>>>>

Thursday, September 08, 2016

A Colossal Coliseum, Rome!

20160827_065505
Just after sunrise in port at Civitavecchia, Italy.

Who would think you could pull open the draperies, open the cabin door, step out onto the balcony, and be greeted by the most wonderful graffiti message?

It was as if someone had painted this message just for me, just to say good morning, it’s a beautiful day!

Okay, so Civitavecchia is not the most beautiful port in Italy, but it has been here since Roman times.

The word Civitavecchia means “Old Town.”  VERY Old as the harbor was constructed by the Emperor Trajan at the beginning of the 2nd century.  The place became a free port under Pope Innocent XII in 1696 and has been the main port of Rome ever since.

This was our LONG day.  And let me tell you, it is impossible to do Rome in a Day, but we were giving it the best that we had, out on the bus early and ready to take it all in.

20160827_075021

Vineyards through my window, the Mediterranean sea in the distance.

I love the Italian countryside!

20160827_073825(1)

Hey, it’s an hour and a half ride into the city.  Of COURSE there are hexies!

20160827_083335_001

A modern Cathedral along the river.

20160827_085639(0)

My first glimpse of the Coliseum.

At this point I am nearly in tears, so excited and so humbled to be here.  Who hasn’t heard of the Coliseum.  Who hasn’t felt heart pains for what early Christians and slaves went through in this place? Not to mention other atrocities of sport including not only people, but precious animals put on display. 

Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheater ever built.  The Coliseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators.  We found out of course, that women were sent up to the nose bleed section at the top, far away from the men.  I’d rather stay home quilting.  LOL.

20160827_094348

Up in the nose bleed section!

20160827_095027

The temple of Venus and Roma
As seen from the top of the Coliseum. 
The temple is thought to have been the largest temple in Ancient Rome. Located on the Velian Hill, between the eastern edge of the Forum Romanum and the Coliseum, it was dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix ("Venus the Bringer of Good Fortune") and Roma Aeterna ("Eternal Rome"). The architect was the emperor Hadrian and construction began in 121. It was officially inaugurated by Hadrian in 135, and finished in 141 under Antoninus Pius. Damaged by fire in 307, it was restored with alterations by the emperor Maxentius. [source]
Who would think this would still be standing here after nearly 2,000 years? I am astounded.  Touching history. Reflecting on lives.  And ever glad that I didn’t live during this time….I’d miss my camera phone!

I’ve included many photos in the slide show below.  Coliseum From Every Angle is what I should have titled it.  It was monumental to have seen this for myself.



20160907_191943

Did you see what is in the house?
I shared this photo in last night’s Quilt-Cam post!

We have a super-duper Craft University course up for giveaway – it’s Nancy Mahoney’s Designing Quilts with EQ7 BUNDLE!  You want to learn EQ?  Now you can!  It’s on last night’s Quilt-Cam post…go enter! Click HERE if you missed it!

The dining room turned mail room is where you will find me today, and likely through the weekend working on getting orders out that do NOT include the Essential Triangle Tool. I am doing the happy dance of joy over invoices that include peel and stick mailing labels!  It’s the simple things that make me a happy girl…it’s going to save me hours!

What I fill over the weekend will hit the post office on Monday.  Tuesday I fly to Rhode Island, so I am working to get as much done as I can in the time given.

9_8_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

In the unforgettable words of Mary Poppins, “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!”

Carolina Chain quilt from my new book release Addicted to Scraps, in pre-order status on my website now!

Come see all of the quilts and read the nitty gritty HERE! SEW EXCITED!
 
Time to start signing books!  Have a super Thursday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for books! Hope your order fulfillment goes smoothly.

    The pictures of Rome are wonderful--I visited there many years ago and still remember how beautiful the light was--for me, Rome will always be golden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pretty photos! Have a lovely day ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS enjoy the photos from your journeys. Rome looked wonderful from your perspective; I love all the history you impart. Hurray for your new release!! So glad your sweet Hubster was able to streamline your invoice process to include peel and stick labels! You've worked so hard to get to this point. I'm delighted to be among the many who ordered directly from you so you can get the most from all your work. Looking forward to my package deal when the Essential Tool arrives to be paired with my book and deck of cards. I'll be patient. I've got plenty of "BKH" projects in process. And what a lovely process it is. Hugs, Allison in Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not express how much I've appreciated your whole trip to Italy especially! We were stationed in Naples for 3 years '92-95, and you've brought back so many memories!❤ thank for all you do and taking the extra time in your already busy schedule to take pictures and blog! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not express how much I've appreciated your whole trip to Italy especially! We were stationed in Naples for 3 years '92-95, and you've brought back so many memories!❤ thank for all you do and taking the extra time in your already busy schedule to take pictures and blog! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed living vicariously through you and enjoying your travels through your photos. I am so amazed at what you accomplish each and every day. I feel you're Super Woman in plain clothes carrying a quilt as your cape. You must accomplish more in a day than ten people could in ten days working at a constant pace. I'm glad you have learned to harness all that energy into accomplishing such good things in the quilting world. And you're such a kind, caring, loving human being to boot. God must have sent us a "quilting angel", because you're it. Thanks for being the great person that you are and thanks for your interesting and timely blog. I love the quote of the day and all the photos you include. Bless you and wishing you safe travels to Rhode Island. Pam Clark, Moville, IA

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)