>>>>

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

The Monday/Tuesday That Was…


I am still enjoying the bursting rhododendron on the front porch of Quiltville Inn – even though it has turned a corner and is on its way out after all of the rain we have had in the past couple of weeks.

It will live to bloom another year – I wonder what next year will look like as compared to this one?

Such interesting times we are living in!

I love “pink blooming anythings” but pink trees, rhodies and mountain laurels (Still yet to bloom!) make this deep shade of fuchsia pink the main color of heart happiness.


Even wet and soggy they are so beautiful.

My magnificent lilac hedge is also now done – the delicate blossoms tossed to the ground by rounds and more rounds of pounding rain.  I’ll be looking forward to those blooms again next year.

And so the seasons get ready to change!  It hardly feels like we have had spring at all – not weather-wise at least. But even a soggy spring is a time for renewal.


It’s also a time for painting the back hallway at Quiltville Inn!

The Hubster had yesterday off as well, and with the rain making it difficult to do yard stuff, we pulled out the drop cloth and supplies and started in adding a fresh coat to the back hallway, stairwell and upstairs hall that goes to back bedrooms 4 & 5.

We wanted to be scraping and painting the porch rails and deck floor!  But that takes the right weather, and it may just wait until fall. 

The smell of fresh paint is another one of those heart happy scents.  I know we are accomplishing something that has been on the list for quite a while.


This is also SO SO NICE!

I’ve been enjoying my morning cup (as long as it isn’t raining!) out on the new corner bench with the fire pit going.  I look forward to many summer mornings doing just this.  And if the temps are high enough, we can forego the fire, but just having a place to sit and set my mug is also grand.

The talk of the gazebo in the bend in the drive is still ongoing – but I’m not giving up yet!


I am trying to get a bit ahead of the game here -

The tulips were dragging because I wanted to get the Bumper Crop shoo fly quilt further along – so I switched to making JUST the alternate four-patches as Leaders & Enders while building tulips. 

With all of the painting and double duty Monday/Tuesday rolled into one yesterday, not a lot of sewing happened.  That’s okay.  What’s the rush?


And this is also making slow progress -

But OH, the scraps that are going into this thing!

As I have mentioned before – this quilt will be a future pattern release, so I am not able to provide you with size information, paper foundation for you to print, etc.  

There are many methods and patterns out there for Snail’s Trail.  Do a google search. Mine won’t be ready for a while yet.  But you will be first to know when it is ready.

Thank you for understanding.

Sometimes it’s a difficult balance on what to show you (so I have something to share here) and what not to show you (because I can’t offer a pattern until the quilt is done and that might be a while.)

There are some designers that NEVER show the project until it is in book or pattern form. Often to promote a fabric line. If I did that, I’d have nothing quilting related to share.  That’s all. Quilting isn’t only my livelihood, it’s my LIFE.  And I want to share it. Everything.  From the cutting to the piecing to the quilting to the binding.


This was YESTERDAY’S MAIL!

I haven’t opened it yet – the day got away from us yesterday, but I will get into it today.  Thank you so much for the little bundles of love you have sent to Casden for his quilt!

It’s safe to say I think we are DONE now.  I believe I have enough. I am so grateful.  There are pieces big enough to make pillow cases to go with the quilt.  And enough variety that he can have a Scooby Doo quilt for his bed, and a “Little boy” eye spy quilt with all of his favorite things that can be cuddled on the couch, and travel back and forth with him as he goes to spend weekends with his dad.

This is so much more than I ever expected!  I don’t know how to thank you enough.

If you haven’t sent fabric yet – you really don’t need to.  I believe I have enough to go on here.  Or I will have to make a plan for Casden Quilt Number Three! LOL!

(If the fabric you haven’t sent but were planning to is Scooby Doo – I’ll still accept it and perhaps do something fun for a PJ bag or piece something fun into the back.)

Now for the big question – can someone provide me with a link for the EASIEST (best) pillow case tutorial out there? I know there are thousands.  Thank you!

And I think that catches me up to now here.

Did you see the awesome Quilty Box Gift-Away happening in yesterday’s post?  It’s full of gorgeous fabric and notions, and we will be drawing for our winner on Sunday.

It’s another rainy day ahead – so another inside day for me.

What’s going on in your corner of the world?


Quiltville Quote of the Day

Sometimes we get stuck in a rut (or feel like our lives are put on hold due to a serious global pandemic!) because we don't know what the road ahead has in store.

We're afraid to take the next step. But if we don't, we'll never get anywhere!

Take the step!

Safely, cautiously - from 6 feet away and preferably wearing a mask to protect others while keeping your own cooties to yourself!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!


49 comments:

  1. Hi, i hope will help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9bOYfPbag
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie, the basic version here is very easy to make http://millionpillowcases.allpeoplequilt.com/freepatterns/index.html

    Looking forward to seeing what this lucky little boy's goodies will look like. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my go to also.👍

      Delete
    2. I've used this one, too!

      Delete
    3. The one that features bagging the upper edge and then the sides are french seamed (roll it up pattern) is my go-to for pillowcases. Nice and clean and no exposed, unfinished edges.

      Delete
    4. Yes! Love this one -- The Burrito Roll! LOL

      Delete
    5. I like the roll up method as well/french seams. If you are making a scrappy body, you'd need to make that first then the roll up method. Easy!

      Delete
    6. Yep, this is the method I have been using for years. Made pillow cases for my two grandboys for every holiday and special event when they were younger. I don't always put in the little strip but these always turn out perfectly!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Bonnie for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the pillowcase method I use. You can omit the flange piece, but I always include it. I like this method because all the seams are finished. No seams to unravel. https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/pillowcase-tutorial-burrito-style/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the same one I use. It's great!

      Delete
  5. This is how I make pillowcases for the Children's Hospital: https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/instructions/RollItUp.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, this is the patter that I use. Simple and quick. https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/pillowcase-tutorial-burrito-style/

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to know that you are plugging along thru this pandemic....i have been playing with my Bali Batiks and doing a number of scrappy quilts.....one of them has traveled to its new home ...love doing scrappy ....you inspire me that way in not being afraid of using all fabrics and not just sticking to one collection of fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making a sausage pillowcase by Judy. Also on the QOV website.
    https://youtu.be/NLnrC9yo8tY

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://www.mybluprint.com/project/how-to-sew-a-pillowcase-using-burrito-method

    Can't wait to see Scooby Doo quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny Doan with her grandson on you Tube making the Burrito pillowcase. The only way I make mine now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. finally working on Good Fortune, somehow got put aside for something else. Love your Zoey and her "flying nun" ears, she has so many fabulous exprssions… when you have a moment or two, send us a picture of the Gazebo Spot, w/Zoey in place!? OK? as always thanks for all you do and your upbeat and encouraging "style" Cats in hot & sunny Carlsbad CA

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have inspired me to begin making my Winding Ways blocks that have been cut out for months. I keep thinking when I start something new I need to keep at it until it's done, and the blocks have a lot of curved piecing, I Accu-Cut the pieces, the blocks are 8" I think. So I will make a couple of blocks here and there which may take me months to finish but that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Missouri Star Quilt Co has a youtube video for a burrito (roll up) pillowcase. It is really simple. I made one for each of my grandchildren. Afterwards, I cut down the measurements and made pillowcases for travel pillows for the car. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Jenny Doan’s pattern too. I cut it down to fit a travel size pillow for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome pillowcase tutorial from Shabby Fabrics.."Magic Pillowcases". Made quite a few for Christmas super fast. Under 1 yd. of fabric each with a couple of coordinates. Thank you for all you do, Bonnie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7yrDQ7G9so&t=162s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one I used and she has the regular size and a travel size.

      Delete
    2. This is the one I will be using very soon.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing the beauty in your world... I have never seen a blooming pink bush like that before! Here we went from snow and hail to scorching hot in less than 2 weeks so spring never happened.
    One of the most important things I have learned from watching you over the years is what you posted today.... just start! I don't have to have it all figured out to begin! I love how you just get an idea and start sewing and revise as you go along, and end up with an amazing treasure! Thanks for teaching me that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the one I discovered ten years ago. The pictures makes it easy to under stand how to lake the roll and how to do the French seams. You don’t have to use the accent strip. https://twiddletails.blogspot.com/2010/05/pillowcases-pillowcases.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shabby Fabrics has a great tutorial and they just recently updated it to include a travel size and a king size

    ReplyDelete
  19. Allpeoplequilt is the pattern I was going to suggest. The only one I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes. Lori janes above link is easy. And you can add a colored flange if you want. But the directions are great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for today's quote--I needed to read that--
    I am just beginning a 'spring' cleaning and redo of my apartment--
    got stuff ordered and in--but then--
    have no idea really where to start or what to do--
    I am one who usually has it all figured out before I can start--
    but for some reason--the mind is not working overtime or even 'ontime' these days--
    happy stitching and stay safe--
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  22. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crafty Gemini, Vanessa Vargas Wilson, has a great, fast and easy pillowcase tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  24. here's a suggestion. while taking the picture of the space for the gazebo, the story goes this way. nice sunny day...you and zoey are walking up the steep drive...suddenly you are hit with a torrential downpour...what to do...skip into the gazebo because it has a roof...heaven forbid that either of you get wet because you might melt. nice visual anyway. hugs, patti in florida

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the Missouri Star Quilt Company pillowcase tutorial. Today, we have storms raging through central Texas. Just staying inside and watching the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am working on round 7 of the Unity quilt, everything is cut out and sewing up the squares. It is cooler here today with no rain as yet but supposed to get some more. They are saying then next week summer will be here close to 90 all next week. I would like just some 70 degrees for a few weeks. But we get what we get and I am safe and having fun sewing up all my UFO's and making more quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bonnie, your scrap quilts have such a cohesive look (Unity Quilt, for instance). have so much trouble with scraps... am I over thin king it, or does it just take practice? For instance are ALL blues acceptable to put into a quilt? You have a lot of variety in the blues of the Unity quilt, but they "read" as all blue for the patterns sake. can this be learned? can you give any tips? although I know this is a big ask, as busy as you remain.
    Thank you for any help.
    diana in illinois

    ReplyDelete
  28. My-O-My! I just found the answers to my questions at "Behind Her Scrappy Mind" on your Miscellany page! THANK YOU for the detailed explanation! Hopefully along with your scrap keeper system (which I already use), this article will help me choose fabrics!
    diana in illinois
    (again)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I see plenty of patterns above! The only thing I would share is to be sure to do french seams on the pillowcase, as it will hold up SO much better! I've made loads of pillow cases over the years, and tucked quilts inside...its such a nice touch! He will LOVE it all -- thank you for all you do, Bonnie! Your blog is SUCH a nice thing to read each morning! Deb E / CA mdenders@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Use the burrito method for the pillow case. It is great. I do add one step that I learned from a friend. I top stitch the flange down. I think it holds up better through washings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Listed above...
    https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/pillowcase-tutorial-burrito-style/
    Great detailed instructions with photos. And if the fabric is directional you'll need about 1 1/4 yards. Cut the 40 inches along the salvage and the 27" from salvage toward the other salvage. Did that make sense?

    I'm looking forward to seeing your finished projects. It has been some time since you've made a baby/youth quilt and I loved your past projects so I'm sure I will love this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Shabby Fabrics has a good you tube video on pillowcases.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Gourmet Quilter has a video on You Tube for pillowcases that has a flap on inside the covers the open end of the pillowcase,
    i hate seeing the end of my pillows sticking or peeking out of my pillowcases.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bonnie, it is always a pleasure to read your news letter/blog every day.
    I live in Northern Virginia. Not as much rain.
    "Alone/together" and stay happy perky and heallthy

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm working on quilt 25 of the year. The other 24 have made it or almost made it to their final destination. I just want them to be used, don't hang them on a wall or save for the best time, use them up. I guess you can tell I'm passionate about this.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your rhododendrons look gorgeous such a shame they don't last longer.
    Hope my fabric arrives in time for your Casdon quilts, you have a nice bundle of envelopes there.
    Looking forward to seeing your snail trail quilt the block are really looking gorgeous
    Take care
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your rhododendrums are gorgeous. That's one plant that we don't have this far north (just a little south of the Mackinaw Bridge). Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  38. We use sergers to sew pillowcases for our local hospitals. We use the "burrito" method. Very easy and quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Here's is my preferred method of making pillowcases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7yrDQ7G9so&list=WL&index=79&t=444s

    ReplyDelete
  40. Dilly Dally Pillowcase Pattern by Me and My Sister
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjb6_KKIBCo

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)