>>>>

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother’s Day, 2020!


One thing is for certain – this Mother’s Day will be remembered as being very different from any of the Mother’s Days past or present in our lives.

Last evening The Hubster came home with a little frown on his face after a grocery run stating “I wanted to bring you home flowers – but there weren’t any.”

He could have brought me home a pineapple and I would have been just as happy!

Yes, these are different times, and while I appreciated the sentiment, I didn’t need flowers or cards – I am happy in knowing that we are both well and healthy.


And while there were not “I’m taking you out to dinner!” exclamations -

Mother’s Day breakfast on the new Blackstone griddle was fabulous:


Who needs flowers when you can have pancakes and eggs?

I’m not sure why it is – but breakfast cooked outside tastes so much better than breakfast cooked inside!

I’m going to keep this post short (shorter than most) so that I can spend my Mother’s Day in a more leisurely fashion. 

I hope you will do the same.

As I’ve been talking to my parents over things that they can do to keep themselves healthy as things start to open up in their areas, there is an article I shared with them that I would love to share with you here.  (Also making it easy for me to find it again later!)

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them 


I am always one to consider the source, so before you read this and poo-poo it, please know the following:

The author, Erin S. Bromage, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Biology at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.

Dr. Bromage’s research focuses on the evolution of the immune system, the immunological mechanisms responsible for protection from infectious disease, and the design and use of vaccines to control infectious disease in animals. He also focuses on designing diagnostic tools to detect biological and chemical threats in the environment in real-time.

Dr. Bromage joined the Faculty of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in 2007 where he teaches courses in Immunology and Infectious disease, including a course this semester on the Ecology of Infectious Disease which focused on the emerging SARS-CoV2 outbreak in China.

At any rate, I find his article (complete with charts and graphs because you know – pictures are worth 1,000 words) compelling, easy to understand, and full of facts, not scare tactics or conspiracy theories.

My Mother’s Day breakfast consumed – I plan on spending time with a couple of different projects today, and I will get Part 7 of our Unity Quilt Along ready for tomorrow’s release.

The sun is shining, and while it is chilly – the wind has also died down so there may be a long walk in there as well.

However you spend your Mother’s Day – in remembrance of those mothers and grandmothers that have passed and are missed, or fielding phone calls from your own kids and grands as they call to wish you a Happy Mother’s Day – I hope you enjoy every minute.



My Happy Mother’s Day photo from Jeff and Casden!

Wearing the masks I made them.

If you are out amongst people – mask up! 

Love the ones you love from afar until we can safely hug one another again.

Oh, I think I need to get busy on that Scooby Doo quilt!


Quiltville Quote of the Day -

Happy Mother's Day to the mothers, the grandmothers, the sisters the aunts and friends.

Our hearts are full with the memories of mothers who are no longer with us. We miss them and honor them today.

To the fathers raising children on their own, to those who step in when needed along the way mothering other people's children. This day is for you, too.

Have a wonderful Mothers Day -



36 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's day to you! Enjoy your day and I hope you get in a nice long walk. Waiting for the rain to start here so walk will be short. Thank you for posting Dr. Bromage's article I read it yesterday and like you found it informational and rational. I am off to sew something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Bonnie. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! I plan to sew and hopefully enjoy some fresh air as the day warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother’s Day to you and all mothers out there and fathers who fill that role. This is my fourth Mother’S Day with out mine here on Earth; but she us in my heart and I will take her azalea branches from my yard. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an awesome day! Enjoy Mother's Day! poladydwd at yahoo dot .com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day Bonnie ❤ Loved the picture of Jeff and Casden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU for the article and all the other wonderful gifts you share. Happy Mother's Day! Good health and happiness to you and yours, Cats in Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that article... very helpful... thanks for sharing it!
    Happy Mother's Day... thanks for all the ways you mother the entire quilting community and encourage us to stay strong, healthy, and being our best selves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day. Hubby fixed me eggs & toast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the article, Bonnie. It is well written.
    Cashden looks like a cutie especially in that great shirt :-)
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Mother's Day Bonnie. Enjoy your day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Mother's Day. Thank you for the very informative article, I am very hesitant to go out in public and now I know why. I got a kick out of your new grill, we have a new pellet grill and my husband is grilling up a storm. After this is all done I will have to go on a diet! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent information in that article. I just wish people in my area would take it more seriously. On a rare venture out for necessary items, I was appalled by the lack of masks in public! So many here think if someone higher up says it is fake, then they also believe it is fake, no questions asked.
    Happy Mother's Day to you! I plan to celebrate today in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Mother's Day Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. interesting Article . we do church in our car for better distance

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Mother's day. Thank you for sharing a skill that was lost in my family many generations ago. You sharing (as mother's do) the face mask tutorial has made a big difference in the world. It's spreading mask like wild fire. I have another 50 on deck to sew in-between work shifts. God bless you and your family. Be well, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the excellent article. Happy Mother’s Day, hope you enjoy the day and Zoe Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Mother’s Day. Your breakfast looks yummy. Enjoy your day. A walk with Zoey will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Mother's Day Bonnie. Thank you for the article by Dr Bromages.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Mother’s Day to you. I have the privilege of being able to spend it with my 98 year young mom. I don’t take this opportunity for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Mother's Day, Bonnie. Thanks for lovingly sharing so much with us. Give Dave a big hug (if you are pandemic hugging). You two are a perfect pair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I shared that exact article on my FB page a few days ago. Excellent and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how I love & need Casden's shirt; 'for a friend'. ;) My day has been spent in my happy place working on Unity. It's a goosey day working on Part 5.
    Happy Mother's Day Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Mothers Day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, I wish everyone would read this excellent article by Dr. Bromage. Thanks so much for passing it along. Hope you have had a wonderful Mother’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The article was very good. I wish everyone read it and would take it to heart as truth. Have a wonderful day and enjoy that pup! Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the link to Dr Bromage's article. A very clear explanation of transmission risks. We seem to be doing pretty well in NZ but we are about to relax things considerably from Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Mother's day to you !!! In France where I am living, Mother's Day will be on June 7,2020 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for the link/article about re-opening and how to keep safe. I have a small readership on my personal blog, but have posted the link. Lots of good information.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Many thanks for the excellent article. Hope you had a relaxing Mothers Day. I'm on step 4 and enjoying the Unity quilt and your blog brings light each day to these dark times.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 7 years ago, my husband and I decided to stop buying cards for each other and to recycle the cards that we had saved over all the past years. By recycle I mean reuse, so yesterday I had several cards sitting out for me to reread and enjoy. This year was very special because our oldest daughter and her husband bought dinner from a very nice restaurant and actually CAME IN AND ATE WITH US. One and our granddaughters has been here since her university closed, but she will be flying home on the 21st of this month. This time with her has been so wonderful because she and her family have always lived so far from us that we have not had much contact.
    Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing the great article! And, your posts of Zoey make my day - so glad you added her to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for sharing the great article! And, your posts of Zoey make my day - so glad you added her to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing the great article. And, your Zoey posts make my day - glad you added her to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for sharing the article, found it very interesting, also shared with my co-workers. looks like you had a very nice mothers day, well the best you could!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Mother's Day to you. Love from India, by aangan labharthi.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)