>>>>

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Some WV to NC Antiquing Fun!

20170717_105517
in a little corner of West Virginia, snuggled in between Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, lies the little sleepy town of Berkeley Springs.

As most places in New England and surrounding areas, its many claims to fame seem to echo those of others – “George Washington Slept Here!”

But this time, it’s true, documented, and celebrated!

A fountainhead of warm mineral waters frequented by Native Americans long before Europeans arrived in the New World, are at the heart of the mountain spa community of Berkeley Springs in West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle.
First noted as Medicine Springs in 1747 on a map drawn by Thomas Jefferson’s father, the waters for many centuries have drawn visitors seeking health and relief from the stress of everyday life. 
George Washington first visited in 1748 and made the area his favorite getaway through the 1760s.  In 1776, Washington’s family and friends drew up a plat of 134 lots, named the streets, and incorporated The Town of Bath, invoking the muses of the renowned English spa. Yet the magic of the springs prevailed, and the town and surrounding area are known around the world by their name — Berkeley Springs. 
The waters flow at a constant 74°F from the base of Warm Springs Ridge. You may still drink freely and fill your jugs at the public tap guaranteed by the Virginia law establishing the town in 1776.  You can wade in the ancient stone pools in one of the country’s smallest state parks. The town has endured cycles of notoriety, fashion, war and modern progress, but remains today the Country’s First Spa, a noted art town and  friendly haven surrounded by West Virginia’s splendid outdoors. [source]

I was stopping in Berkeley Springs for a reason!

I had an invite to lunch and a visit with an author friend, Carol Dean Jones (Whom I hosted a give-away for here on the blog upon the release of a recent quilty novel)  and her friend Joyce! if you haven’t checked out Carol Dean Jones’ novels, do a search for her on Amazon.  They are available both in hard copy and digitally for your Kindle and they are fabulous.

At any rate, we enjoyed a lovely lunch in one of Berkeley Springs’ many eateries and after we separated with Carol heading in the opposite direction, Joyce and I headed into the antique mall around the corner to see what was up.

20170717_123610

We were not disappointed!

I love red and white quilts…and red and white stars are even BETTER!

20170717_123623

Check out the quilting!

And I wasn’t trying to focus in on the price tag, but rather the binding. I want you to look at the binding closely if you can.  Click the photo to view it bigger. This is an exquisitely hand quilted beauty. The narrow red binding was basted in place by hand.  Large stitches are still there.  White thread. 

Once the binding was basted in place, the maker used her treadle machine to machine stitch the binding to the quilt.  In this early era of sewing machines, if you had one, you flaunted it. Stitching showed on the binding of MANY antique quilts from the time that machines first came to be.

20170717_130405

These little goodies are cabin-bound!

In the back of the van, wrapped in paper and in a box is the matching juice pitcher for this set.  I found the juice pitcher in Bedford ---and then I found the salt and pepper shakers in Berkeley Springs.  Does 3 matching pieces make it a collection??

20170717_105511

The steam boat was also invented in Berkeley Springs, WV!

I must say though that the odd item for this visit was a bit disturbing so I’m not going to share the whole thing.  There was a booth with a lot.  And I mean  A LOT of taxidermy.  I suppose from the scientific aspect it is valuable and educational, but this made me sad:

20170717_123522

Really??  What would you do with this?

It was huge.  We walked around this corner and there is this FEMUR.  I’ll stick to quilts, and vintage sewing machines, and fun glassware and stitcheries.

Further down the road in Virginia, I managed to spend some time finishing up the Factory Antique Mall there – remember I had only made it half way through on my way up to Mary’s?

20170717_160001

Little old dolly quilt.

This was odd.  If you think rag quilts or quilt-as-you-go is a newer invention, take a look at the back side of this piece, made generations previously:

20170717_160015

Quilt as you go? Rag quilt?

Late 1800s to Early 1900s!

There is nothing NEW under the sun.

I captured the rest of this trip in the slide show below, including close ups of quilts where warranted:



There were so many beautiful quilts, but it is the humble make-do ones that really touch my soul.

As for the weird thing here?

20170717_154654

Two seater, anyone??  LOL!

Yesterday was a crazy day of catch up and keep running including an afternoon eye doc appointment.  Imagine my dismay when I was trying to leave and this happened:


A post shared by Bonnie K Hunter (@Quiltville_bonnie) on

It was hairy getting home. The on ramp to the interstate was closed and all of the backroads were crammed and clogged as well.  OH MY WORD.

There’s also been some quilting going on here….



And this explains why this morning's post is a bit late!  I’ll have more on this quilt to show you during tonight’s Quilt-Cam happening on Facebook Live at 8pm Eastern.

If you miss it, it will be embedded in tomorrow morning’s blog post and then archived under the Quilt-Cam tab at the top of the blog from there. 

Bring a project, it’s been a MONTH!!  I’ll see you there.

7_19_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage Pine Burr variation found in North Carolina.

Or in the infamous words of Marilyn Monroe - "Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together."

Oh, and did you enter to win in yesterday's Quiltmaker Bundle Gift-Away??  My string pieced pumpkin quilt, Punkin' Patch is in this issue!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

9 comments:

  1. Seriously, what would you do with a two-seater? Use it as a planter? You gave me a giggle.

    sao in Midlothian, VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine wanting a 2 seater for a collectible LOL - but i do remember back in the 60's there was a county park that we went to in Wisconsin that had a 4 seater and it went from tiny hole for a toddle to a big big hole for a big person LOL. Love your salt and pepper shaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol on the 2 seater. I don't do outhouses. Found some enroute to Sister's last weekend. Ewww, just ewww. Makes you grateful for flush toilets. Yea, for a lunch date and someone to stoll through the Antiques with you. Nice S&P for the cabin. Quilt on! We will always wait for the am post

    ReplyDelete
  4. My paternal grandfather had a two seater in the outside bathroom at the bottom of the garden. There was no inside bathroom at the property! My aunt kept it spotless and clean and it was scrubbed every morning before everyone got up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember using my great-grandmother's 2 seater outhouse. I was always so scared I'd fall in. It was stinky, darkish & scary for a little kid. She eventually got an indoor toilet, and I was just so happy. Never would I buy one for memories! Also, just wanted to tell you that the music for today's slide show was just beautiful. It was very welcome today on this beastly hot & hectic day. So thank you. For the blog, pictures & music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words about my home state of WV. We have a beautiful state and lots of quilters. I remember a two seater on a hill behind my aunts house when I was a child.
    Scary! CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Listen to me....I get tired just reading about all the adventures you enjoy. Love Berkley Springs, been through there many times on my way to Virginia to visit family, only been able to stay over twice but plan to return in our Motorhome, hopefully this Fall. Such charm and history. Everyone we have ever met has been very kind and welcoming. Sharing the antique quilts is bitter sweet for me. I see the beauty and all the hard work that those before us have done most likely never expecting a future generation to admire and respect their work. Thank you, love to read your adventures and the setting up of the new cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny. I remember those toilet seats from when I was a kid.... The dunny can man

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Berkeley Springs! It's such a quaint little town. We drive through on our way to visit family on a fairly regular basis. One of these days, I'm actually going to stop!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)