This is where we need all the powers that be --- all the QG’s out there ((Quilty Goddesses, don’tcha know!?)) pulling together for some good vibes that this freaking storm move back OUT to sea! Or downgrades. Or Sumpthin’.
Do you see this picture to the left? I want to introduce you to Hurricane Irene! Though, you’ve probably already become familiar with her if you watch the weather channel, or your local news.
Lori pinged me yesterday morning. I’d been like an ostrich with my head in the sand-I was busy doing other things, and I really am not a TV watcher unless it is in the evening and I have hand work to do. Because we had been traveling over the weekend to visit the boys, and we didn’t watch TV or listen to the news at ALL over the weekend, I was completely clueless!
HURRICANE?! Oh NO! Our Caribbean Cruise with Sew Many Places ((My first ever time to be a teacher on a Quilting Crusie! Whoot!)) sets sail this Saturday from Port Canaveral, Florida!
This was the first I heard of it:
And No, we are not letting Lori’s hurt shoulder stop us either! But she better watch how heavy she packs her suitcase – Just sayin’! :cD
As I checked things this morning, this is where we stand:
- After departing the Northwest Bahamas early Friday Irene should parallel the Florida coast later Friday and approach the coast of the Carolinas later Saturday or Saturday night.
- Even though Irene is expected to miss Florida to the east, it is a larger-than-average hurricane, so the Sunshine State will still have some impacts.
- Heavy rain and strong winds are likely in eastern portions of Florida beginning late Wednesday night in southeast areas and spreading northward through Friday.
- Dangerous surf and rip currents are likely along the east coast of Florida beginning later Wednesday and lasting into the weekend. These coastal threats will expand northward along the Eastern Seaboard during the weekend and early next week.
- Irene could threaten the eastern portions of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast with damaging winds and flooding rains Sunday through early next week.
Of course, with hurricanes, nothing is certain. Things can change at any moment. It’s supposed to hit the Bahamas pretty hard, and that is where our first port of call is! Should be interesting to say the least, and in the mean time we hope for the best~
You know, after posting about my Great Auntie Irene HERE I am smiling to myself. They could have named this hurricane right after her, Always dancing in the kitchen, or the living room….and always making a stir!
Better start packing! I haven’t even begun yet, and my journey starts THURSDAY. I'm stopping in Columbia again, taking Jeff to dinner, and then staying with Jason and Kim. I'm leaving early Friday morning to drive down through SC, and GA, and finally down to Orlando where I am picking up Miss Lori at the airport, and escorting her in SHAMU the mini van ((We need it for all this LUGGAGE!!)) and away we go!