>>>>

Monday, July 03, 2023

Valley of the Kings Day!


Hot air balloons were ascending into the sky - much bluer now that the remains of the sandstorm the day before our arrival was continuing to clear.

This was a magnificent sight - and I did my best to capture the balloons as they rose from beyond the window of our moving bus.

The time was barely 7am - we had left extra early to try to beat the heat of the day.

And it didn't seem to make much difference.  The sun rose anyway, and beat down on the parched earth.

"Drink more water!" said our Egyptologist guide, Yusef. 


This was my first glimpse of the Valley of the Kings.

The place where, for a period of nearly 500 years from the Eighteenth Dynasty to the Twentieth Dynasty, rock-cut tombs were excavated for pharaohs and powerful nobles under the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt.

There were no shade trees. No water sources.  We really got the true feeling of what it must have been like to be those who built this place in honor of those pharaohs and family members of royalty who are entombed here.


Going down into the tombs.


Wondering in awe at sacred spaces.


We know who the pharaohs were - 

But who were the artisans?


Thousands of years old - and the pigments are still bright!


Many of my group, braving the heat with me.

What an amazing adventure!


If I remember correctly (which is doubtful) this was the tomb of the son of Ramses III.  He died as a young teenager.


We didn't have time to go into ALL of the tombs, but could choose the ones we wanted - some were a bit more difficult to climb down into (and out of) and honestly, with the heat, they all started to run together.


Carved and filled in with pigments.


SO fantastic!


Listening to Yuself with the help of our "whispers"  a listening device with ear buds we wore around our necks so that we could hear his voice no matter where we were as long as we were in range.  The whispers were great when addressing such a large group.


Such a foreboding place!


Entrances look like this on the outside.


We were also told that being able to photograph these tombs was a privilege recently restored after Covid restrictions relaxed as a way to get tourists back to visit Egypt.  Tourism really took a dive all over the world.


It's easy to feel a bit claustrophic in here.


Just wow!


Stepping further back.


I wish I knew all of the stories that these images portrayed.

Some of them were recognizable - almost.


But the 3 headed lizard with legs?


Or the 2 headed snake?

We saw the Ankh symbol everywhere which simply means "Life".



This tomb descends deeper -


Into the end of the chamber.


Figures sitting.


Pigments were mostly gone on this wall.


Can you imagine what it took to paint this ceiling?



I have already forgotten what Yusef told us about the boat images.

Something about floating off into the afterlife.


More boat images on the ceiling.


Scarab, eyes, boat, snake -


Crocodile


Cartouches


Fascinating!

I have always been intrigued by ancient cultures. This was a dream come true for me.  And since coming home I've dug in and looked for more documentaries that I can watch about the the ancient Egyptians and how they lived.

If you are interested, try this one - there is also a part 2 if you click to YouTube to find it.

Click to Play:



It was SO super hot -

But I wouldn't trade this experience for the world!

I hope everyone had a restful weekend.

Today friend Martha is coming over to the QPO so we can load her quilt in the long arm and get it quilted up. She was a great help at the inn while I was gone and I'm excited to see her and spend some time catching up.

What do you have going on for this Monday that feels like it should be part of a long holiday weekend, but isn't for many?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

First things first, second things second.
Put things on the list, cross them off one thing at a time, and don’t forget to BREATHE!
Have a wonderful Monday, everyone!


 

29 comments:

  1. The pictures are beautiful! I wish I had been there, but you showed so much of the tombs. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a trip that was. Your pictures show so much. I will never get there so thank you for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 AM EDT

    Bonnie thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed armchair traveling with you. Now I want to know more as well. I did not know about the paintings on the ceilings and the walls inside the pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hot air balloons were breathtaking! As wonderful as the tombs were, I am afraid I would not be able to go down into them. My claustriphobia would have definitely kicked in. Your pictures were amazing and I will enjoy the visit that way! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:43 AM EDT

    Love the quote today....must incorporate that into my life immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:58 AM EDT

    Bonnie, Thank you for the sharing all of these wonderful pictures. I love learning about ancient Egypt too, but doubt if I'll ever visit. I wilt when it gets above 80 degrees. Excited to see if you are incorporating these beautiful colors into the next mystery quilt. Terri M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a great trip. Love seeing the tombs through your camera lens. Nameless slaves built the tombs, I would think. Extra day in this holiday weekend. Happy 3rd of July. Getting a quilt on in my basement where it's cooler today. Hi, Martha!! You will share her Quilt later, I will be watching for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful pictures of your wonderful journey. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:09 PM EDT

    What an adventure! Expedition Unknown, on Discovery, has some great shows on exploring and searching for tombs and forgotten places in Egypt. Another show to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Bonnie, this is so fascinating! Thank you so much!!! The snakes just slay me! 🤣 I'm wondering if it was a little cooler inside the tombs? Astonishing workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your fabulous experience! Wow! This is something I can only do thru documentaries and you sharing such wonderful pictures. Glad you are home but so happy you could make the journey to far away places and bring it back to share. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent pics Bonnie..
    I feel like I was there.
    Busy cooking this morning before it gets too hot....
    My poor kitty is so afraid of the vacuum I don't know how to break him from the fright.
    Kisses for Zoey and Mabel
    Keep them cool..
    Have a great day 🙏
    Blessings 💞

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:11 PM EDT

    Bonnie, Thank you for all the great photos that you are sharing with us.

    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:16 PM EDT

    Bonnie, magnificent photos, you make us feel like we were right there with you. Thank you. Such a fascinating time of incredible structures. How did they build such grandeur with their hands in those temperatures? Amazing. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:44 PM EDT

    Wow. Wonderful photos from such a great trip. Can't wait to see the Valley of the Kings in October.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As far back as I can remember I wanted to be an archeologist. Your pictures were such an amazement to me! My friend who has been on over 100 cruises, two of them around the world!, said that she would never go back to Egypt because of the extremely high security with men standing around with guns everywhere. It was just too scary for her. I didn't notice one man with a gun in your pictures. Did you see this also? Many thanx for these awesome pictures and explanations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:36 AM EDT

      Hi, Jan. I took my first trip to Egypt in 2005, and like your friend I found the military presence unsettling. I definitely noticed them, but after a while I realized that their posts are more like small mobile police precincts. They tend to be in places likely to be attacked by terrorists: banks, embassies, and tourist sites. I've since taken more than a dozen return trips to Egypt, and it's one of the safest places I've been. Like any big city there are no-go zones in Cairo, but overall the people there are friendly and helpful. Personal crime is so low there, and I've never had a problem as a single female traveler. I hope if Bonnie returns you'll consider going. I think you'll love it! Sorry for the gushing, but I really do like it there and want everyone to experience it. :) Andrea in MO

      Delete
  17. Great photo's. I've enjoyed reading about your experiences. The video was blocked in the UK so couldn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so so much for taking the time to share most of what you have experienced! I absolutely enjoyed seeing the beautiful artwork from so long ago! Today was a day of rest and cleaning up for me, as I spent the weekend binding some small projects. Debating about tackling some scraps, but we'll see! :) Have a happy and safe 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kris in WI9:14 PM EDT

    I kept saying, "Oh, oh, oh," as I scrolled through your pictures! I'm hoping you will find a way to put the blue sky and sand colors together in a quilt and share it with us, too. Thank you for taking us along on your journeys. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kris in WI9:17 PM EDT

    I kept saying, "Oh, oh, oh!" as I scrolled through your pictures of Egypt. Thanks for taking us along on your journey. OH! Neighbor's fireworks are going off already! Have a happy and safe 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous10:34 PM EDT

    Thank you for sharing your photos . It’s like sharing your journey 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos...just like I remembered it from my trip last year. If you ever want to see more Egyptian artifacts, there is a plethora of Egyptian things at the Met in NYC. It would take many many days to truly see it all. There is even a temple that was donated to the US after we were one of the many countries that helped save Abu Simbal. This temple would too have been flooded and so the Egyptian government donated it to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Egypt pictures are wonderful. Great color!
    What was I doing? Making a quilt out of donated flannel fabric and high loft poly batting for our charity quilting group to try to sell, to get money to buy more batting for more donation quilts. 59" wide backing, 60" wide "Frankenbat" (by my calculations, I should have had 119 square inches to spare after cutting an L shaped scrap in two plus a little extra from the short arm that got added to the bottom of the two bigger pieces after they were whipstitched together on their respective long sides. What was actually left was a < 1" sliver off the end and a 3" by 10.5" piece!) and a 61" wide quilt top (based on the size of the squares, it should have been 59" wide, but pre-washed flannel stretches, I guess). With some very creative long arming, it wound up a 60" wide quilt with backing under all of it and no extra top to cut off the sides. The high loft batting I don't usually use probably had something to do with the sizes working out, but definitely more fussy detail work than "normal" longarming and more nerve-wracking than binding chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous8:04 AM EDT

    Thanks for your lovely pictures, and sharing your adventures.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous10:05 AM EDT

    I love all your travel photos - so much fun to see different parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your photos - so much fun to see different parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bonnie I was in Egypt in 1980, a different time and place. After my visit I discovered the Elizabeth Peter's novels. She was an Egyptologist and wrote cute, informative murder mysteries set in Egypt in the 1920's and 1930's when they were excavating these places. The Audio books narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt are amazing if you like to listen to audiobooks while you quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous10:21 AM EDT

    The balloon photo from the bus is great! No apologies necessary on that. And I never even thought about or realized that the images in the walls were carved, your photos are the first I've ever seen that show the relief. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)