>>>>

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

And Sew….I Go!

20161231_165159
All the stars are twinkling!

This was my last piecing event of 2016, and what a way to ring in the New Year!

I’m shooting up some photos here while I wait for my flight to board in Greensboro.  Phoenix awaits!  And it’s a good thing, because it was hosing rain here all night long, and I barely slept at all – tossing and turning hoping the rain didn’t turn to sleet, keeping me from reaching my destination.

When my mind is busy like that – I often start thinking of different quilt options I can try with whatever blocks are in progress to keep my mind from worrying about things I have no control over.  It’s much more productive to imagine these blocks in different layouts.  The quilter’s version of counting sheep, if you will!

The only problem with that is that I might find myself giving up on sleep completely and hopping out of bed to steal myself down to the basement, tiptoeing as I go….to sew something!


20170101_124858

Laid out and ready to assemble!

These are my Dawn’s Early Light components, and I’m eager to see this one reach its full quilt potential but time was running out as the ball was dropping on New Year’s Eve.

20170101_141238

And something has gone just a bit awry here!

Seam ripper time!

20170101_141832

Nice try, but not quite!

20170101_142752

Two left over??

Or 4 stars and 4 string blocks short??

A bit more scrambling for missing parts and making just a few more of this and that and now all of the blocks are complete!  If you are interested in the directions for this block, you’ll find the pattern in Vol 13 of 100 blocks by 100 designers by Quiltmaker Magazine – linked above!

String quilts just make my heart so happy!

15826901_10154905063263909_3603892090561701584_n

This is was my afternoon and evening!

i headed to bed at 9:30pm last night –The post office was closed yesterday, so The Hubster and son Jeff are dropping these at the post office for me this morning.  We will resume when I return home on the 13th!

During my holiday time off we did a lot of planning and forecasting of how to best move forward with the calendar situation.  When I closed my calendar a few years back I was booked solid 5 years in advance with no wiggle room.  Everyone was telling me to slow down, yet it wasn’t “their” guild they wanted me to say no to!  HA!  Isn’t it funny how that goes?

I need to work smarter not harder, so this is the plan:  I have opened my Calendar of Events for booking into 2019 for large venues only as in quilt shows, festivals, retreats where I can accommodate up to 50 per class.  I want to spend my time reaching more people.  Festivals and shows don’t book more than 2 years in advance, so I as unable to accept those offers because I was already contracted elsewhere.

Once these are in place for 2019 I will open up the calendar in January of 2018 to book guilds in the remaining slots for the 2019 calendar year.  I’ll piggy back folks where we can to save on travel expenses, and as I said – work smarter not harder.

I am not booking shops at this time because they don’t have room to accommodate the student load.

And yes, thinking of all of this is what kept me from sleeping as well.  But I think this will work.

2_3_2017

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Photo shared by Kevin H @Photokevin74

In my case, what was going around was a common head cold, and it came around to land on me! I do believe in this statement, or as the saying goes "As you see, so shall you reap!" Keep the good vibes going so the good vibes keep coming back.

I am teaching for two guilds in Arizona: The Nimble Thimbles of Chandler, and the Thumb Butte Quilters of Prescott.  In between and on either end of these two venues I have time with family and friends, and it’s going to be a wonderful way to ease on in to 2017.

It’s nearly time to board – time to hit send and post this thing!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!


Follow me on Instagram!

Follow my Quiltville Page on Facebook for more fun!

Join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

23 comments:

  1. I am glad that we are on your CALENDAR for 2017! May can't come too soon!
    Best vibes sending for a safe Flight and feeling better. That thing going around has been brutal for my sewing time. Glad the Mystery has been revealed so I can just sew at my own pace without a deadline for a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean that we can book you to come to Australia this time in the near future?
    We were so looking forward to it last year!

    Annemarie Smithers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip Bonnie!!! Prayers for the head cold to go away soon!🙏🙏🙏🌻😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have an awesome trip, Bonnie. What a great way to start 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those little string and star blocks. I will be looking for the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I owned our own business for 37 years. Life was 24/7 on the run. He got sick when we retired 8 years ago and have never had the time to enjoy retirement. I'm glad to hear you're slowing down and I hope you enjoy your family more. I love your quilts and scrapping and this little patriotic is going on my short bucket list. Happy New Year. Carol K in PA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know those decisions were hard to make, but I'm sure you will be happier now that you have made them. Life and time become more precious as time goes on and the way we age often comes as a surprise and an inconvenient interruption. Good for you for taking it all by the horns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a plan in place for the future. It is good to allow some space in your schedule. Though, much of your down time between trips seems to be filled with filling orders this year. At least it is time that is spent with family some of the time. Working with family does count for something. I could never imagine life scheduled this full, but then again I avoid travel, because of motion sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what organization! I'm happy just to know what I want to do today! I humbly salute you. 👌

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this block before. It is gorgeous, and what an amazing quilt it will be! Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear of your new plan. I LOVE hearing about your adventures but have worried that you are working too hard! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely looking forward to meeting you in May in Washington State! Safe travels, get well and stay well! I am so thankful that I found you last year. You have started me on a new path for quilting and I love it! Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like quite a good plan; we also know how much work you put in during your time at home! I am so thankful you are so inspired that new patterns and color schemes are constantly bubbling up in your mind, and then you include us along on your quilting/designing journey. Wishing you a blessed 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for thinking about yourself for a change.
    i agree, the bigger venues will give everyone more bang for their buck, and are certainly a more practical use of your time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do the same thing! I think about quilt blocks instead of worrying. Works wonders! Your calendar plan sounds great, perhaps sometime you'll be in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really chuckling about Janice's En Provence quilt top finish. I completely sympathize. I did the same thing with my Celtic Solstice....noticed two blocks that were turned wrong....ripped them out and sewed them back in another wrong way........It seems so correct until you get to the machine and then everything is upside down or backwards. I had to put it away for a week and then go back to straighten it out. Only I was not finished as quickly as Janice. Great job, girlfriend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Dawn's Early Light is going on NO bucket list, it is getting started right after I write to you. I just love this block and thankfully I have the Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Volume 13 in my hands with plenty of fabric in my sewing room. The other nice thing is that I now have an Accu-quilt Go-Baby with the right size of HST and am raring to go. I love your energy Bonnie and am going to sew along with you. Have a wonderful trip to Arizona and a very Blessed 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel so fortunate to have attended your class in Alabama a couple of years ago. It was a fluke that I got in at the last minute as I was driving in from Florida. But it was a joy to have that opportunity! I'm enjoying the process of you slowing down! You have made it, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please, please come to West Virginia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for all you do and share! God bless you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for all you do and share! God bless you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. String quilts is something that I have never tried I love your quilt you are great at matching colors. I really hope that you had a great holiday and working smarter not harder is a good plan. When I tend to get to many things going I get sick too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the tiny red and white friendship stars!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)