>>>>

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sight-Seeing, Just a Bit!

Fran picked me up at the airport yesterday in Rhode Island, and drove me right into Massachusetts for some retail therapy!

I had told her about my quest to put together a kit of sewing things that would travel with me and NEVER LEAVE THE SUITCASE---

Because, you see – I did it AGAIN!

I have a small box that has scissors, seam ripper, thread, bobbins, thread snips, glue stick needles, pins ---etc----for machine-sewing on the road, and about half way to the airport it dawned on me that my box was still sitting right next to Barbie in the basement. UGH!

We hit a couple quilt shops, we hit Joanns, I even made a ditch into the dollar store for a pencil box to keep it all in. We went to Staples ---and now my box is just about full of what I need in there for it to just LIVE in the LUGGAGE.

The only thing I didn’t buy was “ANOTHER” rotary cutter because I have a couple spares at home that I can easily stick in here……so any Wild & Goosey piecing I do this week will just have to keep their rough edges and wait until I get home to be trimmed up.

The pic you see above is the beautiful sunrise that I witnessed from the air between Greensboro and Washington, DC! It was the loveliest sunrise, only made spotty by a not so very crystal clear plane window. OH, I love seeing things from the air!

One of the first places we drove by after we loaded up all the luggage into Fran's car was the Rhode Island state capital in Providence:

RhodeIsland2012 012

I jumped out at the red light to catch this one from the sidewalk…I love capital buildings too!

RhodeIsland2012 015

This one is fun too, it’s from the car window as we continued our driving tour up and around the capital building. Where were we headed?

RhodeIsland2012 018

To catch a glimpse of the famous Brown University, of course! ((Through the windshield!))I am told they only open these gates at graduation time. Such a beautiful campus! Do you see that the trees here haven’t leafed out yet? It’s getting close though! I think the NE is only about 3 weeks behind where we are with our North Carolina spring.

RhodeIsland2012 024

Of course I had to jump out and take a picture of the bay on the bay side!

RhodeIsland2012 027

And the Atlantic ocean on the ocean side Do you see that gull on the biggest rock toward the center? He just sat there, strong winds and all ---hard to see, I know, but he’s there!

RhodeIsland2012 030

Of course I had to get a pic of the lighthouse ---- this one isn’t open to the public, it’s a functional light house and manned by the US Coast Guard.

RhodeIsland2012 037

There he is --- still sitting there! Crazy Bird!

RhodeIsland2012 038

Further up the road is the Ocean House hotel. What a majestic place! Supposedly there are suites here that are rented for $10,000 a NIGHT. No thanks, that cuts into my fabric budget!

RhodeIsland2012 039

Here is farther to the back –wish I could have seen inside this place, it was gorgeous!

There were many many mansion houses we drove by – unbelieveable!

RhodeIsland2012 041

Houses like this just sitting there with the most magnificent view! And these were small potatoes compared to some ---

RhodeIsland2012 042

How would you like THIS as your front yard? WOW! I love rocky beaches. I’d love to be sewing in an upstairs room overlooking this kind of view --- doesn’t it take your breath away?

RhodeIsland2012 044

Dinner was at Matunuck Oyster Bar ---- you should watch this guy at work just shucking away! As for me? I had the grilled bluefish stuffed with crab, and sautéed snow peas --- YUMMMMM!

That brings me to this morning. Although I set up the machine last night, by the time I got this post written and ready to go for this morning, I was too tired to do anything else but crawl into bed.

Today is a busy full day. We are doing a Basket-weave Strings workshop til 3pm and then dinner, and then a lecture tonight – ((MINUS ONE CASE OF BOOKS THAT IS STUCK SOMEWHERE IN INDIANA!!))

Thursday morning I head out for MQX and the Quilters by the Sea in Portsmouth ---will I even get time to sew?

It’s all set up, just in case I can catch 20 minutes here and there!

Oh, and before I forget..GO NOW! Go back to see the "What's On YOUR Bed" Post! There are over 50 beds shown, it's a regular bed turning --- it is so fun to see what quilts are on people's beds and actually in use! The linky is open for a few more days yet, so feel free to add your blog post to the list too!

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

15 comments:

  1. Nice to have a permanent set of tools for your luggage. Just wait until the next time TSA has a look through your things. They are going to discover that you are a quilt terrorist. They won't just leave you a nice little note then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That train derailment was right near me - a switching problem or some such thing caused two trains to hit head on. Big pictures in yesterdays newpaper. Hope your books arrive, but I'm betting they won't - there was stuff all over the place in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born and raised in Newport,RI. LOVE the photos - makes me homesick .....do more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue fish and crab and snow peas! YUM! Wish I was there to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the pictures! It's been too long since I've seen the RI beaches. Love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:16 AM EDT

    ROFL... time for a Momma Julie quiz I see. Pick one of the 3, ONLY.
    1 - You never wanted to go anyway so you 'forgot' your tools
    2 - You wanted to have something very important to you to come home to.
    3 - You are a secret scatterbrain!

    UMM, now I am wondering lol.
    Have a great stay.
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really wanted to travel much, but seeing your pictures is making me change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shots of the gull on the rock at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm from New England, even though I live in VA now, so those rocky beaches definitely bring me back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't believe you are so close!! Enjoy southern New England and you trip through Massachusetts to Maine!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue in Scottsdale, AZ5:54 PM EDT

    Bonnie, thanks for posting these pictures. I grew up in Rhode Island and my dad worked down the street from the capital building. My high school graduation took place in the gym at Brown University. I spent many summers hanging out several Narragansett beaches. Oh the memories your pictures brought back. I've been in Arizona over 37 years now and I still miss the beaches, the big mansions in Newport, and especially all the local sea food. Enjoy your stay in Rhode Island. I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, You can see some of the interior of Ocean House. Their website has a very nice gallery of pictures of accommodations and special suites. Great views from the rooms!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to view lighthouses, old homes, water views, and capital buildings in different states. Thanks for sharing all the things I like too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful view! Would ya know I sat down to sew two nights ago and my machine light burned out. Went to 2 hardwares and a auto parts store last night and could not find one. Came home and went on line and found them and a few extra accessories to go in my 'travel' kit. Order has been sent and in the meantime I am using a christmas bulb. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:31 AM EDT

    Oh Bonnie, I bet just maybe a half dozen of your students will have a spare rotary cutter for you to "borrow" so you can "carry on with the sewing".

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)