>>>>

Monday, September 05, 2016

A Blue Ridge Parkway Sunday!

20160904_163723
There was just no denying it.

Quilting had to wait.

It was a lovely 80 degrees at the cabin by mid-afternoon with low humidity and the sun was  dropping shadows all around from the gorgeous clouds dotting a September Carolina blue sky.

Helmet on, boots laced up, out we went for some fresh air and to take in the glorious views of this place I call home in North Carolina.

I’ve never been to the Outer Banks.  I know when folks hear of the Carolinas the FIRST thing they think of is the coastline.  But for me, it is all about these mountains.  This is the place I call home.  This is the place I always long to be.

 20160904_163800

Priceless works of art can’t outshine this!

20160904_164001

And the mountains rang…

20160904_170637

We stopped to watch kayakers and canoe-ers enjoying their day.

This lake actually travels beneath the road. [Or I should say the road crosses the lake?]  The cool thing is that there is a spillway just on the other side of the road, and if you climb down the side path just a bit, you can see the paddlers from under the overpass….almost so close you could touch them, but they are a road-width away.

20160904_170520

Can you see the canoes from underneath?

20160904_170442

Looking down the spillway to the creek and beyond.

I love September.  I’m so happy for this time of year, but it passes so quickly that I want to grab each day and make the most of the sunshine and the more gentle warmth of the sun.  I am grateful for lower humidity and cooler mornings.  But at the same time I’m  a bit sad that sunrise is a bit later in the morning, and evenings are going to rapidly get shorter.  It’s always a toss up, isn’t it?  The things we love, and the things we hate to see leave us for another season.

On the Sadie front:



She is doing MUCH better, but still moving a bit slowly.  You can tell when her meds wear off as she starts to shake again, and gets a bit whimper-y.  It will take some time, but some steps have been ordered to help her get on and off of beds.  Tall mattresses make bed jumping a problem, and we can’t seem to convince her that she is no longer a rambunctious puppy!

14141947_10154495190453909_2355951816371895335_n

Some of THIS is going on behind the scenes!

Ooooohhh!  Get excxited!

20160904_211648

THIS happened last night.

We started watching Stranger Things on Netflix.  Oh. My. Goodness!  I’m not much of a sci-fi lover, but this had me hooked from the get-go.  It reminds me a lot of Granite Flats with a group of kids in the midst of the mayhem, and it had me so on the edge of my seat that I didn’t even finish ONE SIDE of binding last night.  Binding can take its time.  My only regret? We’ve made it through 4 episodes, and there are only 8 in the season and it will be a while before the next season comes along.

I know i promised some Capri photos today.  There are 300 of them.  It’s going to take a while to edit them down and to hold you over, I’ve been playing with what Google photos can do as far as little videos, slide shows and collages!  I love the “vintage” filter they used for this batch.



And yes there is more to come!

I’m actually hoping this will make workshop day slide shows easier to put together….we shall see!

Back to the machine to work on a very special project.  I’m headed home this evening, but will enjoy what time is left up here.

9_5_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

I hope you are sharing your long Labor Day weekend with those that you love the most!

Garden Party quilt from my new book release Additcted to Scraps, in pre-order status on my website now! Come see all of the quilts and read the nitty gritty HERE! SEW EXCITED!

Have a great Labor Day, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

21 comments:

  1. Love those Mountain Views. I am sad to see the Summer end. But that means we are getting closer to "Mystery" time. Happy that my week of Fair is almost DONE. Just need to get the people their quilts back and clear out all my stands and tables! Then I will hit my Quilt Zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sadie's tail with the little wag!! Glad to hear that she's on the mend! Beautiful pics of your scenery and I wish I had a little of that here in the prairies of Saskatchewan. I can see for miles and miles! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh....I've been reading your old blog posts, and have gotten to where Sadie became part of the family. Hard to believe she was the ultimate escape artist and chewed everything in sight....makes you more aware of why she may have ended up at the shelter in the first place. But years of love and affection have turned her into the wonderful gal she is now. What a blessing you didn't give up on her!
    And I'm with you...I'll take the mountains over the beach anyway!!! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an open invitation to stay with me in OBX.
    just email me. Fall and spring are the best times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really should visit the Outer Banks some time to see another aspect of the beauty of North Carolina. September is the best month to visit there. My husband and I have been going to OBX in September for twen years now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I copied and pasted your quote to my FB wall today, as it spoke volumes to me today, and just when I needed it too! Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. We visited the Outer Banks when our son was stationed at Cherry Point. Love it. Went back to visit just before they were transferred. Our pastor's from the mountains and he talks about it all the time. North Carolina is one place I'd like to explore more.

    Looking forward to the color selection.

    Colleen in Alaska where fall is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to learn your fur baby is on the mend.
    It looks beautiful there.
    I am super excited to see the black and white photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad Sadie is better. Coconut oil would be good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. did not receive the picture of Sadie or your video. I am so glad Sadie is doing better. I have had experience with the fur Babies being sick, such a sad feeling. I am happy that Sadie is so well treated and cared for, this is the way it should be for every animal. It is the way that we treat our 3 fur Babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Sadie Boo boo. Such a sweet girl. SO glad that the weather is good for her as she recuperates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up on the southeast coast of NC. Whenever I say that I'm from NC, people always assume that I'm from the mountains. I love both the mountains and the coast. In fact, I spent a few days in a friend's cabin on Buck Mountain a few years ago. Loved it! Can't wait to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see Sadie is a little better....will continue praying for her, and of course, for you. I'm sure it's all very confusing for her that in her mind, she feels like a pup, but her body doesn't want to cooperate. She probably misses her long walk in the woods.... 🙏🙏🐶🐶💗💗

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad Sadie is doing better. I'm sure lots of love comes from her quilt. Take care Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad Sadie is doing better. I'm sure lots of love comes from her quilt. Take care Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bonnie. I'm glad our friend is doing better. She looks so comfy on her quilt. What would we do without our furry friends Hey Colleen I loved Alaska. It was so beautiful. Have a lovely week Bonnie. Say hi to your Mom for me.

    Ann
    Red Lion PA

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey bonnie........just ordered your new book. it looks so fabulous! Sadie is bringing back memories of our wonderful dog Nicky. we got him when our boys were 6, 3, and 1 and he was part of our family for 16 years. when he was 15 and started failing we did a "documentary". we invited each family member over and camcorded them with nick (he loved his picture taken!). i just dug it out and cried and laughed and smiled at the stories and wonderful memories. 25 years have passed since we made that tape (our son put it on a dvd for us)and some of the people in it have also passed. it's a treasure. give sweet Sadie a hug from a fan. nancyb

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to see Sadie's little waggie tail. It is apparent that she loves her family and her quilts. It's hard when we are still puppies inside and the outside disagrees (spoken from experience). Sadie is so lucky to have a family and friends that love her so much. Mama, I know how it hurts to see fur babies suffer and not know what is troubling them. So glad you took her to the emergency vet. One of our Grandpuppies had to go to the emergency vet and stay a couple of nights as he is now diabetic. So grateful for the loving care he received there. He is doing very well now that the problem was diagnosed and treatment started.

    Much love to you and your family. We pray fro continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have me hooked. Oh those mountains. Soon we will be calling these mountains home. Yup. Bought a beautiful home in the mountains of West Jefferson. Bye Wisconsin. Hello North Carolina. Blue Ridge parkway here we come. Maybe our paths will cross someday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad to see Sadie wagging her tail. What a cutie patootie. Love your mountains, too. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have the staircase to the high mattress for our 13 year old cat, it has made it very easy for her to climb to the sheepskin we keep at the foot of the bed. You'll be happy you got them. Just train yourself to avoid them in the dark, they can provoke a stubbed toe swearing episode.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)