>>>>

Sunday, April 08, 2012

Happy Easter, Happy Passover!

And for all of us --- Happy SPRING!! Unless, you are down under in Australia and it’s getting into cold season --- Well….here, have some chocolate!

This little egg funny cracked me up!

It’s been many years now since we have dyed eggs – but I have fond memories of sitting around the kitchen table, its surface thickly layered with newspaper---watching those fizzy tablets dissolve in water, and the smell of vinegar in the dye cups.

Come to think of it, I can’t remember if the vinegar memory is from MY growing up, or from my kid’s growing up – but it’s there. Vinegar is a very Easter smell to me – even when I use it in cleaning, I think of dying Easter eggs!

This year we are just three of us….and I’m liking the easy relaxation of it. We slept in a bit. We have plans for an easy meal, and may even go take in a movie this afternoon. We love doing that, sneaking away for a matinee on major holidays. It makes it fun. Today I’d like to see “Mirror, Mirror” with Julia Roberts, but we’ll see if that materializes or not.

Yesterday, a package arrived that I’d been waiting for since before leaving for Quad Cities ---

vintage machines 028

Every machine I have has a different base size. It’s been a huge hassle tossing out $70+ shipping & handling every time I needed a table for a specific brand/model of machine.

I came across these through a student who had one. I looked up SewAdjusTable by sewingmates.com and found what I wanted. I ordered the 18” X 24” table that can be adjusted to fit EVERY MACHINE I OWN.

It’s completely smooth on top, all the hardware is recessed and fully adjustable. The old vintage machines really don’t need to be in their box-bases --- they’ve got legs on the bottom under their platform bed, and this actually set my machine lower to the table top.

vintage machines 030

I put a protective rubber shelf-liner type mat under Barbie to keep her legs from scratching the desktop more than it already is ---this also helps her to NOT SKID while stitching – I sew like a maniac, and anything not held in place does a little vibrating dance ;c)

I’m working on the borders for Florabunda here…yes, I made sure I sub-cut them the right width this time! Still don’t know what I’m going to do with THESE!

vintage machines 031

I’m a happy quilter! The price was more than one “regular” extension table that would fit ONE machine and one machine only --- but less than the price of two separate tables for two machines, so it’s a win for me. What’s even nicer is --- if I break the table, I don’t have to replace the whole thing, just the one removable section that broke.

The question is now --- what to do with all these extra and a sundry tables that are hogging space in my closet?! I’ll probably use them as travel tables if I am using a machine that fits them, but this one ---it has a permanent place on my desk top and will fit any machine I put in it.

I also hope to get more machine time today ---I can’t believe the number of 2” floral strips I was able to clear out thanks to this border. ((And the border mishap with the sub-cutting! Ooops!)) I’d like to get these borders ON the Florabunda quilt and call it done before spring is over ----I’m ready to move on to other things, but this one’s been hanging over my head.

However you spend your Easter/Passover/Weekend time --- enjoy it! I hope you find some time to fondle some fabric, dream, and maybe stitch a bit!

21 comments:

  1. What a great find!!! And your Florabunda is lookin' good! Happy Easter Bonnie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter...great fabric to work with this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter Bonnie! Enjoy your sewing time today. I'm hoping to get some myself, but it won't be til after the family clears out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter!
    I have one of those Greer tables, too. I would highly recommend this company to anyone! Great customer service! When I ordered mine, they sent me a table for what they "thought" the back of my machine looked like. However, the cutout was in the wrong place on the back piece and it didn't fit. I called and talked to Becky, I believe. She asked me to send a picture of the back of my machine and take some measurements. She then sent me a new back piece and told me to keep the original one, too. Who knows? It might fit one of my machines in the future!

    I sew on a plastic banquet-type table so I put one of those non-skid things under all of my machines to keep them from moving around on the plastic table. I've tried them under the foot control to keep it from sliding on the hard wood floor, but it doesn't work on that...it's too slippery even for that stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:08 PM EDT

      I use that cushy double stick tape that can be removed to hold my foot petal in place. Works well for me!

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful Easter, Bonnie! I wish you the best :-) Enjoy some quiet family time, your movie, and some stitching....You egg picture totally cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link to the tables!! I'm going to order one. I have a few machines and would love to have one table for all. I rally get tired of not having a table for each but am to cheap to purchase and store several tables. Now that my room is tidy I have some room for such things.!! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:51 AM EDT

    The table link is GREAT - thank you! Love that it is American made! Enjoy your day!

    Laurie
    schoolrn1@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter, Bonnie! Your new extension table is da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter, Bonnie. Do a review of that movie, will ya? I'm on the fence. Hey, while your at it, send those extra too small Florabunda border pieces to me!!! I'll take em just to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter Bonnie!

    Have a blessed day and good luck
    getting that top done......somehow I know you will
    persevere!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Easter to Bonnie and everyone!
    I love reading about your interesting in vintage sewing machines, and have a couple of them myself. I was looking on etsy.com today and was amazed at the number of them for sale there. Have you ever bought one by mail order? Or would you recommend it? The prices are sometimes really great, but I suppose you never know what you might get.
    Your Floribunda top border is very interesting! Can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm celebrating Easter by taking an easy day off. Just hanging around and stitching something new. Go see it here. comfortquilts.blogspot.com of course its from Bonnies book. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Passover, and why did I not think of the bake tray to keep my pieces in order. Thank you Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, I also used that waffle rubber under my 6600 Janome, a heavy machine as you know, and it rubbed the finish off my new dining room table! Left waffle marks where it sat! I solved the problem by using a table cloth topped with a clear plastic table cloth, (by the yard at Walmart) then I put down the waffle rubber and nothing slipped. Bonus, my table was protected from the rest of my sewing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you had a great weekend!!!!!!
    Your pink Barbie looks just like my pink Revere that my Dad bought for me at a railroad salvage auction in 1959. It still sews like a dream, life time warranty on the motor and they replaced in in the mid 60's. No telling where that company is now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carole in Halethorpe8:55 AM EDT

    I bought the sewing table from sewingmates.com also. It is wonderful. The only table you will ever need since it is so adjustable. It is from a Mom and Pop company, just love helping the USA based companies stay in business.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6:34 PM EDT

    I am so thrilled to see that your are working on a border for the Florabunda Quilt--I just finished the 36th block with 12 to go--hopefully you will let us see your border!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:40 PM EDT

    My sons bought me that sewing table from Sewingmates last year and I love it.

    Yes it is a mom and pop place. They had a handwritten thank you note in the package it came in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the link to the table. I need one but haven't done it yet.
    I like the Florabunda quilt you're working on. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)