>>>>

Thursday, July 06, 2023

Her Name Was Hatshepsut


If you thought that the title of Pharoah was only bestowed upon men, you would be wrong.

That said, the name Cleopatra may come to mind easily - but have you heard of Hatshepsut?

I hadn't!  Until my friend Terri who was coming along to Egypt with my tour told me about a podcast she listened to and found herself fascinated by the life of Hatshepsut who ruled over Egypt for the span of 18 years.

You can find the podcast entitled The Woman King HERE.


Talk about foreboding and desolate.

The Temple of Hatshepsut is a mortuary temple built during the reign of Pharaoh Hatshepsut of the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt. Located opposite the city of Luxor, it is considered to be a masterpiece of ancient architecture.

This was another "Indiana Jones" type of experience to me.  How many thousands of years has this been here? I looked up the dates just to get a handle on it and found that it was built c.1478/72-1458 B.C.E

Mind blowing.

I did a little video walking up  to the entrance.  Click to Play:


Every day, every place we visited (Sometimes up to 3 sites a day) was like an intense archaeology course and my brain was on overload trying to soak it all in and remember.

I tried putting myself in the place of these people who lived and built these temples and tombs - wondering what their life was like. (You were lucky if you made it past the ripe old age of 45 at that time and a simple tooth abscess could kill you.)


There is something that resonates when standing in ancient spaces.


Hatshepsut’s temple was well situated up against the sandstone mountains to escape rock slides.


And one time all of these statues and columns would have been painted - a bright oasis in a sand-colored world.


Who were the artisans who carved these statues posed as sentinels?


Some painting and color remains.


I wonder how long it took artisans to carve and paint these walls?


Motifs I noticed in several temples and tombs - stars on the ceilings.  Which makes me wonder if they enjoyed calm nights looking out at the moon and the stars as I do.


Wall before one chamber.


This guy means business!

Actually they were quite friendly and would take a photo for you posing in front of something for a mere $1.00 courtesy fee.  Some of the best photos were gained that way.


So much to be interested in!


Beverages, anyone?

Yes, please - it's super hot in here!


Some figures were so large that I had no choice but to take vertical photos (Which I don't like to do!)


Between the columns.


How hot was it?


You can't see the sweat running down the back of my neck?


Excavation and gathering of stones still on-going.


If you look at the far right - see how they've put pieces together that fit together?

It's a big puzzle. More to be reconstructed.

That's a huge leg of a statue also at the far right!


I love the feminine faces!


More at the top of the columns here.


If we did a mystery quilt from these colors it would be sand, sand, more sand, and blue.


You can barely see the image of  Khonsu

As the moon god, Khonsu was the embodiment of the crescent moon's light. During the new moon, he was considered a mighty bull, but during the full moon, he was considered a neutered bull. Khonsu was supposedly powerful against the evil spirits in the world.


Some color still remains here.


Did I mention it was bloody hot? Whew!


A close up of one of the sphynx's.


Dog gone hot!

That's another thing.  I took more photos of dogs (And a few cats) than I did of temples and tombs. LOL!

In Egypt all of the "street" dogs are well cared for - vaccinated and watched after.  You know my dog-loving heart wanted to love on them all and take them all home.

I loved this part of our journey.  And I'm still fascinated by Hatshepsut's reign.  Give that podcast a listen to if you have a chance. It's so good!

As for me, back in my home stomping grounds in real time - yesterday was my visit to OrthoCarolina for the results of my MRI.

I've got a meniscus tear requiring surgery.  We kind of guessed as much because it's been 2 months and I'm still struggling and dealing with pain and weakness.

At this point I'm living "appointment to appointment" and my appointment with the surgeon is next Tuesday.  We'll get that surgery scheduled and get me on the mend.

As the doc explained a few different options yesterday - I cut in and said "I'm an active person.  I should be out hiking with my dogs - and I've been dealing with a knee support sleeve and doing the bare minimums with much discomfort, swelling, aching and pain for 2 months.  This is affecting my quality of life.  If I were your mother, what would you suggest for me?"  

And he said "We need to do the surgery."  So there we are.


Since I was up in Boone for this appointment, there was no reason NOT to find a bit of enjoyment wandering an antique mall - and yes, this HAD to come home.  My granny had one just like it.

It's a little powder box, and I adore the porcelain flowers on the top. $5.00??  Sold!


ALMOST bought this.  LOL!

Today - Judy's Quilters are arriving from Mississippi this afternoon and I can't wait to welcome them fully.  No Welcome-ish.  

Things are about to be really busy here as every week is fully booked through the first week of September when I leave for Poland.

Today I'm also working on getting this year's Leader & Ender challenge ready to release tomorrow.  If it's not quite ready, we'll shoot for Saturday, but it's coming - thank you for your patience!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

The distance between dreams and reality is called action!

Vintage quilt found in Kentucky.
Time to get moving! Have a wonderful Thursday, everyone!


 

22 comments:

  1. Fascinating and beautiful ❤️
    So much to see in Egypt.
    Here's hoping your surgery next week goes well
    Don't worry about the new L/E
    It will get posted when you have the time, no hurry there.
    I bought the Juki in your shop, I hope to love it as you do yours. Thank you.
    Take it easy
    Enjoy the day.
    Blessings 💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, blessings on the dr. to schedule you so quickly... what with one thing and another tests and a poor cardiologist, it's been since February to get ,scheduled scjedi;ed for a bi lateral mastectomy! I'm going Monday!!! big sigh of relief... thank God for your physician who took you at your word, LISTENED to his patient and treated you like his mother!!! huzzah, and happy healing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I saw your post and wanted to wish you well. I am a breast cancer survivor in Aotearoa New Zealand. I hope you heal quickly and can live life to the fullest once more.

      Delete
  3. ps: love your egypt pics, wonder what the climate was like there nearly 4000 years ago... ??? wonder how they could manage to live there... thank you, a-gain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a suggestion for a series of historical fiction books about Egypt for you to listen to when you're recovering from knee surgery & quilting, of course. I listened to them as I drove and drove and drove our son from swim practice and swim meets back in the day. They kept me awake, taught me a lot, and I even answered a lot of Egypt questions correctly on Jeopardy! It's called the Amelia Peabody series of books by Elizabeth Peters; the reader, Barbara Rosenblat, is fantastic!
    https://greatbritishbookclub.com/all-of-elizabeth-peters-amelia-peabody-books-in-order/
    https://www.audible.com/ep/narrator-barbara-rosenblat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have listened to the Amelia Peabody series at least twice and never tire of it. Only listen to those narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, she bring Egypt to life in such a fantastic way. I whole-heartedly agree with Ms. Amy's recommendation to listen to this series of audiobooks. Be sure to start at the beginning and go for it.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:20 AM EDT

      The author, Elizabeth Peters has a PhD. in Egyptology so she knows her stuff on Egypt.

      Delete
  5. I have heard of Hatshepsut! Fascinating figure from history. Thanks for sharing your visit! Sorry to hear that you need surgery, but hoping it solves the problem so you can get back to doing what you do. Looking forward to seeing this year's L/E project whenever it's ready to post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quotation today! And I hope surgery will solve your knee pain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy Berry11:40 AM EDT

    What an amazing trip! I have been enjoying the Amelia Peabody mysteries set in early 20th century Egypt by Elizabeth Peters - you might enjoy them. Thanks for showing us pictures! cmberry@lsu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not many Women were bestowed the power of the Pharoah! Thanks for sharing her name. It looks as HOT as it was. Glad that you were candid with the Orthopedic guy. Leader/Ender for me can't begin until next week anyway, no hurry. Busy weekend for these old folks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:57 AM EDT

    If time-travel were a "thing", ancient Egypt would be my destination. So many mysteries, so many questions. Thank you for sharing your travels with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tour of the queen pharaoh today was very interesting. I am not a good heat person and appreciate so much watching it this way vs. being there as you were. What a beautiful little powder box! They made things that ladies used so pretty in the "old" days, didn't they? Take care with your knee. Hope the surgeon can fit you in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating! Best of luck w your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I'm so sorry the knee is still hurting you. Hopefully the surgery can be done with a laparoscope and you can heal quickly! You were a trooper to continue on through three more trips after VietNam! -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:13 PM EDT

    Bonnie, I love all the photos from your trips. This is for you: My husband had a meniscus tear and had surgery March 3, 2023. He did great! The problem is, the meniscus has NO Blood flow and heals VERY slowly. It takes a few months to heal and you really have to take care of it. USE a walker and do NOT overdo it. You cannot "hurry up" the healing process here. I am praying you do good and get it fixed ASAP so you can go on your next trip. LOVE your posts! Diane Howell (Nauvoo, AL)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bonnie, I enjoy seeing your travel pictures and reading your Blog. Good luck with your surgery on your meniscus. I had surgery for it and healed pretty quick. Hopefully, you'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:13 PM EDT

    Thank you so much for sharing your photos of your travels. I have enjoyed them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:15 PM EDT

    Bonnie, I love this! I do know who Hatshepsut was. My “final” for my high school speech class was a 20-minute presentation on her. This was in 1973 and we didn’t have PowerPoint but we did have overhead projectors and I had books from the library that I used to enhance my talk. She was a very interesting woman and tall for her time; 5’6” so towered over most of the men! And yes, I received an A on my final. Paula Somers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Get that repair scheduled ASAP! I had a medial meniscus tear 2 years ago that was surgically cleaned up and have been fine since. The first night was very painful after the anesthetic wore off, bur was able to fully walk on it from day 1. I am 2 years to the day younger than you, but you are in much better weight than I. You will do fine and have nothing to worry about. Only thing I can't do is kneel on that knee. Healing thoughts sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:00 PM EDT

    Bonnie, I’ve torn meniscus in both knees and my surgeon who repaired my torn rotator cuff did a great job on both knees….I was amazed how quickly after surgery I could turn over in bed in the middle of the night with no pain!! Yes, the healing process takes time. Follow the surgeon’s healing words and you will be dog walking before you know it. Thank you so much for the Egypt tour, you took the heat right out for all of us! 🥰
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:46 AM EDT

    I saw an exhibit at the Kimball Art Museum about those who built the pyramids. The names of some of the artists and carvers are knows from clay tablets that recorded payroll. There are also clay records of the housing and the growing of food in the villages that were built around the construction sites.
    C Jordon

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)