>>>>

Monday, January 07, 2019

Mystery Monday Link-Up, The Reveal!

IMG_20190107_084502_234000

Good Monday Morning, Mystery Quilters!

We revealed our Good Fortune Quilt on Friday, and I am overwhelmed with the absolutely positive response.

Thank you all for your kind words through Instagram and Facebook, in our Quiltville’s Open Studio group, even your personal blogs are full of so much positivity and excitement.  

You who wrote so kindly are the reason we continue to do this.

I know mystery quilts can be scary.  And that is why I show you my honest-to-goodness fabric choices and offer paint chips at the onset – because I want you to know where this is going.

You already know my type of quilting – Bold.  Busy.  Very Scrappy. LOUD. (With capital letters.) Small pieces a’plenty. 

Anyone making my quilts should have a good idea of just what to expect ahead of time, and generally that is the reason that many DO make my quilts – 

You KNOW ahead of the game that it is going to be piece-heavy and intensive at times, and that every care is given to how things are pressed so that things come together as well as possible.

It is pretty much safe to say that you can’t join in on my mystery quilts and expect anything less – or that I would change my designs to suit someone’s personal tastes. 

That’s like asking a zebra to not have stripes.

20181230_163611

This is the way I sew – it fills my heart!

And I am so glad that it fills yours, too.

20190107_085034

Coming along beautifully!

20190107_085108

Oh yes, I really like this!

20190107_085153

Definite progress!

I love it!

20190107_085229

This is bold and beautiful!

20190107_085255

Yes, it is definitely getting there!

(Can you believe the reveal was just 3 days ago?!)

20190107_085554

Love the purple in this!  Well done!

The above shares were from Instagram and the #goodfortunequilt hashtag.  There are many more to see!

IMG_20181127_114433275_HDR

Photo by dad  - wow was it cold and windy on the porch that day!

And I would love to see what you have to share in our Link-Up today.

There is a lot of info below.  PLEASE DO NOT SKIM READ!

We have many new folks with us this year, so if you’ve never done a link-up before, we will include some info so you can add your photo of your progress to the mix.


You’ll need either a blog, an instagram account, a Pinterest account, a Flickr account or a Google+ account.  All of which are free, and a great way of journaling your progress on any project.  ALL of these must be set to PUBLIC.


Please, no private accounts as no one will be able to see what you are sharing, so what’s the point? Links to private accounts will be deleted.

No matter where you are in your Good Fortune quilt you can share blocks, design wall photos, fabric choices, completed units with your dog, cat or grand-baby – just share!

Please do NOT post unit sizes or unit counts in your post.  This is a mystery.  The sizes and counts are plainly available in the mystery directions themselves.  Folks can get them by coming to my directions.

Be sure when you are filling in your information in the Linky form below that you include a URL to your specific post or photo, not just your main blog or profile address.  We need the address of the page where your photo and post is, not the whole account.


For those who don’t understand HOW to find the URL of any given post PLEASE read this linky tutorial before you link up again.

For an example of a blog post including a link back, click HERE.
For a Pinterest post including a link back, click HERE.
For an Instagram post including a link back, click
HERE.
For a Flickr post including a link back, click HERE.


Click the links above for examples of folks who have done it correctly!

If you have linked to my main blog address http://quiltville.blogspot.com that also needs to be changed to the URL for today's linky page. Please check your post or photo and make sure you have the right link.

Our posts are reciprocal.  Which means I link to you, you link back to me.

Your link-up post, be it on Instagram, Pinterest, your blog or wherever MUST include an easy to find, obvious link (highlighted helps!) to the link-up post. The link you are to use is given below.

Pinterest, Instagram etc - you can just paste the URL to this post into the text or even the comment section of your post.

Include this link in your post: 
https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019/01/mystery-monday-link-up-reveal.html

Or Short Link: https://bit.ly/2AxNTDE

If you don’t know how to link it so it is clickable in your blog post, don’t worry about it. Just copy and paste the above URL into your text.

We are also using the hashtags #quiltvillemystery and #goodfortunequilt and a link back to this post for social media.  Please use them AND the URL of this post so we can find you!

If you do not link back to my post, your link will be removed from our link-up.


The linky pages will be alive FOREVER in the archives, Your link will stay there so people can find you, please link correctly to my post so people can find me and the others who have also shared their links as well.



Thanks for sharing, everyone! I have so enjoyed this mystery season with you!



January 07, 2019 at 07_56AM

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Quilt found in Winston-Salem, NC.

It's never too late to go a different direction.

Evidently THIS quilter was not afraid of bold and busy – or of the bulk that happens with busy piecing either.

I bet she and I would have gotten along just great!

Much love on this Monday -


20 comments:

  1. Bonnie, your quilt style is exactly why I'm here. And why your mystery quilts are so fabulous -- because you don't compromise on your style either piecing-wise or busy/colorwise. Your quilts are beautiful every. single. time. Anyone who can take that leap of faith and follow your oh-so-helpful, detailed instructions will always learn something along the way. So keep your zebra-stripes and keep being you because that who we love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilts. I've never done a mystery before, but most of my quilts a very busy & colorful. Matchy matchy is too boring. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% agreement with Valerie...you must be who you are, i'm pretty sure that's why we are all here... or else we'd be on another site, making different quilts!!! Love you and grateful for your contribution to my life, which i've mentioned a time or too,,, quilt on, people! Quilt on! Cats in Carlsbad, CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't able to play along with the mystery - too many other dragons to slay right now - but I still enjoyed watching it unfold and hope to make it someday. It's gorgeous!!!

    I've made several of your patterns, have several more in progress, and more yet in planning. The thing is, I enjoy your methodology and way of thinking as much as I do your actual designs - Scrap Users, Leaders/Enders, etc. Just the way you think and work thru projects makes sense and clicks for me, and I've learned more from reading your blog than I could say. Thanks for all you do! We appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I haven't tackled a mystery yet, I've been following for the past three years learning skills from you (and stretching my scrappiness) to improve my quilting! I really like Good Fortune and think I'm ready to go for it this year! Thanks, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was the first mystery I did in a very long long time - thank you for showing us your color choices as it really did help me - the very first one that I did years and years ago the person just said dark, light, print etc - not much guidance and it was awful! the granddaughter loved it as a doll quilt though so I guess that is what mattered - but it made it so I never wanted to do one again - but now with following you for a long time I thought I would be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:13 AM EST

    I need to get myself in gear and start this one! Everyone's quilts are turning out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing I love the most about Bonnie Hunter - You design the quilts, color, pattern, borders, bindings - EVERYTHING -- Then you applaud those who change up the colors and go their own direction, sometimes even changing borders and finishes. You are truly a gifted designer, and you have the biggest heart EVER! It is easy to be a Quiltville fan!
    See you in Denton, TX in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first mystery quilt and it's thrilling! Never thought of myself as a scrappy quilter (scrappy woman, yeah!!! lol) and I can't imagine I will do these little tiny pieces for anyone other than Bonnie Hunter! One more clue to finish up then it's abra cadabra (sp?) to put it together. Seeing everyone's work has given me a boot in the butt to get on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your amazing scrappy quilt style is just one of the reasons I love following your blog. I can't wait to dive into this mystery. Though the final has been revealed, it will still be a mystery for me to overcome the piecing challenges and assemble this gorgeous quilt. I am enjoying seeing others quilts very much. All is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Valerie you said it so well.
    Once again I haven't made this year's mystery but once again I have watched on with joy and anticipation as each step is revealed. I think I might just print out the instructions and have a go at my own pace.
    Thanks again Bonnie
    Xoxox Nicole in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really enjoying the mystery quilt---thanks for all the time and work you put into it. Such a generous gift! I am a knitter, and have done several knitting mysteries while I am still a new'ish quilter---in my experience, turning control over to the designer and putting your faith in them while you blindly follow along can be the most challenging part---I love all the tiny pieces and the scrappiness---again, thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My very first mystery quilt and I am loving it! Thank you thank you Bonnie! My quilting passion had waned but this mystery has reignited it, So happy in my quilting room again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, wow, wow! I love the reveal. I know, I'm a few days late. Got very sick last Thursday and this is my first chance to be able to get to the computer. I was so excited to see that the reveal had happened--even without me. LOL.
    Definitely one of my favorites. Thank you, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made mystery quilts before but always waited for the whole instructions before I started. Now that I am retired and have more time to spend at the sewing machine I decided to keep up with the instructions. Well, I can't count, I put corners on the wrong side but I had a lot of fun. Even the unsewing was fun.
    I just have to put all those borders on and quilt it.
    Thanks Bonnie. Love ya, girl. When you come to Queensland give me a call and you can visit the Sunshine Coast. I see in your picture that it is cold and windy. Pity about that. We are having lovely hot sunny days. Bless you and I hope the new year brings better tidings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your busy quilts gave me validation for the style I always loved. It concerned me when I started taking quilt classes in the early 90s that my quilts looked very busy compared to others. I found/find anything less to be boring. I have learned so much from you that helps me to improve my quilt quality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your generosity in providing this annual mystery project. And not just a pattern, but a theme and mini-tutorials to boot! I don't think it is easy to design a successful, unified scrap quilt. Yes, we can just sew pieces together if that's our style, but I love how your designs rise above random and make a statement.
    I'm still at the stage of assembling my blocks (the reveal came during a very busy week for me), but I will push through and complete this project, because working with all of these small units is exciting!
    God bless you in this new year and in your vision for Quiltville Inn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie this was my first Mystery Quilt and even though I got sideways on my orange strings it will not be my last! I will finish the original, mistakes and all in a lap size. Can’t wait to finish putting on the borders and getting this one done. I am fondling fabric to pick out another color palette to remake Good Fortune since I ran out of orange strings. I love it! Can’t thank you enough for all you do for all of us out in the world of quilting goodness!
    Carol Andrews
    QuiltSchmilt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)