>>>>

Monday, January 25, 2016

Scrappy Mountain Majesties Day!

20160124_150315-1
Mona and I finally got our Snow day Sew Day yesterday!

And what a good time we had!

I took this photo mid-afternoon when we were in full production mode. The lighting was perfect and I could see not onlu the sun shining on the snow, sparkly white, but the mountains in the distance were also in full view against a beautiful Carolina blue backdrop sky.

I had started out in the morning preppeing and cutting shirt parts into 8 1/2’’ squares – matching a light to a dark and slicing them on the diagonal so that they were ready for Mona to sew.

In this tag team game of ours it’s a One for You, One for Me kind of situation…and it is really going to go fast this way.  I cut, she sews, we divide!


20160124_133508

The Pull From Pile!

I admit that I have ulterior motives with this bin of shirt parts.  It’s a MESS!  I last dug into here when I was making my brother Mark’s quilt in a hurry due to his brain tumor diagnosis and surgery, and aggressive radiation and chemo that followed.  I had no time to be organizational about this.  I cut what I needed and stuffed it back in the bin to deal with later.  Well, later has arrived!

20160124_111746

Cutting Down!

As I am ironing shirt parts, finding pieces large enough to cut 8 1/2’’ squares from, I am taking what is left after cutting the squares and putting the Scrap User’s System back into practice.  Everything left over from any shirt part is getting cut into 1 1/2’’, 2’’ and 2 1/2’’ strips.  I’m going to pass on the 3 1/2’’ strips for right now as usually there isn’t that much margin left after cutting the 8 1/2’’ squares out.

This is a reminder to me that it is time to start thinking of some more fun ways to use up the recycled shirt fabrics!  Oh, and there is a bag of strings growing on the side too!

20160124_133454

Mona sewing triangles!

I always get asked why I sew cut triangles instead of draw a line and sew 1/4’’ either side and cut up the middle.  It’s simple.  Drawing a line and sewing either side is a waste of time.  These triangles are slightly over-sized anyway so you are going to have to trim them down.  Just cut, sew, trim and go.  You have an extra 1/8’’ of margin to play with.  If your squares are coming out too small from the get-go then your seam is simply too wide.  Fix it.

20160124_135643

Mona trimming!

To trim, place the diagonal line on the ruler (Here we are using a 9 1/2’’ square) along the diagonal seam on the block and scoot the ruler as far as you can to the top edge. Trim up one side and across the top.

Turn the block so the square corner is now down at the bottom left. Use the 8’’ lines on the ruler on the nice square corner you just trimmed, and square the block at 8’’.

20160124_135848

Two triangle squares, matched and sliced in 2’’ increments!

Place two trimmed units with right sides together, dark on light, and light on dark so the diagonal seam nests.  This is important so that you get one uphill block and one downhill block at the same time.

20160124_135933

Whoowhoo!

Simply peel the first layer on top UP, laying the strips as shown so both blocks are right sides up.  And then the magic begins!

20160124_140103

re-arrangem and sew back together!

Mona is brand new to sew first, slice and sew back together.  The first time we did it is with her current disspearing 9 patch and she is loving the technique.  Remember being a new quilter and having someone show you how you can do this?  It looks so much more complicated than it is.

20160124_150308

Stacking in piles of uphill and downhill!

If you are wanting to jump in and join us, you can find the free pattern for Scrappy Mountain Majesties under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Bonnie_Carmen_2mos

Dinner out with Carmen!

We finally got off mountain late yesterday afternoon for a birthday dinner out of Mexican with Rick, Mona, and their daughter Caitlin, and of course, baby Carmen!  Isn’t she a cutie patootie?  I am getting as much of her as I can as she will be heading back to Ohio soon.

20160124_222103

Two more rows added!

After Downton Abbey was over last night, I stayed on channel and watched Mercy Street.  Have you seen it?

I think it is very realistic due to the time period.  Things were not pretty, nor politically or racially correct in the 1860s.  Women were still inferior.  I’ve heard comments saying that they don’t like it, that there is too much prejudice. 

I also think it is important to view things as they were, really were, and learn from them.  Yes, we feel uncomfortable about certain situations because YES! We HAVE come a long way, baby!

I’ll give it a couple more episodes before I make my decision to continue or not.  The costuming is fabulous, however!

1_25_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Hello, Monday! It's a brand new week. With a brand new attitude. Let's make it a good one! Please note that this quote applies to how you treat yourself, as well as how you treat others.

Kaleidoscope quilt in blue and yellow made by me somewhere around 2003.

Plans today have me working from here.  I’ll likely cut some more squares, and do more clean up on the pile of shirt parts, which as now largely been separated into a pile with pieces “Big enough” to cut the 8 1/2’’ squares from, and a big pile designated as “TOO SMALL” for this project, and another project will have to be decided to use those up.

Roads here are now mostly clear and I should have no trouble getting the van down the mountin by myself by tomorrow afternoon when I plan to head home.

Enjoy your day, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

15 comments:

  1. Great teaming up and sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:28 AM EST

    Thanks for the tutorial! I've always loved this quilt but it looked so complicated that I wouldn't try it. Triangles and bias, oh my! You once again explain it so well that it seems easy and simple. I've been lurking on your blog for several years and loving it. I'm hoping to see you in Wichita Kansas in April! Can't wait! Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. I travel through your blog!
    glendacean at hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, are you concerned with mixing cotton/ polyester fabric in your scrap system from the shirts? What about washed vs unwashed fabric? Love your blog!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Monday my 11 yr old granddaughter came over and we worked on this. I cut and she sewed. this will be her 2nd large quilt. we are not using shirts for hers but I hope to make one for me out of recycled shirts. Love this pattern. Thanks for sharing
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I am enjoying watching Mercy Street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be a 'Bonnie Hunter wanna-be' but really, I want to be Mona!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing the fabulous finished tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quote of the day! Thanks for sharing the story about you and Mona. It is fun to teach a new quilter and see the light come on in their eyes when they understand the technique. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made three quilts using your Scrappy Mountain Majesties method. It is one that I'll make again and again because of the many variations possible with the setting. And you've made your directions for it in the easiest way possible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on Mercy Street. The costumes are great. The story line keeps you engaged. It was a tough time back then and this series appears to keep it authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:55 PM EST

    Bonnie, forget the great wall of China. Australia is the place to come, just ask Oprah....
    We would have shown you the best time.
    Now you are going cruising instead of visiting us, wrong move girl.
    Rosemary
    Melbourne Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my stars what a adorable picture of both of you Bonnie. You are glowing so happy.
    Thank you for explaining in the tutorial . Am learning so much from you. Are all those shirts cotton or a mix? I love all the plaids but that is a lot of ironing. Glad you had such a great time with Mona. She is lucky to learn from the master. . Love your blue and yellow quilt with the saying on it. Happy quilting, Yoka Bazilewich

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Downton so much I'm already grieving that it is ending. Yes, I started watching Mercy and I really like it. I've lived north and south and even today people have their opinions about the 'Civil War'. In the south they say there was nothing civil about that war. Did you know that all the war statues in the south face north b/c you can never turn you back on a Yankee?
    Have to say once more thanks for all you do and especially sharing so much of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that Mona was finally able to make it over - and love the tag teaming. Such a great project. Have you read The Bregdan Chronicles series by Ginny Dye? It is a fantastic series - takes you through the Civil War and all the atrocities and heartache of that time (I guess atrocity and heartache doesn't really sound fantastic - lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that a new hair style? It's really cute on you.

    Love, love, love your blog and all the wonderful patterns that you share.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)