>>>>

Sunday, June 02, 2013

I Can Bind for Miles and Miles and Miles…..

Do you know how you are always ALWAYS telling me to slow down and take care of myself?

I’ve been doing that – well trying --- over the past week.  I’ve even tried to spend more time OUT of the studio, and the way I’ve been doing that is by giving myself binding time in the evenings in the recliner upstairs.

Somehow I ended up with MILES of binding to do all at once ---and I’m happy with the progress I’m making on it--

Yesterday, I finished the binding on Dancing Nines Baby Quilt #2 while in the car on the way to IKEA-- Car sewing time is always a bonus for me….and it makes the time go faster, voila!  Another binding done.

((Yes, I am aware how lucky I am that I do not get car sick, and I feel for those of you that do!))

Here, both of the quilts are displayed over the deck railing--

We redid our deck last year….and I LOVE the look of it, but those post finials are wreaking havoc with my quilt photography.

Labels are sewn on….and as soon as I know baby names, I will personalize the labels and send them off, one to my Sister Mary, and the other to my Sister-in-Law, Anna!  And then we wait to see which of these little tikes is going to make an appearance FIRST!  Their due dates are so close to each other--

Next up on the binding block:

dancingnines 038

Two Sides done, two sides to finish!

The finished size is about 41.5” square and can easily be enlarged by adding borders.  This is the quilt sample for our Collaboration Celebration being held here in Winston-Salem August 8-11, 2013!  Another sample is being made in shades of green and rose, and it is gorgeous as well.  We wanted to keep a “do-able” sized project to teach techniques from two different teachers, and still have the students have a lot to show progress wise for the time that they spent with us here during Collaboration Celebration.  I can’t WAIT to see what fabrics and colors they have chosen!

We’ve got several ladies flying in from all over the country – and some are coming from Canada!  It’s going to be a roaring good time.

I am providing machines for those who do not want to fly with one….several featherweights, 301s and even my 401 or any other machine in my vintage fleet is available by reservation--  Don’t let the problem of traveling with a machine deter you!  I’ve even got 2 Berninas and my Janome 6500P as loaner machines if you prefer to sew on a machine you are familiar with.  Want to give my new Grasshopper a spin?  Just let me know!

Waiting in the wings:

dancingnines 040

Jason’s Tumalo Trail!
Pieced by my friend Charlotte who’s work puts me to shame!  This was the flattest crispest quilt top with nary a seam miss-matched!  I might be able to start the binding tonight after completing the Collaboration Celebration sample.  I think Jason would like to have this sooner than later, but it is unliikely that I can finish it prior to leaving for Ireland Tuesday morning---

At any rate…it’s been MILES of binding…and I’ve loved sitting with my feet up and hand stitching away while enjoying some telly-time.  TOTAL RELAXATION!  See? I am taking your concerns to heart.

But TODAY!!

How about some Quilt-Cam time at 2pm Eastern?  I haven’t been able to do this at a time when the European Contingency could join us live in their own time-zone….I’m game if you are!  I have nore crumb strips to piece, and I want to give that a whirl on the new Grasshopper! 

Come back to the blog at 2pm Eastern and click the arrow on the screen to start the live video feed from my Basement Studio ---we’ll have a scrappy good time! 

Catch you then!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, Where can I find Jason’s Tumalo Trail pattern? It's such a beautiful classic. I also love the two baby quilts you've made. Thank you.
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, Tumalo Trail is in Bonnie's book Scraps & Shirttails II. Beautiful quilt!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Maureen!

      Delete
  2. love that last quilt you show - gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Binding is the best part of quilting! It is the magic when a bunch of sewn fabric becomes a quilt! It is so soothing to hand bind! I will be making and attaching bindings to two quilts during Quilt Cam. One is one my bed currently so I better get it done. Oh Im contemplating my vast stash of Denyse Schmidt fabrics for Collaboration Celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie,The baby quilts are just so beautiful!!! Love them!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I soooo want to go to the Collaboration Celebration - but I have a family thing to attend that weekend. I'm super jealous of those attending. I'm retiring this week - so that would be a great retirement gift to myself - but not to happen :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your retirement! Did it myself about a year ago and you're gonna LOVE it ... you'll wonder how you ever got anything done AND worked at the same time ... seriously! Linda

      Delete
    2. Wow! Congratulations on your retirement! It's hard to believe that you aren't retired already with all the quilting and sewing that you do. I'm really enjoying my retirement!

      Delete
  6. What about the China Contingency? I need a 9:00 am quilt cam so I can see it at 9:00 pm. Thanks.
    Love your work, love your generosity.
    We me in Florence SC at Swamp Fox Quilters many moons ago:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can catch up with her on YouTube if you can't make the "live" broadcasts. That is my "go to" resource when I have to miss one!

      Delete
  7. congrats on all the binding you have done and be glad to have more to let you rest and spend time with your family! I love binding and my quilting friend has several UFO's that only need binding... I told her to bring them to me! lol See ya at 2 pm EST! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love to be able and sew live with you; for us in the Netherlands that will be tonight. Great!
    And I absolutely adore those gorgeous dancing nine-patch quilts!
    My Leader and Ended are the little nine-patches to make the Tomalo Trail quilt. It's such a beautiful pattern.
    Thanks so much for all your inspiration! See you tonight!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilts all look beautiful Bonnie, congrats on getting some relaxing binding time in your weekend. Looking forward to quilt cam today.. I might actually be organized enough to work on something other than the 2 " squares that I've been working on during the last few quilt cams. :)

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I would love, love to give your sweet grasshopper a spin, in my car to Iowa. LOL She looks totally awesome, and I can only guess why you love sewing on her. That is how I feel about my 2 FW's, who are my regular piecing workhorses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where can I get the pattern to Callaberation Celebration? Such a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. TV hand sewing is the best. Well almost-I'll be joining YOU later trying to finish a long overdue hand quilted double! It's what I work on whilst watching the youtube archives usually. LIVE!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby quilts turned out wonderful! They are going to be lucky little boys! It looks like I'm going to have to buy another one of your books. I guess I should make the quilt from the last one I got first! lol Charlotte did a very nice job on Jason's Tumalo Trail. I'm going to start picking up some nice brown fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for quilt cam today Bonnie, you always get me motivated to sew along, and I enjoy it so much, and you are never boring.
    Just wanted to let you know that I'm so very sorry about your daughter, sending my love and hugs to you.
    Take care and safe travels to Ireland, as always I look forward to the next quilt-cam, enjoy your teaching time, I bet they are all so excited, I know I sure would be if it were me.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry I missed the quilt cam. Had to pick up some things for our evening service at church. I love your Grasshopper. I too have one. It's so cool looking!!! LOL I was wondering what kind of extention table you have so you can use it on multiple sewing machines? everytime I look at one they want to know the model I intend to use it on. I have a collection of machines..not as many as you..but I'm working on it!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have an antique quilt with those tiny 9 patches but in a plainer design and muslin with wonderful hand quilting which I figure is at about 1900 to 1920. Hadn't seen that before. I lovr Jaysons though

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful work - design and the execution! I love binding, too, one of favorite part of finishing a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, those baby quilts are wonderful! And so is the Collaboration Celebration quilt. Stunning design and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love binding too. I can't understand those who want to finish it all by machine! Hand stitching is sooo relaxing. I love sewing in the car too...my project is hexie flowers. I even made some pieced ones from Mickey's book (I won the copy Quiltmaker gave away!).

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)