>>>>

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Sew Many Pineapple Blossoms!

20160316_084303-001
Class day #2 in Kalamazoo!

Can you tell that the beautiful spring weather is having a happy effect on all of us?

Or most of us.  This is me saying, “Ok, girls!  Let’s do a wild and crazy one, let your silly OUT!”

About 1/2 of us did, the others just look NORMAL.  What fun is that?  LOL!

It’s actually been a while since i have taught a Pineapple Blossom workshop. It was fun to bring this old favorite back out for some super simple piecing and some stitch and flip cornering, plus bonus triangles!

The Log Cabin Quilters in Kalamazoo are busy making donation quilts, many child-sized “lovies” are given and paired with a soft stuffed animal to children in need.  The large bonus triangles that are saved fro behind the stitch & flip flying geese corners work perfectly into these lovie quilts as super scrappy pinwheels in a flash.  We were doing double duty yesterday!
Just look at these busy bees at work!


he quilters had the option of making their blocks in one of two sizes.  2’’ strips will give you a 9’’ block, like my sample quilt.  2 1/2’’ strips will give you a 12’’ block.  Your stash, you choose!

20160316_154935

We were even green for St Paddy’s day!

20160316_151510

fun red blocks with fussy cut centers!

20160316_145224

Black and white and gorgeous all over!

20160316_140040

Recycled shirts without sashings!

20160316_150425

Batiks WITH sashings!

You can also make the choice to set with sashings or not – I did use sashings as they give a place for all of the seam allowances to lie, distributing the bulk that would otherwise have to be pinned to match if I didn’t use them. I also love the secondary shoo-fly that appears with sashings and cornerstones added!

You will find the free pattern for Pineapple Blossom under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device or if it doesn’t play on your computer.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing and  you can click “view slide show” from there.

Pineapple Blossom, Kalamazoo, MI 2016



20160316_135848

Press it out, ladies!

a1

Such a great day to play!


20160316_224018

Evening stitching in Okemos!

I am now just outside of Lansing for a few days of quilty fun here.  A borrowed machine from Katie, some Castle on TV and a bag of Kalamazoo Carmel Corn got me through the evening stitching 4 patches while my laundry ran in the guest laundry where I am staying.

Today promises some good times!  I am being picked up at 11:30am for some lunch out and antique shopping, and then on to set up for my lecture this evening with the guild here!

Two more days of workshops to follow!  Whew! 

But my Spring Break is on the horizon and I am getting antsy to get home and spend some cabin time.

3_17_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Wishing you a rainbow for sunlight after showers, miles of smiles for happy hours- and may St. Patrick drive the snakes right out of your life!

Happy st. Patrick's day, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like some very nice things in the works there. That black and white is really going to be an attention grabber, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a few of those blocks. The leftovers are fun to play with for borders too. Happy you got some antiquing fun in with all your lectures and workshops. Cabin time- You have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to finish my pineapple blossom quilt that I started at one of your workshops in Virginia Beach years ago. I'm going to add it to my finish it 2016 list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the pineapple blossom workshop. I was one of the Indiana girls and looked forward to attending both the workshop and lecture since I first saw that you were coming to an area within driving distance. Thank you for all you do and the tips you share.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)