>>>>

Monday, July 29, 2024

Getting Our Hike On!


Six of us grabbed the opportunity to throw on our sneakers and step away from the sewing machines for just a while - just a couple of hours.

We needed NATURE.  We needed to embrace the silence of the mountains interrupted by only the calls of chirps or birdsong.

We needed to be part of all of this - to feed our souls, to breathe clean air deep into our lungs, to exhale our life-stresses and breathe in peace.

We'd get back to the machines eventually, but yesterday morning was about proving to ourselves that if our muscles burned and our breathing was a bit huffing and puffing that it was just what we needed.


We were greeted down below by a foggy morning...but up here - we were above the fog with just the remnants of a slight haze on the mountain ridges around us.


Not only did we encounter ponies -

There were longhorn cattle!

I spotted this little calf exploring what his own bouncy legs could do- He was all full of himself.


The longhorns roam and graze up here just as the ponies do.  They are fenced in and belong to "someone"


And yes there were ponies - only three.

Click to Play:




Can't be bothered to even look up at us.


Oh, people?  Who cares!


Smile and say "Cheese!"


As for you - enjoy that Sunday nap, my friend!


Follow the trail this way.


And down this way -


And don't forget to notice the flowers -


They are NOT all the same.

Look at this one closely -

And then this one:


Isn't nature marvelous?


Me and my troopers!

We got some passers-by to take our group photo.


Back at the inn by lunch time - 

There was plenty of day left to get back into the making.

Punkin Patch from String Frenzy is getting its final borders!


Chilhowie blocks in progress!


Sister's Choice blocks from the Free Patterns tab are coming together!


Elizabeth Hartman creatures - so cute!


Pineapple Blocks are increasing!


Morning Glories! So beautiful!


I spy some Sandcastles from String Frenzy that just happen to coordinate with the fire extinguisher. LOL!


A whole farmyard of fun is happening here!


Fab Farm is another by Elizabeth Hartman.


Laser cut raw edge appliqué in batiks.  Beautiful!

This also happened!

Click to Play:


We are BASTED and ready to quilt!


I chose the cloud design that came pre-installed on my Inetellequilter system because the stitching going is many directions which I believe helps prevent shift of the layers as compared to straight line quilting which can push.


The backing fabric is a light grey shirting with a pinstripe in it - there was enough for the whole backing and it is perfect.  You can see the cloud pattern plainly here.


Let the Baptist Fan quilting begin!

I'm quilting with a light grey thread by YLI. I am doing these free-hand - no marking. Just going by eyeball - which means there WILL be variations in the fans.  

I believe this adds to the overall charm of the quilt. Lack of perfection does not detract from beauty! Get that in your heads. (Love you guys, but perfectionism is soul crushing.)

Here's to the next few months of something comfy in my lap to hand quilt on in the evenings.

Today is the last day for the July Quiltvillians.  It's pouring out. I'm sure they will be happily inside sewing up their own storm.

It was a great weekend, and I'm not really ready to let it go yet!

How about you?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

How I really feel about getting back to work on a Monday!

Have a great week, everyone!



 

13 comments:

  1. Wow, the quilts being made are just beautiful ❤️. All of them. Loving the Punkin' Patch. It's on my to do list.
    Dismal rainy day here too. Husband took Kitty to the vet for his yearly shots. He's an indoor kitty.
    I managed to fini quilting the Bear paw runner yesterday afternoon. I'll try to get to the binding today.
    Have a great day and lots of sewing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we worry about perfection way to much. Yes, it is soul crushing. Great choice of words. Love the imperfection. Makes each quile unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see the wild ponies roaming free, you've got a piece of heaven right there in your own backyard Bonnie! Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth Holcombe10:48 AM EDT

    The beautiful white lacy flowers you posted are called Queen Anne's Lace. As the story goes, she pricked her finger with a needle and got a drop of blood on her work. (We all know about that!) Look carefully in the center; it's there on every one. You captured it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh for your clear skies. So much smoke here in central Idaho-can barely see Brundage across Payette Lake (since you know where). Happy blue sky hiking. I'm headed out shortly despite the smoke. I am Blessed to not have any lung issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Bonnie for that machine basting advice. I do not have a long arm but a sit down mid arm and I can easily do that cloud pattern on it. I have been hand basting up until now but I am keen to give this a try. Thank you for all the great tips and advice. I enjoy your blog and adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Perfectionism is soul crushing" this is my mantra. I try to be careful but I am definitely not a perfectionist. I have a couple of friends who are and they agonize over every seam, every color, every stitch, and don't seem to enjoy what they are doing. I love quilting and enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen about hating Mondays! I didn’t want to get out of bed. Just getting back into the weekly chores puts me in a bad mood. Maybe some quilting this afternoon will help. Hoping to get the 2 borders on my version of Tumelo
    Trail today. Then, it will go in the queue for quilting. Still don’t have a means of doing that…Bernina is still in the shop and my parts for my longarm are being held hostage by the fires in California. The pile is getting out of control!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quote! HAHA! :)
    This is my last week of summer vacation. But, this year we are doing a hybrid calendar, which means I will only hate every other Monday starting in September... LOL!! I think we are trying this way to see how well people will react to it. What's not to love about 2 long weekends a month?!
    Anyway... it sounds like you had a perfect day yesterday! The ponies were my favorite part of the post... & then the quilts came! One day I will get around to the pumkin one, & the sand castles too! The Pineapple one is gorgeous. I am working on my own CHilhowie blocks... that one is a beautiful combo! Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:01 PM EDT

    I agree that perfectionism is soul crushing. I don't understand my friends who seem to feel obligated to point out their "mistakes". We should embrace our "variations" and have more fun making quilts. PS Every day is great day when you're retired!! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Bonnie! When you hand quilt Baptist fans, how do you travel with the thread, or do you break it at the end of each arc?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:47 PM EDT

    My mother would cut Queen Anne's Lace from fields and use within her flower arangements. They are also called wild carrots, but are a bit bitter than garden carrots from what I remember...bet the horses love them. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy Repnow9:19 PM EDT

    That quote is as good as the t-shirt I saw that said “Sorry I’m late— I didn’t want to come”!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)