>>>>

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Narragansett Afternoon!

Yesterday after our Basket-Weave Strings workshop in Westerly, I was hijacked by Tina and headed first to Wakefield for MORE Rhode Island Retail Enrichment!

Our first stop? Folk Art Quilts!

The building is really fun --- it used to be a large department store “back in the day” and now the inside is divided up into individual shops…….and I felt right at home in Folk Art Quilts – because they have as much fabric available in a cozy spot as you can possibly fit! And the variety is really great – everything from civil war type repros to batiks to modern lovelies such as Kaffe!

The owner was just delightful and we had a good visit.

RhodeIsland2012 071

That pile right there—yep! “Honey, remember those business deductions you told me I needed more of? I’m taking care of it!” LOL!

RhodeIsland2012 074

Me and Mary, the owner! I think she is a bit numb at my purchases….hehe

Oh Yeah, don’t I look happy?? OOOOOOOHhhh Fabric!

RhodeIsland2012 075

I experienced some other Rhode Island firsts --- I have now officially had a DEL’s! It’s a lemon slush, and oh, is it delicious! We were joined by Tina’s daughter Julia, and off we headed for the sea wall to take an afternoon walk!

RhodeIsland2012 077

The few rain drops that fell were gone by the time we parked the car, and it was a great afternoon for stretching our legs and getting some fresh air. It’s a bit chilly down by the water, so I was glad to have that sweater! Here the tide is out…do you see that building in the background with the “drive through” beneath it? The one that looks like a castle? That’s called “The Tower”. We walked that direction! ((Don’t we look like Mutt & Jeff?))

RhodeIsland2012 079

The tide was out – of course….but we found a spot to take a pic with “The Tower” in the backdrop…

RhodeIsland2012 084

Closer still….it was farther away than it looked! Isn’t this cool?

RhodeIsland2012 093

Even a stroller full of doggies are out enjoying the sights and the beautiful spring afternoon! ((This cracks me up when people push dogs in a stroller!))

RhodeIsland2012 091

Big blue ocean, rocky shore..and our shadows --- can you see mine? :cD

RhodeIsland2012 083

Yep, the tide is WAAAAAAAY low! looks like the birds are waiting for it to come in again –and though it looks stormy, not a drop fell while we were walking --- good thing! I didn’t have an umbrella!

RhodeIsland2012 096-

Of course a long beach walk means we were soon to be hungry! And of course when in Rhode Island, one must NOT miss a stop at Iggy’s where I indulged myself in much fried golden brown goodness --- Doughboys! Clam Cakes! A yummy bowl of clam chowder ((Which was creamy white and thick enough to stand a spoon in it ---)) and a shared basket of onion rings ---

I have a feeling I’m going to need lots more walks to work OFF all this goodness!

Thanks Tina, for suggesting this outting in between the workshop and the evening meeting – it’s been so great to spend this time with you in person!

10 comments:

  1. Even though I was born in Newport, RI visiting Wakefield in the summer to walk along the shore and to the tower, then for snacks was always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:24 PM EDT

    Ooooo, loved the new "tax deductions"!! The pics are fab. So glad you got a chance to take a hike and explore. We always love it when you show us the sites. Have fun.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful scenery - I haven't been to Rhode Island in about 33 years!! wow I didn't realize it had been that long - we lived next door in CT for a short while. Looks like fun and love the purchases!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue in Scottsdale, AZ3:49 PM EDT

    Oh Bonnie, you are making me so homesick. Del's Lemonade is the best. I grew up with this but back then you could only get it in the summer (it was founded in Cranston - my hometown!). I remember always stopping to get Del's either on the way to the beach or on the way home. Oh yeah, also on a weekend evening. The memories are flowing back! I was going to suggest you go to George's in Point Judith to get the best clam cakes around, but they used to only be open during the summer - I don't even know if they are still around. New England clam chowder is the best. The Tower area is where I spent many hours during the summer, especially on weekends when I didn't have to work. I haven't been "home" in probably 15 years. Maybe it is time I take a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. for those who need to know, RI clamcakes are usually clam puffs; in maine we have flat clamcakes but in RI are like doughnut holes (not sweet) with clams...either way good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my favorite store and Mary is wonderful. I just stocked up on some civil war during their 30% off sale, you missed that one;) We are the smallest state, but packed with a lot of beautiful areas and great seafood.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's some great stash enhancing you've got there!!!! And I agree, the owner looks a bit dazed......... AND I love that quilt behind you guys! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great day of quilting. I loved meeting you finally after being your on-line stalker for so long. You are so inspiring and kind.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is that goofy look on my face? I guess I was excited about Iggy's! I hope you picked up some more goodies this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you imagine me standing next to her! haha

    Love the quilt behind you and Mary. Looks like a good string quilt. Have fun. Love the water pictures.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)