>>>>

Friday, April 15, 2011

Playing in Poughkeepsie!


I arrived in Poughkeepsie, NY Wednesday afternoon! It wasn’t that far of a drive from Trumbull, CT—and I enjoyed the scenery immensely! I did arrive to my hotel a bit too early for housekeeping to have my room ready, so a quick check on TomTom directed me to the nearest shopping mall. I figured I could get some lunch and walk the mall to stretch my legs.

In other words ----WELCOME to AMERICA---Where all malls are the same, with the same stores in nearly the same layout! However, since it was raining, it was the perfect place to be, and I walked for a bit over an hour…window shopping and listening to my ipod as I went!

At one end of the mall were these lovely kiddie carts:

poughkeepsieny2011 006

It’s been a long time since my children were small enough to ride in such strollers----I don’t think I EVER paid money to rent a stroller, it was bring your own, or don’t go! As I walked past though, something caught my eye as funny:

poughkeepsieny2011 005

Can you see what this says? “DO NOT PUT CHILD IN BAG?!?” Things that make you go HUH!!!!!!?????? First off….before there even WAS this warning on the stroller, there had to be some crazy mother somewhere who DID put her child in that bag, to even warrant such a warning! What kind of mothers ARE these!? I hope I never find out…but then on second thought, I can imagine a mother with a crying child who is throwing a baby breakdown from WANTING to ride in the bag! Isn’t that the way it goes? They always want what they can’t have.

Also through the mall hung signs that the strollers were not allowed on the escalators. I don’t even want to think of the incidents that made THOSE signs a necessity!

Today’s Nine Patch Split/Bricks in the Barnyard workshop went well! What a great group of ladies….they sewed and sewed and sewed some more. One of the students even went to WORK at 5am, so she could leave at 9am…and only have to consider it a “half-day” away from her job. We Quilters are a tough bunch, and we will do what we have to to make the best use of our “Mental Health” Days!

This class has two parts ---the blocks, which focus on the use of bricks, squares, and half square triangles using the easy angle ruler---and the braid border! The border can be built as leaders & enders while the blocks are in progress and it’s a double win!

These photos show a lot of progress in both areas!

The rain did decide to clear up, and the day dawned bright with sunshine—which left us a couple of hours between the workshop and dinner to go do some exploring!

poughkeepsieny2011 041

Donna was my tour guide, and she drove me to the Walkway bridge that spans the Hudson river!

I love this description written by Ian Frazier:

February 28, 2011

Go to Poughkeepsie. By train is probably best. Get off at the station, look up. In one direction is the Mid-Hudson Bridge, a suspension bridge with cars and trucks on it. Not that bridge, the other bridge - look in the opposite direction, north, two hundred and twelve feet in the air. The other bridge is the former Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge, which was the longest cantilevered and truss-span bridge in the world when it was completed, in 1888. In its life, this bridge has been "the only" or "the most" in several categories. Right now, according to Walkway Over the Hudson, the nonprofit organization that recently restored it, it is the longest elevated pedestrian bridge in the world.

This was my first view of the bridge…..it pretty much looks like a sidewalk….with tall railings. Not scary to walk at all!

poughkeepsieny2011 047

But the views are spectacular!

poughkeepsieny2011 042

This is the view toward the south, the mid Hudson bridge….it was such a lovely afternoon!

poughkeepsieny2011 043

My view of Poughkeepsie from the bridge, around the 1/2 way mark. You can’t see it in this picture, but we watched some sculling boats down below…..there were some on either side of the bridge in the water!

poughkeepsieny2011 050

Our dinner also gave us a view of the mid Hudson bridge from the patio area—I really enjoyed the views!

poughkeepsieny2011 049

This is the view southward from the restaurant patio……I can see why the mighty Hudson has played such an important part in history here!

I’m off to Kingston NY this morning. My time in NY is winding down, and I’ve really had a great time spending the days and evenings well in the care of friendly quilters!

13 comments:

  1. Love history of the Hudson River and it's beauty. Miss that part of the state since I live in NY most of my life. I have family in Kingston. Relatives of the old owners of the Big Cow display in town. Owned the Deli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures you post of all the classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00 AM EDT

    Really love this blog entry. Looks like you had a great day. Glad I could be a part of it. -- Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply love all your postings of your pictures, both quilting and your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, you must be the happiest woman alive! Reading your posts always make me smile and want to be you. I love reading about your adventures and how you always find such joy in everyday things. And I do really love the pictures from the classes. You are just so Real and so one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh at the sign on the stroller. When our second child followed the first by only 20 months (a very long time ago!) we had a single stroller, twin stollers wer all but unheard of unless you had twins that long ago. I used to put our daughter's infant seat in the basket behind her older brother. When #3 arrived 10 months later, we just didn't go places that required a stroller!

    Love the Hudson river pictures! The workshop looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie,
    As I was just now reading Material Obssession's blog I saw Roll Roll Cotton Boll being featured. If you get a chance check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, I'm so sorry I missed you in Poughkeepsie! I rarely go to the mall, but took the same photo that you did:

    http://higheredhands.blogspot.com/2009/07/words-to-live-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I worked for IBM I spent quite a lot of time in both Poughkeepsie and Kingston. That was a long time ago. I love the Nine Patch Split progress photos. Looks like they had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another wonderful visit, beautiful place and quilting.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! We have family in Poughkeepsie (and Kingston, and Glasco) and my grandparents were members of the church that is right there at one end of the bridge.
    We just walked the bridge for the first time last summer after my grandmother's funeral. It is such a beautiful, peaceful way to spend the afternoon.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness Bonnie, I always love reading about your adventures. How much do I wish I was over there to do one of your workshops and sightsee along with you!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the pix of the Hudson River valley. I moved from the areas 13 years ago and my heart still longs fro the area at times (not Winter!).

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)