>>>>

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Deacons, Indeed!

Karen and I had a great time working on the quilt for her son. Being as we are both the mother of boys, two sons each – we had a great time discussing what it’s like to cook for boys, the things they appreciate, the things they have no clue over ---and most of all how FAST they grow from babies to youngsters to teens to young men.

All too quickly!

Karen was even sweet enough to bring lunch ---this girl comes organized! She packed her rolling cooler ((Mothers of boys who play sports MUST have a rolling cooler for games!)) and at just about half way on the quilt, we broke for lunch, heated up her yummy homemade southwestern veggie soup on the stove, and ate yummy chicken salad upon crackers ---along with fresh sliced strawberries, and muffins – which we never got around to, we were too full!

sewday 012

And being the mother of sons who play copious amounts of baseball, and it IS baseball season – she had to ditch out at 2pm to go play “shuttle bus” driving home to Lewisville to go get a van full of kids to drive them all the way back to Kernersville where the game is this afternoon. Kernersville is fairly close to me --- so I told her to not worry, I’d baby-sit the machine and finish the last few rows on the quilt, and bring it out to Kernersville during the game so she can get started on the trimming and binding tonight.

Here it is off the machine….isn’t it PERFECT for a young man? I think even the big ones would love it. Solid fabrics are SO graphic..and I love the texture of the quilting:

sewday 013

For those asking, this is a pantograph called “Storm Watch.” I tried googling “Storm Watch Panto” and got weather channels…..but not the designer! Oh Bother ----I’m sure if you do some searching you can find it, it’s a great one for a masculine looking quilt, and if you do find it, let me know so I can update the info here.

Thanks to those who persevered and found the link for me! You can find the panto HERE --it's the 4th item down the page!

sewday 014

We did the happy dance of joy when we advanced the quilt to reach that center square!

sewday 015

I love the texture of the quilting on the border --- this is Signature Variegated thread --- the color is Butter Toffee.

Of course, I tried to google "Signature Thread Butter Toffee" and THIS is what came up:

77906_100_1866_users

Which is not what I was looking for, but hey I’ll take it! LOL!

I worked on my Jubilee blocks a bit --- 3 more bonus ones to go to be completely caught up, and hope to be able to upload that later --- but right now....I’m off to Kernersville to go deliver a quilt!

17 comments:

  1. I found the panto here: http://www.quiltersniche.com/LinePages/Swirls-Curls-2.htm When googling, quote (") the phrase to keep the words together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathie, did you find an item number for that panto? I went to your link and it brings up ribbons and curls and can't find it ? Thanks.
    This is a great panto for the guys quilts.
    And that is a beautiful quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiledarlin - If you go to that link and page down, it's the 4th item, SCF-133.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SQUEEE!!!!! Bonnie you are the bestest bestest BEST!! Will is going to flip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Footnote: he grinned very big and said," Whoa...that's boss!!" :)

      Then he asked if I could finish all of the binding tonight (not quite dear!)

      Thanks again Bonnie!! :D

      Delete
  5. That is a great guy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. having 3 members of the family as purdue grads, that is the first thing i thought of when i saw this quilt.....it just needs trains for the quilting....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:21 PM EDT

      That's what I said when I first saw it!! Sooo Purdue!!
      Bev (kwiltpharm@aol.com)

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:11 PM EDT

    The quilt is now frosted and will look fantastic washed, dried and crinkled! The pattern instantly reminds me of a Deb Geissler pattern called, "Flames 3 E2E" very similiar anyway. If this was a free pattern with your computerized machine it should be at the website of "downloads." Did that make sense? Anyway....looks great! I just love the texture that quilting gives these simple quilts!! The other kids are going to be envious of his quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT quilt for a guy! How nice of you to help her do the quilting. Why can't we live closer?? I've got a couple of tops which could use your magic touch! (and beautiful quilting!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie - this is unrelated to your post today - just wanted to say thank you - for years I have had accuracy problems - struggled to make things come out to size - tried being more "scant" - bought the special foot - still struggled - sometimes accurate, sometimes too small - always too small...Then I read your post about cutting - and putting the ruler 'on' the fabric, not 'next to' the fabric..........I HAVE ACCURACY!!!! and I don't have to hold my neck sideways to get it.... just cut properly. It had never occurred to me to question my cutting technique - THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! that is one great quilt! my guess is that wherever this quilt goes, you'll be taking orders for 'one just like it' from now until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband went to Wake for grad school and I can think of so many people who would love this! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like working with solids because I get kind of bored, but they really do make a striking quilt. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out so cool!

    Man, I thought I was doing good to bring Dewey's out to Quiltville. Karen is the best, isn't she? Glad y'all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a stunning quilt - the colours and quilting pattern are striking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my good friends lives in Kernersville - didn't know you were so close!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)