>>>>

Saturday, July 01, 2023

Gone To Giza!


"Pyramids Day" was a long awaited and looked forward to day for my Egypt group - me included!

I mean, when someone thinks EGYPT - what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Can you really grasp the concept of 2550 - 2490 BC?

And they made these incredible structures that have withstood nearly 5,000 years?

I felt like I was touching the ancients.

And once again the timeline of my own life is such a narrow blip on the history of this planet.


I've experienced many wonders of the world with these two - and so happy to have Lani and Jean along to touch the pyramids at Giza!


Just how big are those stones?

About THIS big!


And they go way up there!


I was surprised that they were so porous looking.


And massive!


And it was SO HOT!

But that is part of the whole Egypt immersion experience.


And as one must - photos with camels happened!


The knee was still giving me issues at this time, being only 3 1/2 weeks out from my injury in Vietnam, so I opted not to ride.

Getting on wouldn't be much of an issue, but getting off...it would have been an up - over-down kind of motion and I just felt like my knee was too vulnerable for that.

But this camel photo will do the trick! (The eyelashes slay me!)



Trying to get a photo without a gazillion people?

Nearly impossible - but I did it!


Our group gathering to move on over to see the Sphynx.


With pyramids still in view.


At one time the large pyramid was completely covered in alabaster - now only a bit of it remains to be seen at the top.


I stood here with the remains of the ancients.

Such an amazing feeling.

With the dry heat so oppressive, I gave up on the neck fan thing. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but imagine having two hairdryers on blast pointed at your face in a dry heat.  Nope!  

My best option was a hand towel I kept wet - folded and placed at the back of my neck.

Always keep a hat on, and drink drink drink.


Bad photo with a great view!

We were always grateful for lunch stops with A/C!  And this view?? Incredible!


Mixed grill with rice and cooked veggies -


And it didn't miss us that the rice was pyramid shaped! LOL! Fun!

Truly, this is one of the best tours I have ever taken.  I learned so much, and I was excited to get out each morning (We started very early to make the best of the coolest part of the day) and see what there was to discover.


Back in real life -

This was the view from my cutting table last evening - all the pretty colors.  (And yes, too small to save.)

You'll be seeing what this ends up being soon!

I hope those of us who are stateside (Or elsewhere and celebrating) have a safe Independence Day weekend/holiday coming up.

Yesterday I changed out some décor at the inn so Judy's Stitchers who are arriving on Thursday can continue their holiday through their retreat time.

It's always un pulling out the red/white/blue quilts and scattering them around.

Do you have any plans coming up for this holiday week?


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

If you consider pet hair and sewing threads as living your best life - give me a thumbs up!

Happy #caturday!



 

21 comments:

  1. Those pyramids and sphinx arehumbling

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'sy My husband's birthday 🎂🎈 today so we are just going to go to the steak house for dinner. He's 71.
    I'm selling my Pfaff to get that Juki in your shop.
    Going to sew the rest of the weekend.
    Enjoy the day.
    Blessings 💞



    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are incredible. Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us, and 2 thumbs up on the pet hair and threads! I always say no outfit is complete without a little pet hair to accessorize!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A daytime Baseball game and a Quilt to finish. I'll watch for the Parade, If hubby wants to go. . I put out all my Red, White and Blue for Flag Day! I maydo some fireworks Embroidery. No shame in the lint roller, hubby is allergic. The Egypt trip revised is fun to view. Hope your knee gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed visiting Egypt with you! You are the first photo I have ever seen with someone sitting on the 'bricks' to get proper perspective. And the rice pyramid made me laugh. Thanks for the trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking us along on your visit to the Pyramids. Epic!

    I don't know what you're up to with those trimmed off corners, but the color assortment is gorgeous and FUN. Looking forward to seeing what those are from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved the photos from unique angles .........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of the Pyramids and all, really sorry that I couldn't make this tour, but you do such a great job of showing what it was like... keep up the good job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, we went to Egypt for our Honeymoon over 30 years ago. I love the reminder of the memories. We went on a camel ride to a carpet shop LOL and I got a blister on my rear. Can I see a pyramid quilt coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing your pictures & sharing with us! My plans for the 1st through the 4th are to celebrate my dear friend Ron's 90th birthday! We both lost our mates 3 yrs ago & enjoy each other's company! Maybe there'll be a little sewing time!! Have a safe & happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DOROTHY A HOBSON12:46 PM EDT

    Thumbs up from me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:59 PM EDT

    Great pictures! Viewing them on my phone while waiting for results on blood and urine tests on our 19 year old cat. Thinking of you and Lola and wishing her well and to make peace with Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Bonnie, your travels are fascinating! The pyramids and the sphinx are amazing! I love reading about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thumbs Up!!! and Thanks for sharing your trip with those of us who couldn't make it!! Breath taking!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:24 PM EDT

    Love, love, love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thumbs up to threads and pet hair! It's a daily do in my world! The size of the pyramids is beyond mind boggling. To think of how the whole building process was managed and accomplished. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thumbs up on pet hair and/or thread. I wear them as a badge of honor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thumbs up, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thumbs up! as many as i have... lovely photos and great angles, I see a "travel coffee table" book in your future!!! I don't know how you managed the heat! Well, you told us, but it confirms my mantra.... travel while you are able!!! it never occurred to me that one day I would NEED to be near bathroom facilities, or that i would be unable to do more than 3 stairs!!!! God Bless all y ou intrepid travelers and thank you for sharing with those unable to join you... Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)