>>>>

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Tummy Warming From Quilt Villa! (Recipe and More!)

soup_ext

It’s the very beginning of my favorite season – CROCK POT SEASON!!

When the temps turn cooler, when nights turn to two-quilt weather, and my day by day uniform of choice goes from capris and t-shirt to full length jeans and t-shirt with the addition of a favorite comfy denim shirt over the top (sleeves rolled up – gotta get down to business!) it’s also time to bring out and dust off the tried and true crock pot recipes and add a few new ones to the mix.

White Chicken Chili – just the ticket!  And I had a mostly devoured rotisserie chicken in the fridge that would be perfect for making chicken stock in the crock pot the night before. 

You could use canned chicken and canned chicken broth, but why bother? Too much salt in that.  just break that chicken carcass into pieces, cover it with about 4 cups of water or so and simmer it until all the meat falls off the bones.  Strain the broth into a container, separating it from the meat and bones and put it in the fridge to chill overnight.  The fat, what little there is, will rise to the top and solidify so you can easily discard the fat from off the broth.

While simmering, you can season your broth, but I usually wait until I know what the broth is going into before I season.

When cool enough to handle, comb through the meat and bones, pulling the chicken meat into shreds and discarding any bones or cartilage or undesirable bits.  At this point I usually put the good chicken meat into a zip lock bag in the fridge next to my container of broth that is chilling and save it for the next day.

Recipe:
  • 2 to 3 fresh or frozen chicken breasts (I used 2 since I had some of the meat left from the rotisserie chicken.)
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth (I used what I made the day before.)
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed.
  • 1 7 oz. can chopped green chiles (mild) You can always add more heat later if you need it!
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used minced in a jar from my fridge!)
  • 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • For serving: Diced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, Fresh lime wedges.
  1. Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.Cover with the chicken broth, white beans, green chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate. Once cool enough to handle, shred or chop and set aside. ( I chop into smaller pieces as I don’t like long shreds of meat hanging off my spoon.)
  2. To thicken the chili - Transfer a few ladles of the chili to a food processor or a blender (Or use an immersion blender) and roughly blend, leaving some of the beans whole.  Stir the blended portion back into the chili. Add in the shredded chicken and cilantro.
  3. Portion into bowls and add any other desired toppings.
  4. Enjoy!
20180930_094137

It’s also been time to get the autumn decor out of cold storage!

IMG_20180930_092745_036

These twiggy pumpkins will stay through Thanksgiving!

They were on a half-price rack at Sam’s club after the holidays many moons ago, and they still make me smile.  It’s officially FALL when these come out to sit by the fireplace.

Do you have favorite things you bring out for autumn?

20180929_112512

Leaves are getting more yellow by the day!

20180929_112308

With the summer heat gone, there has been much man shed activity.

I think my favorite thing about the shed are the hand made barn doors.

I do think there is a perfect spot for a barn quilt block on point above the doors, don’t you??

20180929_123022

Another addition – the shed back porch!

The gutter is new.  And the shed will be getting a new coat of paint as soon as we can decide on what color to paint it.  I was thinking a cedar shade – to blend better with the surroundings and somewhat match the color of the cabin.  This beige is just the “basic” color that the walls came in.  It’s fairly boring, and gives off a pink cast when the light is right with the red roof.  Nope.  That siding has to change.

20180929_075355

Yesterday’s discovery.

This is NOT what I was supposed to be working on!

But you know how it goes – while searching for ONE thing, I came across another – and had to lay these blocks out to see how many there were and what they would do.  I think at one time I was going to use them as a border, but didn’t.

AHA! I only need 4 more blocks and I would have enough for a small quilt!

*BRAINSTORM!*  I could grab the string bucket and MAKE SOME!  It wouldn’t take long…..

20180929_075339

And then I found another baggie – with THESE already done.

There were close to 100 that were already trimmed and simply needed the paper removed.

There is another huge stack just waiting for trimming and de-papering.

I think this quilt can be a lot larger than just a wall-hanging! LOL!

Have I been manically sewing these in my sleep and hiding them away where I would find them?

20180929_220333

MUCH de-papering happened last night during Blue Bloods!

Now for the test – Who recognizes that brown floral print triangle on the top piece?  I bought some of that in the blue colorway when first married, 1981.  Do you still have this in your stash?!

It’s a going home day.  Things are busy here with much vacuuming and cleaning so things are spit-spot the next time I come up.  It’s always a bit of a downer, but I am counting down the days until I can return again.

IMG_20180930_084123_812000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage log cabin quilt found while antiquing near Wytheville on Tuesday.

Time to pull the train of doubts off the track! Name ONE of your strengths below! Even if it isn't easy for you, I know they are there, no matter how insignificant you think they are.

And at the next opportunity compliment someone on what you see within them that they might not see within themselves.
#upliftnotputdown

As for me - DETERMINATION! Don't tell me that I can't do something as it lights a fire within me to not only do just that, but to take it over the top.

YOUR TURN!




96 comments:

  1. My faith! Couldn't get anywhere without it or God! It helps me do so many things in my life that I never imagined I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honest...sometimes too much, but Taurus is known for that. I was taught to be true to who I am and what I believe. And Miss Bonnie...I think you are also GENEROUS....giving so much to so many, even when some don't seem to appreciate it. Love you, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. motivator. As a teacher, I have many opportunities to work with the students and help them find their hidden talents. When there is work to be done, I can usually get them into high gear to do what they might think is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Determination (a good thing) sometimes to the point of obsession (a not-so good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, as each day goes by, I get more excited for the opening of the Quiiltville Retreat Center! I have been trying to locate Mouth-of-Wilson on my maps and on Google. The closest I can get is that it is somewhere between Abingdon and Galax, an area near and dear to my heart, in years gone by.
    Holly Mineau, who will be on your Kenya trip, is a person of faith, but not preach-y. She is a bountiful quilter and I know you will be friends with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on Google maps and did a satellite view and located it. Real neat.

      Delete
  6. dont like the word "NO". there is always a way. Making your Chix chili today with corn bread muffins. ty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep used that brown around that time. Think i still have some in my string box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positivity! Even when everything is going wrong, I try to have a positive attitude.
    Things always seem to work out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making your own broth in crockpot. What a brilliant idea! Mom is on a low sodium diet and even the low sodium canned broth is too high. This way I can totally control the amount of salt. Would probably add celery, carrot and onion while it is cooking. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faithful and I agree with Sundae Quilter you are GENEROUS giving freely to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That vintage log cabin you used as the backdrop to the daily quote certainly spoke to me. Thanks for the recipe, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a crock pot craving yesterday too... I made vegetable soup... green beans and diced tomatoes from the garden, dice up a couple carrots, 1 russet potatoe, some onion, corn cut off the cob from the farmers market, and a box of beef broth... just realized I forgot the garlic... but it was good anyway. I have small crock pot and it is enough for the three of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite kind of soup!

      Delete
  13. Hi Bonnie I love to make the white chilli it's also good to freeze for later. My loyalty, caring and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie I love to make the white chilli it's also good to freeze for later. My loyalty, caring and patience are my strength.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Creativity! I find it influences everything I do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving encouragement. ... Bonnie, you're the best! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am tenacious. I love helping people solve problems... thanks so much for your kindhearted character... your are a true gen in this beautiful world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always Learning, guess that is my strong point. If I hear of a place, I have to look it up, like Quiltville Inn. Looked at the history, location and bird's eye view. Ready to learn new quilting ideas and patterns. Interested in LEARNING!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am steadfast and hard working!
    Thanks for the recipe... I'll try it out next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. GRATEFUL! Driving through the evergreen trees that are changing color, I think on how grateful I am there are seasons. All things to be grateful for, my family, my talents and my friends. I count you as a friend, thanks for sharing . Glad you found more blocks to make this quillt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always positive, and apparently, smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. organized, sometimes painfully so!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have several that I am known for:
    Determination, Perseverance, Dependability and Responsibility are the big ones!

    Donna
    Kasilof, AK
    Where it is cold, crisp and sunny today! Fall is definitely here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perseverance and positive. I have never made white chili and am going to make this recipe! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Forgiving
    I can understand why you hate to leave your beautiful countryside retreat. I’m going to go watch your video on Quiltville Inn. Would love another walkthrough to see all the updates you have done.
    I know life has been kind of bumpy for you, so take care of you. See you in Omaha in October. Nel from Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  26. My strength seems to be motivating others - need to turn it onto myself!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am blessed to have a couple of strengths that allow me to be useful on a regular basis. I can cook and bake and love to share the food with family and friends. Also. I can sew. So I use that talent to sew for others as a way of saying thank you for all of the wonderful ways they have made me smile. God gave talents to use not lose, is what my dear Mother told me over 65 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joy! It colors everything I do!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pragmatism. I also think I have empathy, but I try not to let empathy run away with my common sense. You need both for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Able to find the silver lining in most every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lol! That brown floral print! I have a very small scrap of the blue version that went into the first bed size quilt I ever made! Made it for the man who is my husband. Thanks for the yummy recipe. Thank you for your many hours of work and time you devote to your art!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Strong, positive, persistent, and empathetic

    ReplyDelete
  33. Determination - once I set my mind on something, I see it through regardless of bumps in the road.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thankful in all things, but especially quilting

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loyal to my sons and husband.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10:57 PM EDT

    Independent! I can do it by myself if you will show me how. I went to see Quilt Villa today..I really wanted to have my picture made on the front porch but I didn't know whether I would be Intruding so I didn't. The place is beautiful including the chestnut tree in the front yard. Can't wait for this place to open!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The post above was made by me. We went to the craft show at Grayson Highlands and then I stopped and made a picture of Quilt Villa. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Belief in God and the goodness and harmony of all he created.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Loyalty. Once you break it, to me, it is hard to redeem with me.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the glowing pumpkins! When the weather turns cooler and the days get shorter, I love holiday decor that adds a warm, cozy glow.
    The brown fabric does look suspiciously familiar, but thankfully, I believe it is all gone. :)
    I've never made white bean chili--I do make confetti chili with three colors of beans, but your recipe sounds very tempting. Thanks for sharing it.
    One strength, huh? I guess the fact that I am very aware of details. I pick up on little things that other people miss, whether it is the details of organizing an event, or the details of senior parent care. I'm the one that remembers table covers and a sounds system for the reunion, or prescription refills and home repairs for Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Always optimistic !!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Forgiving, I have never thought of making chicken stock in my crock pot another great tip from Bonnie.
    I think your choice of cedar for the shed would blend it in nicely and a barn quilt block would just finish it off lol.
    Autumn is now in full force here in the Channel Islands the road are strewn with leaves so wi ter jumpers and trousers are now being worn although we are still getting a few lovely sunny days all good.
    Have a wonderful week love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I enjoy reading your responses, as I learn more about the Channel Islands!

      Delete
  43. Appreciative - or perhaps thankful - that I have been quite lucky overall (OK some not so good times) and I'm surrounded by nature and have friends old and since moving here, new ones that have accepted us into their farming community - wonderful. I'm thankful to see deer and pheasants and foxes - and that we don't get bears here! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Belief in myself and my friends. Friends are the fruit on my life's tree.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kindness and giving. I am also lucky and blessed to have great friends. Bonnie you are amazing. Thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Empathetic. Your writing always stirs me! Such a journey you are on! And thanks for leaving politics out of your blog! Quilt and create on!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have a constant need to learn new things. That doesn't necessarily mean "try" new things but to gather the information I need to determine whether I will try that "new" thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to learn something new each day. And like you that doesn't mean I will do something, use what I learned, or even retain what I learned.

      Delete
  48. Good listener. My daughter says I must have "talk to me" stamped on my forehead.I have lots of conversations with complete strangers, mostly listening on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Generous. I love to give hope and help to others less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Encouragement to others is a strength of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Comforting and dependable for my children. Also hope to leave them a legacy of cozy quilts! Thanks for your daily inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Patience and loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am so making this!

    LOYAL

    ReplyDelete
  54. Civic-minded and patriotic

    ReplyDelete
  55. I can make mountains out of mole hills!
    Just kidding, I like to make people laugh and feel good, and I do that with puns and odd observations of normal everyday things.

    ReplyDelete
  56. determination and dedication. I'm off to stain the deck on a cloudy 50 degree day because it may be the last chance before fall rains/snow starts. And why didn't I do this when it was warmer?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Listening. Doing for others which I think is one you have.

    ReplyDelete
  58. structured I get lots done because I'm structured in how I do things so that I'm fast and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Passionate - I'm passionate about my family, my faith, my friends, my quilting, and my advising students/college. When you're passionate about what you're doing it's no longer work and it becomes fun and fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Resilient, independent & dependable...

    ReplyDelete
  61. Tenacity if you tell me I can't I will find a way to do it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Finding the good - in people, situations. I am not a Pollyanna, yet I do believe there is something good to be found in almost everyone. Sometimes it takes longer to find than others.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I am able to make people smile. My friend asked me the other day how I can stay so positive. Well.... I only want to see the good so that is what I share.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Pertinacious. As a patient advocate I look for the best result available and acceptable for all parties involved. This trait also comes in handy when desiring to start a new project before the last is complete!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Positive, determined( husband would say stubborn with a Pollyanna syndrome)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Perserverance, I guess you would call it. I rarely have a UFO or undone project because I just keep plugging away on it until it is done.
    Thanks for the recipe. I might have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Mine would be the kindness I try to use whenever possible, which I appreciate in myself since there is precious little of it nowadays in our world. Thank you for sharing all that is YOU with all of us!
    Deb E / Oregon

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)