>>>>

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Antiquing Day!


We'd set a time for a 10am departure with b oth Cindy and Martha meeting me at the QPO Studio.

We waved off Hubster Dave and SOn Jeff who were busy with some winterizing and some re-leveling of the back pavers path the lead from the unloading zone to the back porch steps (Gotta keep the good men busy!) and off we went.

Destination?  N. Wilkesboro NC!

There are a couple of antique malls worth wandering that are just across the street from one another, and a good place for lunch within walking distance of both.

And Halloween decor was in full form - some vintage (fun) Some made in China....(eh?) but all colorful enough to enhance our fall moods.


I love it when dealers take enough pride in their booths to realize that presentation is EVERYTHING and sometimes less really IS more.


Sweet dresden plate applique worked in black buttonhole stitch hanging on the wall by a beautiful china cupboard.


This one - definitely worth unfolding!


Scrap bag square in a square units -

I love the upper left with 2 pink corners, a stripe and a neutral. 

You can tell her scrap bag held limited variety from articles of clothing she had likely made herself, and these scraps were coming together in this quilt no matter how they had to fit together.


I love all of the plaids.

And the cranberry striped sashing?  Did she buy that especially for this quilt or was it once intended to be a dress or a skirt and she used it here instead?  I love to wonder about things like this.


Cutter quilt turned cute pillow.


Double wedding ring on an old painted trunk.


Several of the found quilts were double-knit and tied. That's just how things were done in the 70s and 80s.  And yes - loads of crocheted afghans made with Red Heart acrylic yarn.  Those things will never wear out.


1940s yoyo.

Some items were folded and tucked behind and hard to get at - not to mention no place to lay them out for full view, so I just took photos where they were.

Anyone want to tell the dealer that they are showing the backside of the quilt here?  I think the ruched side is the front.


Giant rolling stone blocks in this one -


Great fabrics!


And a lovely piano for good measure just because.

I can imagine a piano like this having a place at the inn at some point in the inn's history.


Afghans, Afghans, Afghans everywhere!


And more!


I did like these Sunbonnet Sues.

Someone really put their mind to it to draft this pattern.


Chunky churn dashes - and some mod Sues!

Those Sues look to be 1960s fabric - and someone loved their zig-zag machine!


Sweet butterfly applique - 1930s.


So cute!


Weird thing of the day -

Just....immediately NO.


These things came home!

I fell in love with the hand painted Blue Ridge Pottery serving bowl.  The tea canister has already been put to work holding some loose leaf tea in my kitchen.

The Looney Toons glasses?  Those are for Hubster Dave who has reminisced about them several times in the past and I finally caved to get him a couple.  He remembers them vividly from his childhood.

I'm not saying there is going to be an official collection - but these two sure made him smile and he deserves it after the past couple of weeks.


I finished off the evening by putting some more fans into my star quilt. I'm headed up the 4th side of the 3rd round of fans in.  

I love this part...working my way toward the center the rounds get smaller and smaller and quicker progress is made.

Long winter nights ahead - I'll get this done by spring. I know I will.

Temps are just above freezing this morning.  The Brown Bird Bee is on the way to Quiltville Inn from Northern Virginia, arriving this afternoon.

There are a few things I need to do - recover the pressing stations with new freezer paper, finishing touches - but it won't take too long.

Up on deck?  Likely cutting the sashings and pulling together cornerstones for my County Clare Leader & Ender quilt.


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

It's still an unpredictable wild ride with crazy turns and plot twists!

What will you get up to today?

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!


 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:10 AM EDT

    And did you notice the woven chair seat under the cutter quilt pillow! I love to live vicariously through your antiquing visits. I remember a tea canister just like that in my house when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:19 AM EDT

    I have the same set of canisters (in my storage building) as your tea canister. We had these when I was growing up! I think I will take out the tea canister and use it too. Smithcindyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool aluminium canister! The glasses for Dave are too. Sweet bowl. Wow! That piano.
    Halloween is almost here.
    Can't wait.
    Sunny here today but only in the 50's for a high ..
    Have a Sparkling day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:32 AM EDT

    I love it when you go antiquing. The tea canister brought back many memories. My mom had the whole set. I remember it well growing up.

    Mary in Florida (trying to recover from Milton)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:35 AM EDT

    Your post this morning is like watching a show & tell of vintage quilts. Thanks for sharing them with all of us.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother married in 1951 and had the complete canister set just like the Tea one you purchased. Thanks for the nice memories seeing it brought me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like y'all had fun exploring. I agree; that is the back side of the yo-yo quilt. As to the Red Heart yarn never wearing out. Every year I wonder about all the yards and yards of fleece that are purchased and wonder what happens to it, as I believe that is another item that will never wear out!. Thanks for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finds at the antique stores today. Thinking I might have to come that way and check those out!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)