>>>>

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Smith Mountain Morning at VCQ!

It felt really weird writing this title – Smith Mountain Lake is the place that gave Smith Mountain Morning it’s name over 2 years ago ---and it’s nice to be able to teach this quilt at the place where the top first came together while sewing in my room the last time I taught here!

You would think the ladies ((and one gentleman!)) might be moving a bit slower after all the crazy quilt-charged hours we’ve had since everyone arrived on Thursday --- but NO! There were no tails dragging, no eyes drooping – everyone was gung-ho to go!

I’ve shown photos of this class before. I don’t want to bore anyone with details ---sometimes I feel like a complete broken record, but I love love love when people start playing with their fabrics, show and share what they’ve brought – tell stories about the history of that piece of fabric and why they’ve chosen to finally sew it up into something --- see the sharing and swapping going on—it’s just wonderful to behold!

Several of these ladies I’ve had classes with before ---one of the Judys confessed to this being her 4th class with me ---and I was really humbled! She must be having a good time, or she wouldn’t be coming back and subjecting herself to such scrappy chaos, right? RIGHT?!

The neatest thing they do the first night here is have a show and tell of all the completed quilts that were started in classes at the PREVIOUS VCQ Celebration –2 years ago. I was so happy to see so many Boxy Stars and Pineapple Blossoms being shown ----and it hit me….we really HAVE stepped it up this year, because those two quilts were fairly simple and although fun, very BASIC ---

While the two quilts I taught this weekend…I can see that we really have stepped things up in intensity ---and they are still hanging in there!

So without further ado --- here are the pics from yesterday’s Smith Mountain Morning Workshop:

This morning is Show and Tell, and then we pack it all up and head home.

The time went SO SO SO Fast! I’ve met quilting instructors I’ve always admired, I reconnected with friends I haven’t seen in a couple of years.

I took long early morning walks, ate great food, took in the beauty of the surrounding area ---I feel rejuvenated and renewed!

And I would love to do it again if they’ll have me!

The car is packed --- when today’s closing gathering is through I”ll be on the road headed back towards home and family -----

It’s been a good weekend indeed!

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 AM EDT

    Don't ever think we're getting bored. I love your slide shows. Very pretty, good job and all of that.
    Safe trip home.
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 AM EDT

    Smith Mountain is so beautiful. I'm looking forward to the next VCU.
    gauen at MBC dot edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:21 AM EDT

    I can't open the slideshow because I am getting a window to sign up for Skydrive. Is this a new app for the slideshow?

    Karen
    Corona, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:48 AM EDT

    I can't open the slideshow, either.

    Judy, WY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:54 AM EDT

    Looks like a Windows app download is needed to view the slideshow . . . never needed this before. But I am glad to read that I am not the only one that can't view it. Sorry for the redundancy of this message. Cheryl, NE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:02 AM EDT

    Am so sorry I didn't sign up for this Celebration!! It is always such a fun weekend and you are such a fun teacher. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:04 AM EDT

    You are never boring. I love your cheery attitude and amusing stories on a daily basis. And your quilts are amazing. A wonderful start to my day . . . a cup of coffee, a Bonnie Hunter blog and a quilt sitting at the ready by my machine, ready to go as soon as I finish reading blogs. Enjoy your day, and safe travels. aschaefer24 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't open the slideshow either, but the thumbnail pics look terrific!! sigh One more reason to pout that I didn't attend VCQ Celebration!! I hope to be there next time though

    Lori in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad, I can't view it either. I love looking at all the pics. Can I have a hissy fit now?

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something is messed up with the slideshow; even signed up for Windows SkyDrive....now it tells me I don't have your permission to view the slide show....uh......don't you just love computer improvements.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah...can't see the slide show, either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where can we find the pattern for Smith Mountain Morning? I'd love to use this pattern to bust through my stash. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue in Scottsdale, AZ1:13 PM EDT

    I'm with the majority - I can't open the slideshow. I'm using a Mac. I downloaded a program (I think it is Microsoft Silverlight) you told us about many months ago and since then I have never had a problem until today. I love Smith Mountain Morning. The thumbnails look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to make this quilt. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't open pics here either. I don't really like being forced to sign up for something I didn't want, so I'll wait and see what the deal is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't open it either. Signed up for Window's live like it said to do, then I was told that the show was no longer available or deleted! Bummer. Had to settle for the thumbnails.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Windows live is wxperiencIng issues. I have no control over it. I'm aware of the situation and hope they can fix it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The slide show is now operating and I think it's very impressive! The gentleman quilter with his block is adorable. Nice work, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful slide show and beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie: Thank you for your Quips & Snips. I especially enjoy your antiquing and your Kindle freebies. A question: In which book is your Smith Mountain Morning quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a great group of folks making beautiful blocks. I love looking at the slideshow! I saw some of my old fabrics in the blocks. Fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. FINALLY! I was able to watch your slideshow this morning. It still wouldn't work yesterday, but I am used to that - our internet access is ANTIQUE in the boonies!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)