>>>>

Thursday, April 14, 2011

It’s Arriving!


At my Wallingford CT Workshop a few days ago, Tracey brought in her “Hot out of the mail box” issue of Quiltmaker Magazine!

It’s as surprising to me as it is to you which block turns out in which issue of Quiltmaker…I sew enough blocks for a full year at one time, and send in the batch, and it is up to the design girls there to decide which block goes in which issue! When I saw this one in the May/June issue, it was like revisiting a fun friend---I remembered instantly how much I want to make this into a full sized quilt!

Turns out that the Addicted to Scraps block this month is PERFECT for using a lot of odds and ends, and the scraps are flying! Doesn’t this block just SHOUT spring to you? I know it does to me.

wallingfordct2011 027

What I love about this block is how graphic it is – SEW SIMPLE—But it really packs a lot of motion! It’s a two bell block for me because it used strips in 2 different sizes, both stuff from the 1.5” bin, and the 2” bin as well.

I used the companion angle ruler to cut my quarter square triangles for the hour glass blocks from 2” strips…I didn’t have to cut into yardage or FQ’s at all for this block! Just pull strips and go!

QMMP-110600-SCRAP_layout_200

This graphic is small, but it shows you what happens when you put the blocks side by side….I was thinking you could even add another sashing (1.5” cut would be great) and some cornerstones for punch, and there would be ZERO matching of seams other than those sashings to cornerstones as you put the rows together.

The whole May/June issue is great, and you won’t want to miss out on it….I posted earlier about the king sized Blue/White quilt I have in there…..of course now I’m thinking how pretty it would be in Red/White since I’ve been drooling over all the Red/White quilts from the show in NYC a couple weeks ago.

wallingfordct2011 029

Soon, Very soon --- We’ll have the 100 Blocks by 100 designers, Vol 3 being released! You’ll want to stay tuned for that too, because I’ll be participating in the blog hop, and hosting a give away of that delicious issue, soon to hit the news stands!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 AM EDT

    Thanks for posting the layout using the Happy Hour quilt. When I received the magazine last week, I couldn't quite picture how a quilt would look. I would probably add the sashing and corner stones to reduce matching the seams. It's a great block and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I squealed with delight when I saw not 1 but 2 articles by you. Can't wait to start both projects. Say...how do you send in blocks for the magazine? Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so right about the red and white for that quilt, it would be stunning. And I am so jealous of ANYONE that got to go to that show in NY. It must have been heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them both - and you are right - Lady of Lake Erie would be awesome in red and white. One more project to add to the to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blue and white quilts so the Lady of the Lake quilt is gorgeous to me. The LOTL I made is in pinks and browns. So far this morning this is the 3rd Lady of the Lake quilt I've seen posted online. Unusual, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to see your work in a magazine must be!

    I'm having to chant under my breath NOT to start another quilt until I finish the ones I have in progress already... *lol* Esp the Lady of Lake Erie... I love blue & white anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did some block testing for Vol 3 and can say there will be many fun blocks! I am in the mood to do a Red & White too. cw

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my issue a couple of days ago and the next morning woke up dreaming about the blue/white one, and have been plotting and planning ever since. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your Happy Hour block when I saw it, and I'm debating hour glass cornerstones, or just going for it and doing hour glass sashing! I tested for Vol 3 QM 100 blocks too, and there will be good stuff in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh darn it I had the issue with me yesterday to show you!
    Thanks so much for a terrifically fun workshop Bonnie! I was just thrilled to meet you and look forward to visiting on the web and watching your continued success.

    Happy spring and Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely LOVE this new block - perfect scrapbuster :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)