>>>>

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Show & Tell Tuesday!

GOOD FREAKING MORNING!!!

It’s a travel day for me! I’m catching a 6:15 am flight to Providence, Rhode Island! This week I’ll be meeting with the Ninigret Quilt Guild in Westerly, and then heading over to the Quilter’s by the Sea in Portsmouth!

Being as this is my first EVER trip to Rhode Island, we get an extra special treat….guess what is going on this week as well??

OH, can you guess? Can ya, huh, huh, huh!!! Okay -- you already read the sign, didn't YOU!?

mqx2012

I am going to MQX!!

Thursday is my day to move from Westerly to Portsmouth, and my wonderful volunteer driver suggested we just make a day of it and head to MQX since my guild meeting Thursday is an evening one. This gives us most of the day to PLAY!

Just. Color. Me. Pumped!!

Of course, you can count on lots of photos, that is if I can stop drooling long enough to take them ;c)

So anyway, since my flight is do dad-gum early, I’m writing this the night before so it’s ready to post and I don’t have to deal with it in the morning. It’s been a while since I did a show and tell, and let’s face, it, it has to be more interesting than the “Count the Jelly Beans” post --- so here we go!

These are in no order, just a random spattering of quilts that have been sent to me recently! I love seeing what you do ----

Nann H wrote to me about her “Grandpa’s Star” Flimsy! Oooooh, I’m loving this orange!

nannhGrandpas Star

She writes:

Hi, Bonnie --

You get so much e-mail and know so many bloggers that you may miss this....I finished piecing Grandpa's Star last evening. Thanks for another irresistible block!

Cheers, Nann

Thanks for sending it Nann! Oh, I love the design the skinny black sashings adds! So fun! Love this one! **Note** Grandpa’s Star was one of the “Addicted to Scraps” blocks in a recent Quiltmaker Magazine. You can find out more about those blocks HERE.

Jantine from the Netherlands has been busy too!

jantinedoubledelight1

Jantine’s Dubbel Heerlijk!

She writes:

Hi Bonnie,

Thought you might like to see the pics I enclosed…

Last week I finished my Double Delight and named it the same, but in Dutch, Dubbel heerlijk. The top was finished ages ago, but I finally got to the quilting part.

jantinedoubledelight2

It was a delight sewing this quilt and I think the backing is a delight too. It is a snuggles fabric from Moda and soooo very very soft. I usually make 2/3 of the mentioned amounts in your mysteries and I recall having to make a few more blocks for this big lap size quilt. Maybe I did just half amounts this time. It measures about 1.90 x 1.50 in meters which is about 75x60inch!

groeten, Jantine

I love seeing it here outside with that big bucket of pansies in the sunshine! How interesting, it looks GREAT, Jantine! The quilt picks up the color of the sky in the background too! **Note** Double Delight was a mystery we did a few years ago. The pattern is still available HERE.

Anita has been busy in Crumb-ville!

anitacrumbs1

Doesn’t this look Patriotic?!

She writes:

I'm a huge fan of you and Quiltville, of course, and recently went on a scrap binge....looked like a tornado hit the sewing room but after a lot of fun this quilt emerged, using your Cactus Patch setting from Scraps and Shirttails. I love how the scraps sort of told me what to do next...so much fun. Now, on to the quilting.

anitacrumbs2

This pic shows the last 2 rows…look how fun!

Love your books and all your patterns. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anita

So Many Crumbs! I love this. I have crumbs coming out of my ears, and I really need to do something more with them. If you want to try your hand at crumb piecing, check out the tutorial HERE!

Thanks for sharing the pics with me, Anita!

Next Up! Cheryl H!

Oh Cheryl is so fun to have around, I had her in my classes over New Years in Plano, TX! When she sent me these pics, I was so happy to see her smiling face in my email!

Hey Bonnie,

I hope you are enjoying the Virginia Beach area -- your tales make me a bit wistful because I lived in Virginia for 23 years. Now I am in Dallas where I attended two of your sessions in Plano on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at Fabric Fanatics. What a wonderful time that was!

Here are photos of the 3rd quilt I made, a Mad City Mama from Adventures With Leaders & Enders.

madcitymamatx

I completed it last year as a gift for my mother-in-law. After I started the quilt, my MIL sent me a box of scraps that had been in her garage since her own mother passed away in 1983. Her mother was a quilter, so of course, I included many of those scraps into this quilt. My MIL said this was the best gift anyone has ever given her. When she shows off the quilt to friends, she points out the bits that came from her mother's stash -- such a happy legacy.

I put this quilt together using the Cotton Theory method, and quilted it on my domestic machine.

I had do do “SNIP” to get her photos out of my email, for some reason they were imbedded in the text and I couldn’t save – but don’t you LOVE the sashings green one way, and white the other way? GREAT!! I get so much inspiration from you guys!

How about some AMAZING hand quilting work?

Carla hand quilted this very LARGE Double Irish Chain!

She writes:

Dear Bonnie,

I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for your website. I have always dreamed of making a large bed size scrappy quilt. Last year I discovered your site and it has inspired me to tackle the large Rubbermaid tote that I had thrown scraps into for years. I love your leaders and enders book, although I was so inspired I kept sewing and sewing and by fall I had created a king size quilt top. I started hand quilting it in November, and finished it last week. Thank you again for your inspiration!

Carla T

Here’s a close up of her hand quilting..this is not your usual “diagonal grid” She’s done some wonderful quilting in both the pieced block and the alternate block!

carlat2

The pieced block is quilted much like a drunkard’s path. AWESOME, CARLA!

Let’s show some MORE Handwork! How about hand piecing? I was so blown away by this top I have to share it with you!

kansastwister1

Kim writes:

I just had to write to you and tell you how much I love your website!!! A friend just told me about it and I think it is wonderful! I am addicted to scrap quilts that I make by hand or by machine. I can't wait to try some of your patterns! I also love the demos you have with them. Thanks for sharing your love of quilting.

I am attaching a couple photos of a quilt top I recently finished. It is a pattern called Kansas Twister. It is 85" x 105" and it consists of 675 ~12 pc units, each a different fabric for a total of 8100 pieces that I sewed together by hand! :)

Again, thanks for the renewed inspiration!

Kim H

Cambridge, MN

OVER 8,000 pieces…BY HAND!? Isn’t this wonderful? Here’s a close up:

DSC01531

How sweet is this?!?

I’ve got an antique quilt that is similar, but it has sashings around each little whirly gig..I like how these are right together in a bright and twirly whirly explosion! Thanks for sharing Kim! Anyone know if this is available for INKLINGO!? Oh, I can so see myself doing this one!

How about one more? Just for good measure?

bargello quilt top

This Scrappy Bargello top is made by Jan and her mom!

She writes:

Hi Bonnie!

I have loved your website and blog so much and I am always gleaning inspiration from it. I haven't ever shared any of the quilts and such that I have made that you inspired and I thought I would do that. I am not an expert or even a very precise quilter, but I love it and have been doing it for years.

My Mom and I have been making lap quilts for people at church who are grieving, sick, or who just need some encouragement. It is our way of doing good while whittling down our stashes. I have always been scared to make a bargello quilt, but I tried your Scrappy Bargello and absolutely love it! I have included a photo. I generally make the tops and my Mom ties and binds them. I don't know why, but she doesn't like machine quilting much.

Thanks for sharing with us! I appreciate your patterns and tips so very much!

Jan, you and your mom make a great team! Thank you so much for doing what you do for those who need just a bit of picking up. There is nothing like the gift of a quilt to lift spirits and provide warmth and comfort! Keep up the good work!

And that’s about all I have time to post --- I’ve gotta get the rest of everything gathered so I can head on out to Providence!

Yes --- and MORE HEXIES! I haven’t touched them for 6 whole days --- such a SLACKER, aren’t I?! :cD

Oh, and OH OH OH!! Did you catch yesterday's "What's On Your Bed?" Linky Party? Many more link-ups have come in -- some gorgeous quilts covering comfy beds! It's so fun to see what's in everyone's house....so go look! This will be open until Saturday I think -- so check back now and again!

Be good, Peeps – I’ll check in with ya later!

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these quilts...that crumb quilt just pulls on my heart strings!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Whirlygig one looks like it could be English paper pieced using half hexies and triangles! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though I've touched the hem of royalty by having my GS pictured here! (The dark sashes are a blend of dark green and purple with black.)

    When I was compulsively no-buy last year I got really good at looking over my stash and finding Just the Right fabric for the project at hand. (Of course making really scrappy quilts means that pretty much anything goes. ) Though my "diet" is not as restricted this year, I'm still shopping my stash first.

    Love those whirlygigs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kansas Twister tutorial http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2011/06/twister-block-tutorial.html

    I definitely would like to make this one, even though I'm originally from Oklahoma. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an Oklahoma Twister quilt pattern, too! http://thegoldenthimble.com/oktwist.pdf

      Delete
  5. oohhh, luscious eye candy to start my day, how good is that! safe travel and enjoy new england....it's a bit cooler here you know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:08 AM EDT

    MQX??? You lucky dog!!! Leslie and I didn't get to go this year and I am so going to miss the "peep show" of quilts. Have a wonderful time and enjoy all the splendor.
    Love all the quilts you have posted, lots of great talent out there.
    Safe journeys, my friend.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great show and tell! You are the LAST person that comes to mind when I hear the term 'SLACKER'! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debe Crippen9:19 AM EDT

    I don't think you have any idea the warm fuzzy I get when I read your blog. This morning...Providence,RI holds a very dear spot in my heart and it warmed me. Then you add the beautiful quilts people send and the only sad thing is when the column is over. So, thank you for your terrific blog. I needed it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:32 PM EDT

      Chicken Chimichangas!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:10 AM EDT

    The Kansas Twister is Inklingo-able. It's the other half hexagon shape in the hexagon shape collection 3. I love Monkey and Linda.

    Jeannette in CO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to go the show, but not sure if I will make it now, will see how it goes by the end of the week. We also have a local show on the 28th which is with the Narragansett bay quilters, so I will definitely make that one.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a fun time Bonnie and don't forget to say Hello to
    my good friend Debby Brown!

    Now do see why we all voted for you......look at all the quilters you inspire! thanks again for all the free patterns, mysteries, tutorials and countless other wonderful things you do for us quilters.

    Safe travels and Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:10 PM EDT

    It must be gratifying to see your patterns so loved!

    The whirlygigs (one of my favs) can be made from any of the Inklingo 60 degree hexagon collections, found here:
    http://lindafranz.com/shop/hexagon-quilt-templates/5
    Click the link to the collection to see the measurements of the hexies so you can choose a size you like.

    ~Jillian in North Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  13. MQX might be the answer to your "tax problems" ... look at it this way ... an updated/new machine might just be the tax write-off for your business this year that your DH is looking for ... I'd be taking the checkbook, girlfriend!!! LOL Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)