>>>>

Thursday, October 10, 2024

Look What I Can See!


I took this photo last evening as we returned from a trip to town.

The objective was to get Hubster Dave out of the house and relieve his boredom.

I get it.  I remember well the time I broke my foot and was laid up for a while non-weight-bearing.

And then there was the time I twisted my knee in Vietnam and managed to fly home in a full leg brace...fun times!

Now it's his turn.

But I digress.  We have now lost enough leaves that I can see those ridges past the edge of our yard - and more mountain views are appearing to the east as things thin out more.
Quite a bit of leaves were lost during Helene - and my hopes for a pretty and colorful autumn show just may not happen.

It seems that the leaves that managed to stay attached during the storm are now just letting go without turning much color at all.


Who's that we see on the tractor?  You really can't keep a good man down.

Son Jeff, in all of his helpfulness had left the tractor in a spot that was making parking a bit difficult for my arriving quilters.

I went home, grabbed Dave, brought him back to move the tractor (I have never driven it and now is not the time!) and he was able to maneuver it out of the way.  It was good for him to do SOMETHING.  Anything - rather than the sitting around he's been doing.

We even got him to spray down the rollup blinds at the back of the porch with some stuff to keep the stink bugs and mud daubers from nesting in the rolled up blinds.

I had unrolled them yesterday afternoon to shade the porch only to find them full of bugs. Yuck. 

Dave to the rescue - just give him things that he CAN do.  He needs something to do.

This next photo comes with a warning.  I didn't post any photos of his head injury when it happened.  But now that it is mostly healed and the staples are out - I think you can get a good idea of what kind of bad place we were in when he got hit by the tree.  Scroll fast if you don't want to see it.


The tree scalped him.  I told him the tear looks like the top part of a heart.

He said - it looks like a butt.  Humor as always.  All of that skin was flayed back exposing his skull.  It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced.

But again - such a miracle that he wasn't hurt worse, and that he had no intracranial bleeding or vertebrae fractures.

The tree simply grazed off his head tearing his scalp with it and hit him on the shoulder knocking him to the ground.

So what else was on my plate yesterday?


I spent most of my time in between getting the inn decorated for Halloween at my desk - getting ready for the release of Ladder Star!  That is happening on October 18th.


It's a perfect quilt for fall!

And yes, there will be a gift-away.  I'll be drawing for two winners who will each receive a Ladder Star PDF pattern from me, and a neutrals fabric roll from Cotton to Quilts.  

Be looking for that to happen NEXT Friday.

And a reminder - tomorrow morning I'm taking Dave to an early morning doc appt in Boone, so there will not be a Friday blog happening tomorrow. We'll catch up on Saturday.

Until he can drive himself this is kind of where life is.  I'm going back and forth and taking him to where he needs to go. 


This morning from the porch.

My thoughts are with friends and family in Florida as Milton barrels through.

I just can't imagine.  I have no words.

I plan on spending the day working on the binding for Waterford, just enjoying the company of the Muddy Creek Misfits.

I am forcing a slow-down weekend on myself.

What's going on in your world?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

If you know how ridiculous and damaging it is to expect perfection from yourself -

Don't do that to anyone else either!

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone.


 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:17 AM EDT

    Well written. So glad Dave is improving. Like you, prayers are with those in FL..it looks terrible. No quilting today…working on hats for those in NC mountains…getting chilly there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:35 AM EDT

    So happy he was not hurt more. I know how you feel being the driver. My husband fell and broke his femur. he has a long recovery and praying for no more surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:43 AM EDT

    Wishing Dave a speedy recovery and some calmness for you. What do you suggest washing quilts with? I have some of my sister in laws quilts that got wet in the flooding in NC. Thankfully no mud, just wet. So blessed that the quilts were saved.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)