>>>>

Friday, July 14, 2023

Meanwhile, In Cairo -


Mosques, Citadels and Minarets, Oh My!

As I've been going though photos - trying to get everything in order, there were several excursions within Cairo that I haven't posted yet.

One of the most fabulous was our early morning visit to the Citadel of Cairo and the Great Mosque of Muhammad Ali Pasha also know as the Alabaster Mosque.

The mosque was built in memory of Tusun Pasha, Muhammad Ali's eldest son, who died in 1816.

The beautiful mosque is situated in the Citadel of Cairo and was commissioned by Muhammad Ali Pasha between 1830 and 1848.

Our group is already trying to beat the heat and gathering in the shade!



Citadel wall by bus as we arrived.



Wow.  Large and imposing!


Yusef, giving us one of his engaging history stories about this fabulous place.

In my mind I can still hear him calling "Family!  Family!" encouraging us to gather closer and listen up.  I love that he called us all "Family!" and we felt like it by the time our tour was over.


The citadel itself was built by Salah ad-Din and further developed by subsequent Egyptian rulers. It was the seat of government in Egypt and the residence of its rulers for nearly 700 years from the 13th to the 19th centuries. 700 years is such a long time!


And the beautiful alabaster mosque!


For this visit the women were encouraged to cover our hair as a sign of respect. 

They also suggested skirts or capris that went below the knees and no bare shoulders.

I am all about respecting another's culture and happy to oblige.

This beautiful pashmina scarf was a gift from Jeff's Ashlyn and I love that she wanted me to have it and wear it on this trip.


The courtyard


Vast spaces covered in alabaster!


The mosque was built with a central dome surrounded by four small and four semicircular domes. 


I don't know what this beautiful thing is in the center -

But the artwork is gorgeous!


Close up of detail.


Amazingly beautiful!


My group as Yusef talks on.


There is a monumental tower clock in the middle of the northwestern riwak, which was presented to Muhammad Ali by King Louis Philippe of France around 1836–1840. 

According to Yusef, it is currently only right 2 times a day.  It's not working.  LOL!


More Yusef - he was fantastic!

"Whispers on, Family!"


The cupola of the mosque from the interior.


Central chandelier


Underside of central chandelier.


Interior of Mohammed Ali Mosque.


There was something beyond this screen - was it the tomb of Muhammed Ali Pasha? I don't remember.


My first time in a mosque.

I tried photographing a less people-y place - this photo shows part of one of the smaller domes.


Beautiful stained glass window.


Outside once again - overlooking Cairo from the wall of the citadel.

The sandstorm from a couple days before is still hanging in the air, but things are clearing up.

The sheer size of Cairo was astounding.  I don't know what I was expecting, really, but this many people in one spot is just unfathomable to this little country bumpkin who lives in a place where people are outnumbered by cows.

And just to try to give you the feel of it all, here is a little video.  Click to Play:



I still can't believe I'm here.


And everywhere we went, there were dogs. (And some cats.)

As an animal lover, and believing that dog IS man's best friend - I was so happy to know these dogs are cared for and vaccinated.


They are curious too!


Okay, the one floppy ear slays me!


In the shade of a column.


Who's a good dog?


This little tower overlooking the city was blocked off from access.


It didn't stop selfies from being taken next to it.


And one with the cityscape behind.


One last view before walking back to the bus.

The sky is indeed clearing.


One more pooch with Zoey's coloring.


And nose kissing cats.


May this place stand another 700 years into the future.


Back on our bus -

Trying so hard to catch the perfect photo of the little mini busses I thought were so cute.


This one!  I want this one, please!

Back home in the now - yesterday was spent at my desk getting Monday's Jacob's Chain pattern ready to release!


Almost ready!

Pattern is written, proofed, PDF'd and ready for me to write descriptions and get it uploaded to both the Quiltville Store and the Quiltville Etsy Pattern Shop.

I need to work on some header graphics - I have the weekend to take care of all of that.

I visited with the Pieceful Hearts gals - enjoying lunch with them out on the porch.  And I completely forgot to take any photos of what was going on with the design walls in the Quilting Quarters. LOL!

(This is how I know I am having a good time! Forgetting to take photos and just living in the moment.)

Today - hair cut day, and boy do I need it.

And into the weekend we go!  Do you have any plans for your own Friday at hand?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

It's your life, no one else's. No explanations required!
Weed Whacker quilt! Have you made one yet?
The pattern is found under the Free Patterns tab above.

Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!



 

12 comments:

  1. My goodness ❤️ beautiful pics. The dogs were precious.
    My plan for today is to finish binding my mystery Chilhowie. And label it. Did the back first then flipped it over to the front to sew down. I Will never do it that way again.
    I like to hand sew the binding to the back.
    Take it easy and Blessings 🙏💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those interior photos in particular, they are very atmospheric. I think the marble kiosk in the outer courtyard is to wash your hands and feet before prayers, but I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM EDT

    The structure in the middle is the ablutions dome. Muslims are required to wash before prayers, and this is where they would do it.

    The micro buses are a great way to get around the city. They have prescribed loops they make on the major roads; they don't go door to door like a taxi would. They are super cheap (around 3 pounds depending on distance) since they can take multiple passengers at once, and you never have to wait long for one to come by. You do have to say goodbye to personal space when you're on one, though. LOL

    Andrea in MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My!!!! Such far away places! I am so happy to see your pictures. It just makes it real for me. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Love the quilt. Jacobs Chain is definitely on my to do list. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also want one of those mini buses! Too cute! I really need to go through your patterns again. There are so many to choose from I forget some of them and I need a quilt for my gr'son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:34 PM EDT

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful travel adventures with us! I love all the "girl on the street" photos you are able to take and traveling vicariously thru you is the extent of my travel ability currently... So thank you again for showing me the world, and quilty goodness...always love to see quilty content too!
    Joriece

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying your trip recaps sprinkled in with daily happenings! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been fascinated by Geography - so I had to Google some things!

    Cairo's 2023 population is now estimated at 22,183,200. In 1950, the population of Cairo was 2,493,514. -- 175 sq miles!
    These estimates represent the Urban agglomeration of Cairo, which typically includes Cairo's population in addition to adjacent suburban areas.

    Cairo had an estimated 2016 population as high as 12 million, with a metropolitan population of 20.5 million, which makes it the largest city in Africa and the Middle East, and the 17th largest metro area in the world.
    Cairo itself has a population density of 19,376 people per square kilometer (50,180/sq mi), which ranks 37th in the world.

    So, to compare –
    Oklahoma has a TOTAL STATE population of approximately 4,050,000! - Population per sq mile – 57.7 (69,899 sq miles)! LOL
    Texas total state population is just over 30 million, 268,597 sq miles.
    Houston population is 2.303 million, and 3,664 people per sq mile.

    My mind cannot comprehend the Cairo numbers. What an outstanding experience you had Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, Bonnie! Wonderful photos. I'm in love with Yusef and family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Ashlyn thought to gift that scarf to you. Suchh a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered about the chandeliers, how were they lighted back in the day, or were they built recently? Mind-bending experiences, thank you for posting them. It was so nice to see the dogs so well-cared for, do they have a central feeding area and who is charged with that? where do they sleep at night? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the pictures inside of the Windows. They are so Beautiful. Glad you could honor their Cultures as you toured the area. Those Mini buses, Traffic Jam, lol For me it was a Friday to stay home, but I did run a few errands. Needed a Quilt backing and Christmas fabrics were on sale at LQS.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)