>>>>

Thursday, July 25, 2024

A Break In The Rain -


I had a quick break in between rain showers yesterday morning to do something I've been wanting to do since I took those last hand stitches into the binding of mom's hexie quilt.

It deserved its own over-the-porch-rail photo op!

It was also the only place I could photograph it -really.  At 110'' X 117'' it barely fit between the columns in the turret section of the porch.

And I needed to hurry - as you can see by just looking at that "I just dare you!" sky!


This is one of the reasons I put a hanging sleeve on anything and everything that may have an opportunity to hang anywhere - somewhere- at any time.

I've got the pole for my backdrop stand fed through the sleeve, and the weight of it is holding it against the underside of the porch rail.

Something I don't like to talk or think about - but eventually this may hang at a celebration of life in the way far distant future.  Just thinking.  Click to Play:


It wasn't long after this that the misty rain started up again!


Favorite sections -


I think the quilting did the job it was meant to do - add great texture, not upstage the piecing, and hold everything together for generations to come.


And I love that she pieced her name right into the front of the quilt.


Well done, Mama! Well done!

The rest of the day was a complete blur - a rush and a hustle to get everything ready for the July Quiltvillians who arrived right on time yesterday afternoon.

I had two other visits by two groups of ladies interspersed by a couple of hours -

Thank you so much for dropping by and saying hello! It was great to meet you - it makes this world of ours such a friendly welcoming connected space!


I'm up to here with my shirt stars.

There are only a few left to piece and then I can start layout options and think about what to do for borders, etc.

The one on the bottom left is giving me all the tartan feelings of my recent trip to Scotland.

Has a month gone by already? How is that possible?


Onto the 3rd side of binding!

See what I mean about just wanting the binding to blend into the neutral string blocks and not making a statement on its own?

If I had gone with aqua/turquoise it would have shouted out loudly and boxed those string flying geese in.

LAST DAY TO ENTER!!


The response to our Hamilton Gardens release yesterday has been phenomenal!  I can't thank you enough, and I am so excited that you are excited to make your own version while stitching down your scraps.

New Zealand Inspired!

A trip to New Zealand in January 2024 gave me a chance to see Hamilton Gardens for myself. All of that inspiration is captured here with easy to follow instructions, full-color photos and graphics to help you create your own version – no triangles required!

Quilt Size:79’’ X 79’’

Introductory pricing: I have set the price for Hamilton Gardens at 25% off - no coupon needed. Sale price good through 7/28/24. 

And yes - there is a Gift-Away!


I'll be drawing for 2 winners who will each receive a Hamilton Gardens PDF pattern from me, and a Hamilton Roll from Cotton to Quilts!

Of course, they've also got gorgeous neutral rolls to enhance your stash as well.  Check them out!

Winners will be chosen by random number generator TOMORROW, July 26th.

Enter to win on the Gift-Away Post.

As for today? More rain.

I woke up to rain.  I had my coffee sitting in my rocking chair on my covered front porch and just listened to it hitting the trees across the yard.  The birds don't seem to mind - they are chirping as loud as ever.

And as quilters? We don't mind either!  The July Quiltvillians have projects to work on and friendships to share.  It's going to be a good day, all the way around.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Be yourself, but be your best authentic self!

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!


 

14 comments:

  1. Your mama's quilt is awesome! I'm betting she'll be very happy with your binding and happy that it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! Your Mom's quilt is just
    stunning. A real treasure.
    I'm working on a Bear paw table runner with ....120 hst! Oh my. Ha.
    It's been rainy here off and on so no pics of my Indigo Way flimsy.
    You've had your share of rain too.
    We need it here.
    Time has a way of going by fast when you're busy.
    Have a Sparkling day ☀️
    Blessings 💞

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! Your mom’s quilt is so delightful, dear, and so fun… I can see where you get your creative inspiration from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother's quilt is absolutely stunning. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:00 AM EDT

    Got to visit Bonnie’s quilts at the Quilters Hall of Fame! So awesome to see them in person, I loved it! Hubster very cooperative getting me there as our only mode of transportation this trip is a rather large RV. But we made it!! Wish I could post a photo. Jane Sayler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama's quilt is gorgeous hanging over the porch rail! It's perfect--she'll be so proud when she sees it in person all finished. Love the hexagon flowers scattered throughout the words, and the flowered border is so pretty. I can't imagine the hours spent in this beauty. Great job getting it all finished, Bonnie! Such a treasure that this work of art was completed together. **hugs** Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:27 AM EDT

    I love your mother's quilt and the quilting you did on it. I am amazed at how she made the words with the hexies. I can make a hexie, but unless I had a pattern or diagram of how to make the words, I would be clueless.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning!! Such a great quote, & the quilt you finished for your mom is just gorgeous & most certainly needs it's own time in the spotlight! :) You hear the pride & love in your voice talking about it! I don't blame you for not wanting to ship it, & (the selfishness of wanting to keep it around for just a little bit!) Loving the Stars, & the bout of rain we are having this week as well. Though I am hoping after Sunday it does start to dry up a bit... I've got a Mister going crazy because he wants to finish his fence before we go back to school! :) (How is that possible?!) Have a great day... I am almost done with these projects to bind, & then I can get back on to Chilhowie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie! Was wonderful meeting you yesterday! I am so envious of your quilt retreat house. I know that it is a LOT of work, but it is soooo beautiful and you are so gracious. Thank you for taking the time to give us a tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:51 AM EDT

    Your mom's quilt turned out so beautiful & how wonderful that you finished it for her! I showed my friend the pictures & explained how it was made & he was simply amazed. I'm sure your mom will be thrilled with it now that it's finished. So very happy to urged her to put the borders on & let you quilt it for her! Awesome job & you're a wonderful daughter, Bonnie!!
    Alice in SW Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:16 PM EDT

    Love your mom’s quilt!! Bonnie, this one needs to go to Houston for the Quilt Festival! It would inspire so many people. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn in Australia8:19 AM EDT

      I agree, Anita's quilt is worthy of display at Houston Quilt Festival but you would have to be nervous to allow it out of your possession. No amount of insurance could cover the security of such a precious quilt.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous2:36 PM EDT

    Your mom's quilt looks wonderful. Thanks, Bonnie, for explaining your options and the way you choose binding, long-arm quilt patterns, etc. It is so helpful when I look at my own quilts and try to make those choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:46 PM EDT

    Hi Bonnie- Please tell your Mom I am so impressed with her hexie quilt. She took the EPP technique and made it her own. What a beautiful quilt! She subtly gave me the "nudge" to get back to my own hexagon project. Thank you so much for sharing this. It is really special that you finished it for her. Susan

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)