>>>>

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Monday On My Own -


Halloween in July I can do!

Christmas can’t happen until October at least, but in the heat of July I start thinking about cooler temperatures, the first sign of leaves turning color towards golden, of pumpkin and spice flavored everything and chilly nights requiring TWO quilts on the bed instead of one in the summer.

It’s been 8 months of NO MACHINE QUILTING for me as we waited for the Quiltville Post Office to be finished.  And then POOF!  All of a sudden, faster than I could have imagined it, the stars aligned, I returned home from California and moved the machine and got it set up THE NEXT DAY.  And I’ve been pinching myself ever since.

I’ve tried to appreciate all of the small things along the way – and when looking back, I see that there have been some mighty big hunks and chunks that have fallen into place as well.

(However, contractors are NOT one of them!  They did a no-show yesterday. Sigh.)


I gave them a never mind and just quilted myself silly in my happy place!

Some of the lessons I am willing to learn include not getting upset over things I can’t control, and focusing on the things that I can.  Quilt number two off the long arm since moving it!

This quilt is slated for “next book” and doesn’t even have a name yet, so stay tuned for this one.  You may recognize the alternate block as a variation of one from my Addicted to Scraps column a year or so back, so any guesses what the theme of the next book might be?


I had a great time pulling fabrics for this one!

Yes there are some Halloween fabrics in here, but I think theme fabrics can overrun a project, so there are other things as well – loads of fun neutrals, even some Y2K fabrics, and a lot of those “Black background with rainbow colored things” that never seemed to fit anywhere else in the Scrap User’s System.  Bicycles, foxes, chili peppers, flowers – if it was multicolored on black, in it went.  The louder and more “non-matchy” the better.


Binding also is prepped -

I didn’t bring the straight stitch walking foot from home for the QPO – I think I see myself ordering another one in the future so that I can apply bindings here.

My thought was to use the slant shank walking foot at the cabin on the 301 – but I got distracted by something else, and frankly didn’t feel like quilt wrestling to get binding on.  (Plus a sleeve needs to be made and a label attached and my brain was not cooperating.)


Grassy Creek NC Post Office -

Operating hours – noon to 4pm!

I left the QPO and drove THIS way back to the cabin, This post office is closer to the cabin than the Mouth of Wilson PO is – dropped off a couple of things, said hello and was home in a flash.  Goodness I love this middle of nowhere living!


The state of my cutting area this morning.  LOL!

I’ve been busy cutting out “You just may know what” in preparation for my 10 days in Pennsylvania that starts tomorrow.  There will be sewing on the road! 


Oooh, this year is going to be a fun one!

But unless there really are quilting wood nymphs out on my mountainside, it’s going to be up to ME to clean up that whirling dervish of a cutting mess this evening.  (And hopefully get the binding on the Halloween quilt….)

I’m giving myself a day to play however!  Martha is coming by and she and I are off to Chilhowie VA for some antiquing fun and lunch out.

It will keep me from steaming that the bathroom contractors haven’t shown up yet.  Perhaps when I check back later this afternoon the claw-foot tubs will have been removed and SOMETHING started?

Which reminds me – heart touch of the day:  Yesterday when I went to refill my glass with ice from the fridge ice-maker there was a dead female cardinal on the porch.  I don’t know if she hit a window and broke her neck, or if some other natural cause got her, but the poor male was flying from porch rail, to her lifeless body – nudging her to wake up, and then back to the porch rail he would fly only to repeat it again and again and again.  My heart just broke for him!  Do cardinals mate for life?

I carefully scooped her up with a dustpan, gave her my condolences, boxed her up and this morning put her out for a garbage truck cortege as Tuesday is trash day. So sorry little one!

Which brings to mind how fleeting life is, so appreciate the small happy things today. 

Don’t let them pass you by!

ALSO: Our Stunning Stitches ebook Gift-Away started yesterday and continues until Wednesday morning when I draw our winner!  Did you enter to win ON THAT POST? As it’s an ebook, international entries are welcome as well!


Quiltville Quote of the Day

List the first small thing that made you smile this morning in the comment section below.

Mine: Deer at the salt lick! 

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone!



90 comments:

  1. Bun Buns (bunnies) seen when walking the dog this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another sunrise with me watching it again. Glad to be here

    ReplyDelete
  3. A clear blue sky and the Addicted to Scraps book sitting beside at the computer tempting me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister sent me Nobody song by Casting Crowns. Lifted my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt...I already have my colors in my mind what I want to use, when the book comes out.
    Sorry the contractors haven't showed up. Enjoy your antiquing adventure today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking up my 11 month old grandson for a play day. He's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dew on the grass this morning...and realizing in a few short months it will be frost

    ReplyDelete
  8. Riverside in Chilhowie used to be a good place for lunch though it has been awhile since I have been there. When I walked this morning I smiled at the overcast as we are on our way to almost 90. Can't wait for October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree re October as another heat wave with days of heat index above 100 degrees arriving limiting any time spent outside. Yuck.

      Delete
  9. Oh, the poor little lady cardinal. Yes, they do mate for life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bunny running across the street on my morning bike ride in the country. Had the whole road to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A free day ahead of me to do whatever I want, planning to add borders to my current quilt project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly getting in my lap for snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I went out this a.m. to feed the chickens, I stopped by the garden and checked things out. I was thrilled to see my first cucumber on the vine. It is a persian pickle variety that I have fallen in love with at the market. Small thing, yes, but I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Baby woodpecker at the suet feeder! She still hasn't quite figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Toast w/pnut butter & coffee, and Quiltville blog! Starts my day on a high note... so sorry about the contractors...i don't think they deliberately want to upset people, i think they don't want to say "no" and are poor at scheduling, sigh..as my sainted mother used to say, "We'll laugh at this some day." sigh... wishing for you "some day" were here NOW. Going to spend sometime with Emerald (what a boat load of tiny pieces) City... in my happy place, Cats from Carlsbad, CA

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sat at my kitchen table with my morning coffee watching out the storm door at a chipmunk making the same 'run' over and over again. I assumed it was to it's nest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lunch with my granddaughters today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Purring Kitty on the bed. So happy to cuddle at 6 am.

    ReplyDelete
  19. waking up in my own bed...always a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. deer in the preserve during my bike ride in early am. So calm and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elinor (kitty) eating her breakfast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bacon cooking for breakfast by my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My alarm clock made me smile- she once was feral, this morning she was busy washing my forearm. I guess I missed a spot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not entirely sure I've smiled yet today! The quilt pattern, with hour glasses and split rails (trains and time) makes me think of "Metro Commute" for a name.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My handsome husband waking me with a kiss. 37 years and he still makes my heart flutter. I am so blessed 😊

    ReplyDelete
  26. My granddaughter's 7 week old kitten purring on my shoulder and playing with my hair. It's a beautiful morning in Spanaway Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The stray cat that is living on our property, and we have started feeding in hopes that he will decide to join our tribe wandered inside from the deck today and helped himself to the 'gushy food' my other cats hadn't yet eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Getting to tell my hubs “I love you” before I left this morning. He’s usually out of the house before I’m up. This morning, I was out the door first.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My doggies, Buddy and Jesse, telling me that it's time to "rise and shine!"

    ReplyDelete
  30. A picture sent to me of my 3 week old grandson. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  31. My dog Dobby jumping up and down this morning happy to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Coffee and Quiltville blog!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hot and humid day. Smells like summer when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Same pair of deer greeting me every am at sunrise when I am walking.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The rain, which I do not like but since we are in year two of a drought I do appreciate today. The weather forecast says rain for the whole week. I'm sure by 7 days of this I'll be tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awe, the poor thing. He will miss her. I had a bunny floating in my pool this morning. :( Love the quilt! Have a great time antiquing with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Watching hummingbirds drinking nectar from bee balm flowers -- it never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  39. A funny meme from my Son instead of a political post. Your Quiltville Quote always makes me smile. Sad for your crazy Cardinal. Have fun with Martha!! I had lunch out yesterday. Girl time is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Maple sugar coated doughnuts for sale in the Vermont Country Store.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Red squirrel hanging down by his toenails on my bird feeder, eating greedily.

    ReplyDelete
  42. 9 sand hill cranes eating

    ReplyDelete
  43. Finding a beat up penny that was still shining through on my lunchtime walk.

    ReplyDelete
  44. 224 HST's sitting on the ironing board waiting to be pressed. I made them yesterday afternoon using Bonnie's triangle tool which I finally learned to use and am in love with!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm on a summer break from my school job so just knowing I had the whole day off made me smile! The cats are grateful for a full day of catering staff as well!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Walking my dog in the cool morning before it gets hot and humid in central New York State.

    ReplyDelete
  47. My wagging good morning from my pup pushing into me for scratches and pups. I've started almost every day like that for 4 years, and it makes me smile even if I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the fall themed quilt! Sadly, Cardinals do mate for life. Have to feel sorry for the poor male Cardinal who is left alone now. Makes me wonder if she had a nest. Hope your contractors show up soon. It's so frustrating, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I found out my DGS is back in town from his deployment somewhere overseas! Dinner with him and DD tonight. I'm grinning, NOT just smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Morning walk with Buddy and Shadow before it gets too hot. Spending the rest of the day cutting to get ready to attend the Sand Castle class next Monday in Bedford. Gonna be a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Quails walking through our backyard. A whole family of them!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Drinking my coffee on the glider under a giant maple tree in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Yes Cardinals do mate for life. Best thing this morning my grad daughters smiles

    ReplyDelete
  54. Sunshine (of course, we average over 300 days with sunshine each year), and it gives me a lift every day. Hope those contractors show up and get the job done. I'm spending this week working on my Scrap User system and kitting up Leader and Ender blocks while listening to audio books or music.

    ReplyDelete
  55. You always make me smile, Bonnie. You are rather like a whirling dervish with all that you do, sew, teach, travel, and take the time to bog each day!

    ReplyDelete
  56. A great blue heron doing a flyover of my car on my way to town... always a good omen in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  57. My Bonnie Hunter jigsaw puzzle arrived today on my front porch!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Static cling silhouettes of birds for windows and doors so living birds won't fly into the glass. They really work!

    ReplyDelete
  59. It sounds intriguing .

    ReplyDelete
  60. My Bonnie Hunter carry bag arrived and the puzzle. The bag is so nice and sturdy, I ordered another one!❣️

    ReplyDelete
  61. Sad about the cardinal - we had a blue tit doing exactly the same - except it's partner wasn't dead. I went out and gave it a cuddle for the shock, then put it on a safe branch close by. They flew off together.
    Things that made me smile first thing - coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee, then watching the birds at the feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Our puppy had surgery yesterday to remove a fast-growing tumor from his foot. My first smile of the day was when I woke up to find him snuggled up next to me, sweet and happy. My next smile was remembering that the mass is almost certainly benign and our boy is going to be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  63. My silly cat asleep on my feet whilst I sew 😊
    Love your Halloween quilt really turned out beautifully
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  64. My first smile came to waking up to my girl cuddling next to me and waking me up with sweet kisses. My dog is not so little that she isn't noticed, but there's nothing quite like waking up to 100+lbs of dog next to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Waking up in my own bed, with a fresh cup of tea waiting on the bedside table. My hubby is such a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I opened a fresh tin of my favorite tea. Wow, it smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  67. being able to get up out of bed each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Fantastic family lunch & dinner with family from near and far in Traverse City! I am blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  69. one of my kitties came in our room and did a tiny "meow" just after I woke up! (or did she wake me up with a meow?)

    ReplyDelete
  70. my dog Ginger greeting me with a smile and a hug, yes she does give little leaning on the legs hugs.makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Watching the sky lighten as the morning dawned. Heading to my sewing room soon.

    ReplyDelete
  72. My husband's smile each day as I awaken.

    ReplyDelete
  73. The thunder and lightning here in Iowa finally stopped and it's cool out. I will enjoy it as long as possible, because the next 2 days are supposed to be scorchers.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I was the first one up this morning, so I enjoyed my coffee alone in the peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Hi Bonnie! I don’t know if you remember me but I’m the one who moved to Garden Valley. Looking forward to meeting your mom at some point. Woke up this morning to temperatures of 50° after visiting two weeks in the hot hot east made me smile and laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  76. needed 3 yds only had 1 then found 2 more in another box - huge smile!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Went out to find deer laying beside veggie garden. High 90s in central Texas so 'forced' to stay in AC and sew. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  78. You put her in the garbage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to do that with our animals that pass. We can't bury them...We have wells!

      Delete
  79. My beige kitty laying on his back, smiling up at me. Be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  80. Seeing my youngest grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  81. My grandson's delight splashing in the water while the temperature outside reached the high 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Photos of my granddaughters as babies always greet me as I make my way downstairs in the morning. I smile at them and then at the photo of my two sons, the daddies. Brings a smile every time!

    ReplyDelete
  83. I made a stop at the See's candy store today. I needed to pick up a box of mixed chocolates for my oldest Son's birthday. I also picked up a little pack of chocolates for my husband enjoyment. The lady that waited on me was such a cheerful and happy person. She made me smile and I felt so good. The clerks always give away a free chocolate. I got a piece of brown sugar cream chocolate covered of course. But then to top it all off she gave me two chocolate covered coffee crisps. I was happy as a clam when I left not because she gave me extra candy but because she was so happy and smiling. It is contagious to meet someone who is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  84. "Sweet oranges". The taste of Fall in the air sing me to finish last years also and Halloween quilt from years ago. Thanks for your blogs and your talent of quilt designs I am always learning.

    ReplyDelete
  85. My two "puppy girls" Chrissy and Darby, lying next to me when I woke up this morning;they are such sweet companions! I love your Halloween quilt, the fabrics are so vibrant! I'll be waiting for your book with that one in it!

    ReplyDelete
  86. We had a similar experience with a dove flying into our window and dying. The mate sat on our fence for three days waiting for the dead mate. It was so sad. Finally the mate stopped coming around, looking for the dead one. I had heard that doves did mate for life, after seeing this, I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  87. A beautiful sunrise. Too bad it was going to mean another scorcher here in the Midwest! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)