>>>>

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Runaway Girl!

20160911_071437
This was the sky from my front porch at the cabin this morning.

I do wish I could wake up to this every morning, but being here just when I can makes these mornings all the more noteworthy.

There is something to be said against complacency.  And variety.  And having different things to wake up to.

But still…I love these mornings!

Yesterday Sadie and I made a beeline for the Blue Ridge after dropping off what I could at the post office before the post office closed for the weekend.

And today, as my flag flies, THIS is on my mind:




Someone posted a thing on Facebook that said “This year, as school starts, there is a whole new group of Freshmen that will study the events of 9/11 as having happened BEFORE their life  time." Wow.

And yet it feels just like yesterday to me.  We’ll never forget what we were doing, what was going on when we heard the news.  And most of all, I remember the silence in the sky, living just south of Dallas, Texas.  It was eerily SILENT for days.  And when planes were able to fly again, it was nearly deafening, and so scary.  Life began its “new normal.”

And yet we are never the same after something like this, are we?

So I’m up at the cabin. If the post office is closed, SO AM I!  Besides, if this mystery is going to happen this year, someone needs to be cutting and sewing it.

Hints? You want hints? Okay, how about this:

14322259_10154515339828909_6986016257887612789_n

LOADS of cutting has happened!

No, do not plan on strings…these are the left over trimmings of cutting fabric down to shapes.  OH!  I am so excited about this year’s mystery!  I’m working hard behind the scenes, and that is why I am up here…I want to get everything kitted up so it can travel in baggies with me on my future traveling events.

The plan is to be looking forward to the theme of this year’s quilt, along with colors and yardage requirements and other details by the end of October.  That gives everyone just about a month to pull their fabrics together for our kick off on November  25th, a bit more than just 2 months away.  Time is flying by  It will be here before we know it!

While I was in invoice printing mode night before last, this happened:

20160909_203334

Sand Castles is in the machine!

**future book project, no pattern available yet**

20160909_204839

Aren't these fabrics fun?

Yes, you CAN use Cotton & Steel mixed with Pat Sloan Moda and combine them with a bunch of sandy/mocha neutrals from every era of my life as a quilter.  I’m loving this one.  And the pile of quilts for the NEXT book down the pipeline is steadily growing.  I nearly have enough done to put together a decent book proposal and get those dates nailed down. It really is a 2 year project to get a book to print, did you know that?

I turned in all of the quilts and the manuscript for Addicted to Scraps LAST NOVEMBER.  10 months from turn in to release.  So there is no time to just sit back and relax if I want another book release 2 years from now. 

20160910_214531

While I was cutting…

Do you look for quilts in movies and tv shoes?  I can’t help myself!  This 9 patch and rails quilt was spotted while watching The Missing on Netflix, a Ron Howard movie.  if the movie has Ron Howard’s name on it, I just know it is going to be good and this one was awesome. 
When rancher and single mother of two Maggie Gilkeson (Cate Blanchett) sees her teenage daughter, Lily (Evan Rachel Wood), kidnapped by Apache rebels, she reluctantly accepts the help of her estranged father, Samuel (Tommy Lee Jones), in tracking down the kidnappers. Along the way, the two must learn to reconcile the past and work together if they are going to have any hope of getting Lily back before she is taken over the border and forced to become a prostitute.
And I love the quilt too.  Blue and white.  Yummy.  And even better, the quilt fit the time frame of the movie which made me happy.  There is nothing like finding a 1930s Dresden plate on a bed in a civil war film.  LOL!

20160911_075333

See that blur of tail?

Sadie is doing SO much better.  I would say she is just shy of 100% and only has a few days left of meds to go.  The trick now will be teaching her to use the “bed stairs” to go DOWN instead of just jumping off to the floor.

So this is my weekend in a nutshell.  I’ll be back home tomorrow morning to resume mail-room duty and pack up the trunk show bags for a trip up to Rhode Island on Tuesday.  I’m teaching Narragansett Blues up there, the place that inspired the quilt in the first place!  AND.  Addicted to Scraps has been shipped ahead, so it will be my first book signing event of the new book up there as well, a 2 guild 2 lecture, 2 workshop circuit.

And for the rest of today I’ll be cutting and kitting.  And there will be a nap happening.  I am just feeling worn through, out of gas, totally fried.

In a very good very satisfied way.

9_11_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day.

I believe this with every fiber of my being, and it is simple as starting right now.

Trip around the world quilt found in Texas by my friends Irene & Sherry who are on their way to retreat! They are my partners in quilt crime in coming up with the vintage quilt photos for these quotes. Thanks, gals!

Time to get back to cutting – have a lovely Sunday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

14 comments:

  1. I have been trying to teach my 12 year old 11 pound poodle the same thing. I tell everyone getting a puppy before you let your puppy learn to jump up and off furniture think about how hard it will be to unlearn when they get older. Tag has had two episodes like Sadies Unlearning is so much harder than learning

    Thanks Bonnie for all you do for quilters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using very small treats and lots and lots of praise and belly rubs to teach my chihuahua to go down her steps. She is 10 years old and it is turning out to be a very slow process. Going up the steps wasn't hard to get her to do but down them seems to be much harder for her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see Sadie's happy tail. A note about the bed/stairs...we put an ottoman at the end if our bed for our two furry "kids"...it helped tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to know both you and precious Sadie Jane took time for a wonderful out in the woods walk. She looks like a happy happy girl. Breathing in clear clean fresh air does something magical to all of us.

    In 3 million life times, I couldn't keep your schedule. You are a real trouper :) Take care of yourself...and I truly LOVE your thought of the day. So many times we think in the future a longed for happiness or serenity will come. HOW SAD... thanks for the reminder.

    Smilies, give that furgirl a hug for me
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful day here in North central Arkansas as well. After a quick trip to town to drop off a ton of recycling (ok, not a ton, but a huge load anyway), I spent time planting mums in place of my spent annuals, played with my doggie, and finished a baby quilt to donate to the local homeless shelter. A good day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for including this special hint...I am excited to see that there will be fabric! and it looks like we might get to cut it and then sew back together??? The best part of a mystery is the anticipation. Like a watched pot, it will be ready when it is ready.

    Thanks for all you do Bonnie. You are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh rhode island will be lovely this time of year...but pack something warmish just in case...near the water it can get cool....and that WAS a good movie and i agree about ron howard...who knew little opie was so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed that movie to. We had to make sure our little dog doesn't get up so high anymore.. I don't think he minds his bed down low. He hurts something in his back jumping down and it's terribly painful so cozy pillows and blankies on the floor for him. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed that movie to. We had to make sure our little dog doesn't get up so high anymore.. I don't think he minds his bed down low. He hurts something in his back jumping down and it's terribly painful so cozy pillows and blankies on the floor for him. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was watching Doc Hollywood this weekend (Michael J Fox) and oooh courthouse steps in the background! The ladies were finishing a friendship quilt and draped it over him. After a dream scene he rushed out of the house with the new quilt wrapped around him, fell over in the dirt and I go "Noooooo!"
    Yes I am a spot the quilt person and sadly as I have chickens it's also "ooh chickens!" You'd think I was a 10 year old not 58! My husband just rolls his eyes . . . a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about spotting them on the line in someone's back yard! Hubby and I go riding and sometimes I catch them first, sometimes he's like did you see that... as we are going down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  12. On September 11, 2001, I was at my Quilt Guild meeting (Towpath Quilt Guild, Fayetteville, NY). We were all stunned to hear what was going on. We had no TV at the meeting site, so had to wait til we got home to learn the full story, then I was glued to the TV for days on end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy that Sadie is doing better! I'm very excited for this year's mystery quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have been watching Army Wives on Netflix, in the house of Trevor & Roxie are several quilts on the couch and folded over chairs for throws and forts for their boys. I had never noticed until now.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)