>>>>

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Where the Fog Nestles -


Early morning, Highway 421 toward Boone, NC yesterday on our way to Hubster Dave's doc appointment.

I don't knot if you can see it off to the right - that white area?  

One of my favorite things about living in the Blue Ridge mountains is the magical fog that tucks itself in and around the hills and hollers like a fluffy white blanket.

There is something comforting about morning fog in the fall.

It's time for pulling out the warmer clothes (I've got my new cute ankle boots on this morning that I bought back in August.  YAY!) and planning for the pumpkin-spice-everythings that flavor the season.

Sweater weather! 

Adding that 3rd quilt to the bed, more for the weight of coziness than for the warmth I need - and then kicking one leg out of the covers half-way through the night because I'm too hot.

Relatable?  


The fog was all gone of course by the time we we turned - I took this photo around 9am on our return drive toward Jefferson NC.

Look at that sky!  And many leaves haven't turned yet - if they even will?  It seems this year in the aftermath of hurricanes that the leaves are just dropping as they are and giving up.

Several have asked how the ponies up at Grayson Highlands State Park fared through the storm.  I knew the ponies would be fine - it was those still hiking the Appalachian Trail that I was more concerned about, but I haven't heard anything about stranded hikers.

This notice cake from the Virginia State Parks yesterday:

Due to road closures on US-58, the only access to the park for the foreseeable future is via Rt. 600 from Chilhowie Exit 35, from Interstate 81. Please be aware that this route includes two sections of long, straight pulls of significant grade that may be difficult for vehicles towing large campers.

The park is under a boil water notice for all water sources in the park pending additional testing.

In other words - "We can't get there from here."  Hwy 58 is closed between where we live, or the inn, and the park.  That's the section where we got stuck between falling trees, and Dave was hit by  a falling tree as we tried to get ourselves out of there.  

So it's likely that we won't have any retreaters hiking to see ponies until spring.  It makes me sad - but it's a small inconvenience compared to everything else.

So instead - we turn back to quilting:


And folks are cranking out finishes!


Check out the turtle fabrics!  SO CUTE!

Lisa of Bearhug Quiltworks is the group mom for the Muddy Creek Misfits and she is working on Samples for Hoffman for Quilt Market coming up in Houston.  It's always a crunch this time of year to get her samples ready for their booth.

The fabrics will be available for shops to order at Market, and will be delivered to the shops in the spring.  

This quilt pattern is available however - it's called Pinnies and is a great one for showcasing focal fabrics with larger prints that you have a hard time cutting up.  They shine here.


And this top finish!


Here's the pattern.  It's called Garden by Deborah Fisher.


Chicken quilt awaiting binding!


There are loads of projects just getting underway - this is Muriel's block in progress - Sew Kind of Wonderful quilt pattern.


SO Many Tiny Stars!


I can't wait to see what this becomes!


There is a lot of strippy sewing going on here!


Ann finished this one for a donation quilt.

FUN!

(We all laughed how it nearly matched her shirt.  LOL!)


Must. Stop. For. Lunch!

Quiche, berries, sald, and cornbread.  MMMMM!


As for me - I've been in the binding zone.  Once again, you never know how that "why do I still have this?" fabric can pull everything together at the right place, right time.

The binding fabric on Waterford is an old Cranston/VIP.  And I love how it looks here.  It couldn't have been more perfect o use as binding. 

I was thinking about this quilt as I was binding it - all of those scraps that became squares and triangles in the blocks.  How many yards of navy blue did I use?  Neutrals?  And the blues on the back?

I think it's not that far off to think it was likely about 9 yards of blue all together including the back?  So about 3-4 yards also of neutral?

So I used up roughly 10 to 12 yards in the quilt total for a quilt that measures about 80'' square. Does that sound about right?

Did it make a dent in anything?  Doubtful.

Cnn I at least close the blue strip drawer a bit more easily?  That's a NO.  LOL!

At any rate, be watching for the Waterford quilt pattern to be available come February.  I know that feels like a long way off, but it will be here before we know it and we have other things to keep us going until then.


Evening hoop time.

Little by little.  This is getting there, but it's likely this one won't make a pattern appearance until May. Maybe April - There will be many hours of hand quilting time ahead through the cold winter months and my plan is to have this one done by the time "Flag Season" starts by Memorial Day.


Meanwhile from the inn - Lisa is sending me these photos of the northern lights captured by her phone. Super cool!


Caturday!

This is Lola in the sunny spot from the sliding glass door at the back of my basement studio. 

It's caturday and she knows it.

So what's up for today?  More slow down.  More being intentional about where I spend my time doing what.

More visiting, connecting, stitching, and sharing yummy food.

More afternoon time on the back porch as long as we can - it's too cold for breakfasts out there anymore, but late afternoon is lovely.

How about you? What's up for your weekend?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

There is magic and wonder all around if we just take time to appreciate the little things!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone -


 

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 AM EDT

    My friend Carol and I are go to Valley Quilters of Tusc County Quilt show in New Phipadelpjia, Ohio. Love a short road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 AM EDT

    I have wondered about the through hikers also. No one has mentioned them. Hopefully they got notifications and were able to get off the trail when all the rain started. I'm sure some of their shelters got damaged and just hope no one was in them at the time..
    Robin N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola is a Beauty. How are the dogs doing?
    I went up north to visit quilt shops. Had fun yesterday. So many out of staters leaf peeping. Even as far away as California and Arizona.
    Happy sewing.
    Have a Sparkling day

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a 2nd day retreating with Quilt Guild friends. Making more Indigo Way blocks and a Christmas project. Left my Essential Triangle Tool home yesterday so will get more blocks cut to sew up today. Packed and ready set go! Using up a lot of oldies in my Mystery Quilt. Counting days tip Colors are posted for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorraine Mooney11:17 AM EDT

    I went to college in the Hudson Valley area of New York. Many mornings I saw the ground fog nestled in the valleys between the mountains. It was gorgeous! Looked like the mountain tops were little islands in a frothy sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:26 AM EDT

    I have a QOV binding going right now. Plans to start some improv piecing this weekend for pillow tops. So much more that I could be doing but I am satisfied. I always enjoy the quilt parades of your Inn guests. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm putting my bedroom back together after dragging everything out of our closets.....UGH what a job! ( sure beats losing everything in a flood or tornado) DH and I had the room and closets painted, now sorting clothes and making my room cozy again. They'll be some evening binding going on though :0)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)