>>>>

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Hand Quilting and a Home Grown Video Demo!

15326368_10154798494248909_4765274852941575252_n
This makes me smile!

Yesterday afternoon I took a little trip to the post office with a load of out-going orders and from the depths of the post office I hear Sherry saying “Did you give it to her yet?!” to Aspen who was working the front counter.  “No, but I will!” says Aspen and I am laughing to myself.  “What did I leave here?”  “Did I miss something last time?”  “Do I owe you money?”

And it feels so good that not only do I know these gals by sight and we are on a first name  very friendly basis, but they also know ME by my definitely “Not from around here” Minnesota accent that still clings on, even though I left Minnesota at the age of 7 and grew up in California.

Wherever you learn to speak your vowels, they just stick with you, don’t they?  “Oh Jah, Youbetcha!”

It seems this little letter was sent to me with no street address, and not to my own zip code of 27107.

You see, even though I reside in Wallburg, my address is really a Winston-Salem address and the post office that delivers is from miles away as my little one window post office doesn’t do home delivery, they are postal box only. 

I counted yet one more reason why I love small town living.  The PO gals KNEW I’d be back in eventually.  They even knew I was up at the cabin for a long weekend.  And they just held this little card for me until the next time they heard me walk in the door with a “Hi girls! How’s your day?”

Small town, Big Heart!

And a bigger thanks for the lovely note that was found inside the envelope.  I read every word as I sat in my car with the engine running, seat warmers on.  This made my day!

I love the beautiful handwriting.  Such a lost art. Makes me sad they are not teaching cursive writing in school anymore.  It really IS an art.

Today I have a special HOME GROWN treat for you.

Some of you may remember that Jeff and I tried to do a home video tutorial for the Essential Triangle Tool but were not happy with the quality, and opted to film demos in Houston instead. 

I went back and watched this video, and while there are places I wish I could clip out, there is loads of valuable info I want to share with you. So you are getting it, un-edited, un-enhanced, as is.

While some folks can do everything, there are things I haven’t had a chance to learn yet, so you are getting this good try but very shaky experience!  But I think it has valuable information.



So!  See how cool this is?

Nothing fancy down here in the basement.  Not a studio set up.  No great lighting, no fancy camera, just my son who I love dearly for his willingness to try doing a video tutorial and a few close ups of the outside of my arm near the elbow.  LOL!  STRICTLY AMATEUR!  I do better at sewing.

This video will be linked under the videos tab at the top of the blog for future reference should you need to come back to it.

If you want the pro-view, you can still get my Wanderlust Course  with Craft U!  Use the code Wander15 for 15% off of the purchase price.  More info by clicking the Wanderlust Course link in the upper left hand side bar of the blog (from a real computer where side bars are visible, not a mobile device.)

In OTHER news:

I heard back from Quiltmaker and the String Pumpkins will be on its way to Golden Colorado as soon as I get the binding, sleeve and label on!  That is on the docket for this weekend.  Be looking for that pattern in the September/October 2017 issue.  HOORAY!  That’s the fastest way to get this pattern to you and I’m so excited that they have accepted it.

Our drawing for the Quiltmaker bundle is TONIGHT!!  Did you enter ON THAT POST?

Our Mystery Monday Link-Up has new additions coming in at a good clip!  View those HERE.  Those entries close tonight at midnight, Eastern time, so keep them coming!  If you miss it, no worries, just join in next Monday.

20161205_210426

I’ve been HAND QUILTING!

This 2007 UFO needs to be finished.

20161205_210343

Just loving the hand quilting texture!

I have my Craftoptics Telescopes to thank for much of this.  I wrote about them HERE.  Seriously.  I am able to do things with the help of these that I haven’t been able to do in years.  No affiliation, just a very happy satisfied customer.  Craftoptics also has a sale going on through December.  Check them out.  It could be the best gift you give to yourself.

I’m headed back up to the cabin this afternoon.  I want to spend as much time up there as I can during my time off which is quickly flying by, you know how it goes.

And you know what TOMORROW is?  Part 3 of En Provence

Are you ready?

12_8_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

My mama used to quote "To know and not to do is not to know." And "When you know better, do better!"

Isn't this quilt fun? I'm not sure if it's fish or birds in a circle, but it's got me captivated!

Shared by Kevin H –and I’m so grateful he keeps sending more photos to keep me in quote backgrounds!

Have a great Thursday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

27 comments:

  1. Love your Mama's quotes. Might have to use them myself.

    Off to watch your video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that was an excellent video on cutting with the essential triangle ruler. I really appreciated that you emphasized having the cutting line on the fabric, it does make such a difference. You are so great at sharing your knowledge and I am trying to follow your lead with my new quilting friends, helping when ever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tutorial. I feel equipped to cut some triangles now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the video Bonnie. It was very helpful. I don't have that particular tool but I did find it very useful. It made things much clearer on what I am supposed to be doing.But I think the most useful thing was the cutting of strips. Using your method my pieces are cut to the correct size now. Thank you Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so proud of your video! Awesome job! Love the "real" of it!
    For new quilters: imho this is THE BEST ruler I own! Bonnie thinks as i do....what is the finished size and she has made it so easy for my brain!
    For old quilters, you know, we own huge amount of rulers we don't particularly "get in our brain" and spend $$$$$ to make it easier, and always disappointed? Not this one!! Love it! Check out her YouTube video! It's awesome!
    Thank you soooooooo MUCH Bonnie!!! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, the videos really help a lot! Last year was my first mystery quilt with you. I saved the clues and lurked in the background marveling at all the posts and pictures. Although I had been sewing for over 60 (!!!) years, we were living through a building addition and whole house remodel. No place to cook and eat, let alone sew! I started in January, way out of my comfort zone, and had a great time. This year I am able to do this as a true mystery and even scrappier than last year. Thank you so much for the gifts you give us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny thing about schools no longer teaching cursive writing, my youngest daughter and I go to get her permit to learn to drive. She is asked to sign the form, she starts to print her name, the clerk tells her "No you need to sign with with your signature in cursive." My daughter Jackie answers "but I don't remember what a J in cursive looks like"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great video with lots of good tips. The quilt shown with the quote is called Fishes'. It is part of a Biblical series of quilt blocks. I have this pattern in a quilt that my Grandmother made for me. I had never seen it in another quilt until you shown it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would call the quilt Daisy Fish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad ypu get more Quiltvilla time! I miss my small town PO. Letter writing is a real lost art. My Mother by love was good at sending them. Thank yous are the Bread & Butter letters, she said. Have to go make more Tri-Recs today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In this morning Heloise column there was a letter about being unable to find pretty writing stationery. What a shame. Nothing is as good as getting a hand written letter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the video is just right like it is. No need for fancy stuff when you are so clear w your directions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for those quotes. Words to live by indeed! And thanks for the video, even though it wasn't the type of work you wanted to put out there. We get it, the advances come when they come. But really, do you think we actually needed that tease for tomorrow's clue #3? We are out her just salivating, waiting for Friday morning's reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, your new ruler looks fantastic, it's on my wish list. I see that you've made the lines very thin. I haven't liked using the easy angle ruler because the lines are so thick. I've had troubles being accurate. Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good info in your Video! Thanks to your Camera guy! Hope it helps. Almost ready for Clue 3. Letter writing is a lost thing in our Tech-y world. My Mother by Love always said, Thanks yous are the Bread and Butter letters. She was a great example to me. Glad I have the Essential Tool already. Enjoy your Quiltvilla time again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just watched the video - it was great. Now I want a tool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great video and you cut my favorite white fabric with the cat faces! I look forward to the clue tomorrow to try out my new essential triangle tool and probably watch the video a few more times just to get it right

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet fun posting - loved the post office-small town story. I loved your new video on the Essential Triangle Tool. So what if it was 'amateurish', the information was so valuable. Thank you and thanks, too, dear son, for helping out Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that video so much! The information is great and the parts to "edit out" just make it more relatable. If Bonnie can be human when making the video then I don't feel so bad being human using the tool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad the "good ole USPO" came through ( as I knew they would) & you received my note. Since then I have found a "proper" address. My quilting has improved so much since finding your site & blog, thank you for all your great ideas & thoughts.
    Tomorrow is Friday....yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Bonnie for the information in this great video. I ordered this new ruler and this information gives me the perfect instructions on how to use it. This will be my first year doing a mystery quilt and I look forward to the journey. Thank you for your wonderful blog every day. It is the first one I read each day. It is always filled with wonderful inspiring information and it encourages me to continue quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bonnie:
    It has only been the last couple of weeks that I have realized that you are from Minnesota, as I am. I have been gone from there for 50 years, and I STILL have my accent, too. As you say, those vowels give us away! People can guess it just talking to them on the phone!

    I still try to feed everyone, all the time! And I can speak the language well, Yeeeaaah, Uff Da! You Betcha! I lived amongst all the Germans, Norwegians and Swedes, and Bohemians! Minnesota, the original Melting Pot of America! We Loved it and still do!

    Donna
    Kasilof, AK

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing your video in it's uncut glory! Great teaching as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the video! "Perfectly imperfect"! Love that you can hear your sweet son laughing as he tries to follow along with what you're doing. I would take a million of these videos over the edited ones any day. I appreciate that your desire for us to understand how to use the ruler overcomes any embarrassment you have over the "quality" of the video. You have a huge heart and I'm so thankful for all that you do for the quilting community that loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. great job on the video. your new ruler looks fantastic. your demo of the use of the ruler is so straight-forward that everyone should be able to use it. thanks for recruiting your son and taking the time to film this video. such a great help for those of us who can't attend your classes. patti in florida

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Happy Day !!!! this video has closed captions !!!! thus I got all the words.... and I know the little points you explained. Thank You Thank You....

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)