagnosis of kidney cancer and has been in the hospital for over a week now. Mary ANn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs for you and prayers for your friend. Linda

      Delete
  3. I get to go and see some Quilts at the Sarpy County Museum!!! YEA, a Quilty Day. I am a happy Quiltin' Grandma. It's been way too long. Have a great day in that 1000 % Humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your quilts, but I have to say I LOVE this one! It is my all time favorite and is one I will make in the future. Thank you Bonnie for sharing your talent and love of quilts with us!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love how Blossom time turned out, your backing looks just perfect. Ivy really looks settled into her new home, she is such a pretty little cat. So pleased she found you.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Stay safe
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt. Well, the front. hahaha Those are some pretty contented fur-babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Zoey! Pets can really tug at our heart strings. Here in Iowa we experienced hurricane type winds on Monday afternoon which took down thousands of trees which cut off electricity. Some communities are still without power and will be for a few more days. There was no internet or cell phone in some areas. It is scary how dependent we can become on cell phone and computers. My daughter-in-law is a pharmacist and they can't fill prescriptions without accessing customer's records. This has opened our understanding to what the southern states go through when a hurricane causes devastation. I am SO grateful that our families are safe and pray for those that are struggling. "A life-long Iowa gal"

    ReplyDelete
  8. well now, i adore Blossom Time and everything about her, including the dragon=fly backing!!! and the binding? It's perfection...thank you so much, i cannot say it too much... your contribution to my life is exquisite... love those fur persons too... did you know Zoey was gonna be such a clown? I've not heard or seen anything like her... thanks for all you do, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, adventures and photos.. Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have some of that backing fabric too. I also don't where I got it, I know it's not something I would buy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is fabulous! I made some of these cute little blocks for a group project last summer, but now I've made a few to keep for my own project. I love your layout. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stormy weather??? Treadle Time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have to chuckle, I found your backing fabric in my stash on a recent reorganization. Believe it was purchased over 10 years ago during the huge Asian fad going on at that time. Have about four other related prints, too. All destined to be backs or cut up very small!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am copying the comment from ClaudiaB above. I love all your quilts but this one is truly splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love it (although I never would've done those teeny tiny sashing pieces!). And that Ivy really hit the 'home' jackpot..to think of where she might've wound up, she is one lucky kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That green string border makes the entire quilt shine! I don't think any other border could do more justice to all your wonderful pieced tulip blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used your Dancing Nine Patch setting to put together some crumb blocks. It made an adorable baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Dancing 9 patch pattern! I've made it 3 times! Great way to use up scraps! Love your blog! Enjoy your weekend. Reading your blog is the best way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the tulip block but I really love how when it is set in your quilt that you see that secondary pattern more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, that green string border was a fantastic choice. The quilt was already lovely, but that border sets it off perfectly. Such a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I actually love the backing. Different strokes for different folks is a true saying.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How are your pets during a storm? We also have three cats and a dog, and one cat and the dog are afraid of them. Your quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your Blossom Time quilt! It is a real beauty and I hope the opportunity comes to see it in real life. Thanks for always being such an inspiration. Good luck with your storms. I live in northeast Florida along the coast and we have had some terrifying storms this year. I've never shut down the computer and unplugged my sewing machine so many times as this summer! Stay safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love love love this quilt! My silly thinking is that Dresden sent Ivy to you, saying to her that Bonnie will take you and love you. Besides Lola and Zoey needed a new friend. Send some of that rain up to us in Massachusetts. Everything so dry. We haven't had any measurable rain in weeks. Have a wonderful weekend Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie, I love almost all of your quilts, but this one just speaks to me. If I had a scrap stash like yours, I would do this quilt for myself using every fabric imaginable. Since I don't have a huge scrap stash, I'm going to try it in a more planned pattern. Hopefully it will turn out as beautiful as yours and will be something I enjoy sleeping under!! Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait for the book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Spending my weekend making a quick baby quilt: using a couple of dozen more of the orphan units from En Provence, mixed together with lozenges of novelty fabric that have been waiting for just the right project. It'll be small enough to quilt easily on my domestic, and get it out in the mail next week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A hunk of that backing is languishing in my stash. I confess to buying it during a particularly stressful day while still working. Have a friend who likes glitz in her fabric and dragonflies and thought it might come in handy for something for her. Maybe its a sign to begin my own Blossom Time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have bought that backing fabric - anything with dragonflies gets my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous quilt, have enjoyed seeing it come together and the secondary patterns are wonderful. What a lovely way to spend an evening binding and surrounded by pets.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved how the tulip quilt came together. I thought it was a great fabric backing and appropriate for this quilt. Looking forward to making this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That border is SO perfect! I’m sure many of us will copy it!

    It’s about 1,000% humidity in southern Indiana too! Lol!
    Marci H.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Every time I look at this quilt I smile, it is such a happy quit.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)