>>>>

Saturday, April 14, 2012

When In Newport ----

One of the fun things about traveling is trying different regional foods.

I am an adventuresome sort, and will try anything once, twice if I like it --- if I love it ---there is no stopping me!

Unless it comes to raw oysters ----I know some people love them, but if you are supposed to let things slide down without chewing them, what’s the point?! :c)

Even sea food is a regional delicacy ----for instance, when I go to the NC coast, Lisa and I love to stop at the Provision Company for conch fritters. OH MAN are those good!

Down on the gulf coast, shrimp, crawfish and other delicacies come with a very distinct Cajun influence…..

When visiting Maryland, it’s Old Bay seasoning on the blue crabs…all the way! And you’ve GOT to get your fingers messy with the seasoning in order for the seasoning to transfer from the crab shell to your fingers, to the meat --- MMMM perfect! ((Take it this way---if your cuticles and pin-pricked quilting fingers are NOT burning from the salt and spices, you aren’t doing it right!))

RhodeIsland2012 355

Tonight was my last night in Newport/Portsmouth ---- and we went down to the waterfront for clams at Flo’s Clam Shack! What a fun place!

And this is the biggest platter of fried clam strips I’ve ever seen. I like mine with cocktail sauce ((Cocktail sauce on wide cut fries is really good too!)) But up here in New England, it’s tartar sauce and lemon all the way.

Edna had hers “WITH BELLIES” Which was a term I’d never heard of ……I tried some of hers, it’s the whole clam with no missing parts, and a very distinct clammy flavor! Strong, but good.

Christa and Tim joined us ----he ordered the fish & chips….and in this case…the FISH is SINGLUAR --- that was the biggest platter sized battered and deep fried fish filet I’d ever seen!

RhodeIsland2012 354

There was more food than we could finish, we ate on the second floor over looking the bay and watched the evening sky go dark while enjoying great conversation, laughter and new friendships.

RhodeIsland2012 352

As the evening got darker, Edna drove me over to First, Second and Third Beaches --- and the wildlife refuge until daylight was no more. As we headed back toward Middle town --- all the house lights and city lights along the shore line gave off a beautiful Newport glow. This is just SUCH a wonderful place to be --- I’d love to come back and do some more exploring!

Tomorrow morning Edna is picking me up around 10 am to do some more sight seeing ----I’m hopeful I’ll load the camera with walking pictures of mansions from the front as we walk down the street --- my flight home isn’t until 4pm ---so we have a partial day to play!

RhodeIsland2012 356

As for tonight….as soon as I hit SEND on this --- this girl is hunkering down to stitch some blocks in my room ----this evening and tomorrow morning belong to ME!

15 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed that area. We have vacationed that area for years and the one food I love there is the clam chowder in Newport. Totally agree with you about the oysters. If you swallow without chewing, what's the point. Sounds like you will be looking for a little time to relax after this trip. I'm exhausted just reading about all the places you've been in the past few days. Good travelin...
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie I LOVE those blocks! I am so inspired by the gorgeous designs you come up with using just your scraps. I'm working on a scrap quilt top right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blocks are beautiful, so is your FW. One of my most favorite vacations is right where you are, Love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love these blocks you are working on!! Paula in KY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I go home to New England I have a food list...whole clams (with bellies) are on it! My favorite came from Kelly's on Castle Island in South Boston...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:55 PM EDT

    I have heard of conch fritters but never tried any. You did forget to mention Maine lobster and oh yes, how about Moxie! lol
    Love ya,
    Maryella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:54 AM EDT

      Maryella, we may have to send Bonnie a care package with a couple cooked lobstah, some wild blueberry muffins and a quart of Moxie....that will fix her right up!! Ayuh!!! lol
      Faye in Maine

      Delete
  7. My motto is: I'll try anything once and if it kills me, I won't eat it again. Also just because I did not like something the first time, does not mean I won't like the way someone else makes it. But, like you, I just can't do the raw oyster thing, it makes me gag. I'm glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:50 PM EDT

    OH BONNIE - love the blocks you are working on there. Are they paper pieced? Looks super great, can't wait to see how you set them together. How DO you come up with all of your ideas?
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I recognize some of the fabric in those blocks from my own stash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:59 AM EDT

    Yeah, clams without the bellies are for whimps!! haha Here in Down East Maine, the menu does not include strips; why eat "rubber" when you can have the whole thing. lol
    Sooo love the geese blocks you are working on; they will be a great quilt soon. Glad you got some quiet time for you, after all the rushing around you've had to do.
    Actually I drove down state Saturday and on the way back stopped at a Marden's store and picked up some Hoffman batiks for $3.99/yd. How's that for adventure!! Have a safe journey home.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bonnie, I've seen these blocks several times and you had them laid out on a cutting board in one pic. I've figured out they're about 4" square?? I love them! I've tried to draft this but can't figure the math. My EQ has one but it only has 3 geese. Is this block in one of your books? I'd love to try my hand at this block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to laugh at myself because I'm more fascinated by the pretty blocks you are making than the Newport mansions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would also like to know where I can find the pattern for those beautiful blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on eating raw oysters. Just can't bring myself to try. Fry them up and I'm your girl. Those crabs sounded good too. Can't wait to see those little blocks put together. They're really cute.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)